996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Rear fog light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Jeremy Pritchard,

I can understand the necessity for rear fog light but cannot accept that 1 rear light is better than 2. My general thinking is this....a driver approaching you from the rear will see one light. Like some CA drivers there will be the likelihood that the driver will be an idiot and not know anything about the DS rear fog light. If he decides to pass on the right, he may not know how wide the vehicle is ifo him. With 2 lights illuminated, anyone approaching quickly from the rear will know the position of the vehicle ifo them. If the U.S. will implement rear fog lights every driver will be more aware of their location. Until then I think 2 lights are better than 1.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Seems logical to me that the side the rear fog lite is activated on has something to do with which side of the road is driven on for the country the vehicle is delivered to.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM
properformance1 is on a distinguished road
I hate single foglights

Old 10-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
I came across this old thread after I removed my rear taillights to polish the car and discovered that the right side has a socket and the brown/grey wires coming out of it just like the left side. So, I bought an identical bulb for the right and thought it would light up when the rear fog light was switched on. But no! What's missing here?

BTW, my car is a 2001.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Long Islander
I came across this old thread after I removed my rear taillights to polish the car and discovered that the right side has a socket and the brown/grey wires coming out of it just like the left side. So, I bought an identical bulb for the right and thought it would light up when the rear fog light was switched on. But no! What's missing here?

BTW, my car is a 2001.
Glad I still have my password. I sold my '99 2 yrs ago and regret it. Anyways, you're going to have to splice the wiring from the left rear fog light to the right side. Simple job, shouldn't take more than 15 mins. Remember to splice brown-to-brown and grey-to-grey. Hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:20 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Long Islander

BTW, my car is a 2001.
there's nothing wrong with your right foglight even tho there's a socket for it. ONLY the left side will light up.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MkC2S
there's nothing wrong with your right foglight even tho there's a socket for it. ONLY the left side will light up.

Yes, indeed. But I thought that since the wiring and socket were there, all it needed was a bulb. I suppose at the factory, when they code the car as left hand drive, the left side becomes active and vice versa for right hand drive cars. Otherwise, what would be the point of having the wiring already in place?

Old 10-27-2016, 03:51 PM
jeffz is an unknown quantity at this point
Good point, LI.
I bet about 2% of American drivers know rear fogs exist. Most prob. would think your back-up lights were on if you had 2 rear fogs. They'll prob. rear end you anyway since they're playing pok e mon go or some dumb sht.
Can you tell I have little respect for American drivers?
I agree the old, single ones mounted below the bumper are best.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by jeffz
Good point, LI.
I bet about 2% of American drivers know rear fogs exist. Most prob. would think your back-up lights were on if you had 2 rear fogs. They'll prob. rear end you anyway since they're playing pok e mon go or some dumb sht.
Can you tell I have little respect for American drivers?
I agree the old, single ones mounted below the bumper are best.
Vehicles cleared for American roadways have "white" back up lights. Not quite like the red fog light(s) used on most European vehicles. White lights, to me, are considered to be driving lights. Forward facing fog lights have always been yellow/amber in my book.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:43 AM
Tony Fowler is an unknown quantity at this point
rear fog light wiring

just for your info, the bulb and wiring to the bulb exist within the rear light assembly, however you will find there are 6 wires coming into the rear light assembly for the side with the fog light and only 5 for the non fog light side, I know I just checked as I need to change sides for a UK MOT or have both sides lit.
Just wondering the best place to run the wire.......

Old 11-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tony Fowler
just for your info, the bulb and wiring to the bulb exist within the rear light assembly, however you will find there are 6 wires coming into the rear light assembly for the side with the fog light and only 5 for the non fog light side, I know I just checked as I need to change sides for a UK MOT or have both sides lit.
Just wondering the best place to run the wire.......
I don’t own my 1999 Porsche anymore so I can only reply with what I can remember.

The left rear rear fog light had two wires brown and gray. The right rear fog light had the same two colored wires and an empty socket so you’ll have to get a matching one for the right side.

I ran my two wires under the metal strip located where the trailing edge of the compartment lid when closed. I think there were 5 sheet metal screws securing it. Hope this info helps you.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:23 PM
riceball is an unknown quantity at this point
I always wondered the same thing about the lights in the back. Thanks for clearing that up!

Old 05-06-2020, 11:58 PM
You’re going to have to splice left side wiring to the right. Same colored wire to same on right side.