6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   Rear Spoiler Failure (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/296317-rear-spoiler-failure.html)

Montescew 01-01-2013 04:11 PM

Rear Spoiler Failure

Hi Guys:

I own a 2001 TT w/ around 14K on the clock.

Today I started the car up and raised the spoiler manually, I got a Rear Spoiler Failure light after it fully extended or very close to it. It will not go up or down right now even when using the dedicated switch inside the car. Never had one light pop up ever before and this is the first issue to date. Very solid car!

I hear this is a common problem, my question is how should I try to troubleshoot this issue and where to start???

Cheers,

-Rob

Darthvader 01-01-2013 04:57 PM

Check for traces of hydraulic fluid around all 4 connectors

leftlane 01-01-2013 07:07 PM

Do a search on here - you'll find hundreds of related threads. Also, post in the 996TT forum to get more responses.

Hurdigurdiman 01-03-2013 04:14 PM

Take the car up past 75 and back and leave the manual part alone if it has returned to normal.

Darthvader 01-03-2013 04:17 PM

I converted mine to fixed height with a kit. Best thing I have done on the car.

01slvr996 01-16-2013 06:53 PM

I just picked up a can of 11 S, i'm going to try and fill and reseal my leaking RAM.

denversteve 02-09-2013 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Montescew (Post 3731747)
Hi Guys:I own a 2001 TT w/ around 14K on the clock. Today I started the car up and raised the spoiler manually, I got a Rear Spoiler Failure light after it fully extended or very close to it. It will not go up or down right now even when using the dedicated switch inside the car. Never had one light pop up ever before and this is the first issue to date. Very solid car! I hear this is a common problem, my question is how should I try to troubleshoot this issue and where to start??? Cheers,
-Rob

Hmmm. Another who doesn't follow up on threads.

Montescew 02-10-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by denversteve (Post 3764831)
Hmmm. Another who doesn't follow up on threads.

???, I view all the threads on my phone for your information Steve and rarely have time to check on my computer. I have also PM'd a few users with regard to this problem. My spoiler has an issue and what more do you want me to say about it, I appreciate the helpful insight some have provided. Some people like yourself never cease to amaze me, seriously!

Empyreal 02-11-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Montescew (Post 3765582)
???, I view all the threads on my phone for your information Steve and rarely have time to check on my computer. I have also PM'd a few users with regard to this problem. My spoiler has an issue and what more do you want me to say about it, I appreciate the helpful insight some have provided. Some people like yourself never cease to amaze me, seriously!

I think what Steve is referring to is that this is a *very* common problem on the TT's. There have probably been 100+ pages written about it, and several solutions for it:
  • Replace with aftermarket wing
  • Fixed wing hack using ebay solution to keep wing in up position
  • Try to seal hydraulic cylinders with stop-leak
  • Buy a new one for $$$$$

So, instead of re-hashing this, it's best to do a search on here, Rennlist or Renntech. There are some great tutorials on how to try to fix it with stop-leak.

Cheers.