996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Rear Spoiler Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Montescew can only hope to improve
Rear Spoiler Failure

Hi Guys:

I own a 2001 TT w/ around 14K on the clock.

Today I started the car up and raised the spoiler manually, I got a Rear Spoiler Failure light after it fully extended or very close to it. It will not go up or down right now even when using the dedicated switch inside the car. Never had one light pop up ever before and this is the first issue to date. Very solid car!

I hear this is a common problem, my question is how should I try to troubleshoot this issue and where to start???

Cheers,

-Rob

Old 01-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
Check for traces of hydraulic fluid around all 4 connectors

Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Do a search on here - you'll find hundreds of related threads. Also, post in the 996TT forum to get more responses.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Take the car up past 75 and back and leave the manual part alone if it has returned to normal.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
I converted mine to fixed height with a kit. Best thing I have done on the car.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM
01slvr996 will become famous soon enough01slvr996 will become famous soon enough
I just picked up a can of 11 S, i'm going to try and fill and reseal my leaking RAM.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Montescew
Hi Guys:I own a 2001 TT w/ around 14K on the clock. Today I started the car up and raised the spoiler manually, I got a Rear Spoiler Failure light after it fully extended or very close to it. It will not go up or down right now even when using the dedicated switch inside the car. Never had one light pop up ever before and this is the first issue to date. Very solid car! I hear this is a common problem, my question is how should I try to troubleshoot this issue and where to start??? Cheers,
-Rob
Hmmm. Another who doesn't follow up on threads.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Montescew can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by denversteve
Hmmm. Another who doesn't follow up on threads.
???, I view all the threads on my phone for your information Steve and rarely have time to check on my computer. I have also PM'd a few users with regard to this problem. My spoiler has an issue and what more do you want me to say about it, I appreciate the helpful insight some have provided. Some people like yourself never cease to amaze me, seriously!

Last edited by Montescew; 02-10-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Empyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Montescew
???, I view all the threads on my phone for your information Steve and rarely have time to check on my computer. I have also PM'd a few users with regard to this problem. My spoiler has an issue and what more do you want me to say about it, I appreciate the helpful insight some have provided. Some people like yourself never cease to amaze me, seriously!
I think what Steve is referring to is that this is a *very* common problem on the TT's. There have probably been 100+ pages written about it, and several solutions for it:
  • Replace with aftermarket wing
  • Fixed wing hack using ebay solution to keep wing in up position
  • Try to seal hydraulic cylinders with stop-leak
  • Buy a new one for $$$$$

So, instead of re-hashing this, it's best to do a search on here, Rennlist or Renntech. There are some great tutorials on how to try to fix it with stop-leak.

Cheers.