996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail Lights Installed on 996 Carrera (Kundalini Update)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Kundalini is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up LED Tail Lights Installed on 996 Carrera (Kundalini Update)

It has been awhile since stopping by .... but after installing the LED Tail Lights on the 996 this weekend, I realized that this would be the perfect place to share the experience for those considering the change. Do it! It is a great upgrade and makes the cars age very hard to figure out.

Here is a link to my personal webpage for the car, which has the large photos of the parts, process, and the one modification I had to make for the installation:
http://www.billandval.com/en/travel/...0Kundalini.php

I bought the LED tail light kit for the 996 from Spyder Auto on Amazon. The parts came within a week and were unbroken (yeah!). No instructions came with the stuff, but I was able to figure it out.

Since the last set of posts about the beautiful toy, this big smiling bald guy has moved to Orlando FL from Atlanta GA, driven the car about 4000 miles (with 3987 top down), and never been happier or had more fun with any vehicle. Since my last posting, these are the updates to Kundalini:
1. Installed new LED Tailights
2. Removed the pumkin lights and replaced with clear
3. Updated the wheel centers (bigger Porsche logo)

If you find yourself visiting Orlando to see Mickey Mouse, and you see a bald guy in a magnificant 996 Carrera with an absurdly large smile whizzing by, honk and wave!

-Bill

Last edited by Kundalini; 01-13-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Kundalini that looks great! I think I might seriously consider this mind mod.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:02 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
I have the same lights. I like them better than the other style that recently came out. I have the LED headlights as well and that updates the front a lot!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM
BigDaddy will become famous soon enoughBigDaddy will become famous soon enough
Bill,

your Exhaust tails look kinda weird to me !!!
At first i thought you installed them wrong sided...never saw exhaust tips like those you have !!!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Bill,

your Exhaust tails look kinda weird to me !!!
At first i thought you installed them wrong sided...never saw exhaust tips like those you have !!!
I think they're on upside down and probably switched left/right.. You can see the part number on them. (2nd to last photo).

Beautiful car by the way!

Last edited by wyovino; 01-14-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Kundalini is on a distinguished road
Smile Back Up Camera

Thanks for the feedback!

Interestingly, my Alpine backup camera and warning system now goes off when the car headlights are turned on. I assume the warning system (which has moving object tracking boxes, etc.) is triggered "on" by a change in voltage to the lighting system (as a side effect of the white bulbs coming on when backing)... and now with the LED lights, that voltage amount has changed. I've done zero research into this as yet, so I could be totally off base...but it is my working theory at the moment. I had the camera and backing system installed at an audio shop, so a call to them may be in order.

As it relates to the exhaust pipes, they are Gemballa and were installed by the PO. I will look into this a bit. Upside down and backwards?!? Damn, seems to be the story of my life at times. Thanks!!

-Bill