996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Battery or Alternator???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:59 PM
brapp is on a distinguished road
Battery or Alternator???

My sears gold diehard battery is only a little over 1 year old and now it seems to not fully start my car2002 996 cabrio without a quick battery charge from jumpers.

Do i need a new battery or after the car is started and run, is the power not charging the alternator enough to restart car the next day..

Could something be draining the battery?? Please Help..Thank You..

Old 05-11-2014, 09:21 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
It could be the battery but I doubt it. It can be the charging system or a short that is draining the battery. You have to test the system to find out.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:29 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
When the car is running where is the volt meter needle? I would also have the electrical system checked Sears will test the battery free to see if it's fully charged.
Also, one thing I found out the hard way is if you leave the sun roof open or a window open the alarm acts differently which would drain the battery.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:14 PM
brapp is on a distinguished road
I think something is draining/shorting the battery but i do not know what. I have installed leds and ran them to the battery but i have had them on for over a year with no problems..
When my car is running the volt needle is at 14 but just before starting(had to jump it) it read between 12 and 13..What would that indicate?

Thanks guys..
Brian

Old 05-15-2014, 06:18 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brapp
I think something is draining/shorting the battery but i do not know what. I have installed leds and ran them to the battery but i have had them on for over a year with no problems..
When my car is running the volt needle is at 14 but just before starting(had to jump it) it read between 12 and 13..What would that indicate?

Thanks guys..
Brian
It still indicates you need to have your electrical system checked.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Check the ground strap from. The engine to the frame.