996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How to Clean Cabriolet Windscreen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 01:31 PM
See-ya is on a distinguished road
How to Clean Cabriolet Windscreen

996 Cab.
I am on my second windscreen. I could never find any info on the proper way. What someone told me is to use detailer spray and just do it so many times until the cloth came off clean. I am ok with that but want to know if I can just gently wash it with soapy water or is that a no no. The detailer spray is good because it coats it but after so many times it probably becomes gooky and picks up dust. Any suggestions

Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Are you asking about the wind-screen or rear window? If wind-screen - use windex or any other glass cleaner. If you are referring to the rear window, I have always used Plexus. It works excellently.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:38 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Are you asking about the wind-screen or rear window? If wind-screen - use windex or any other glass cleaner. If you are referring to the rear window, I have always used Plexus. It works excellently. If you are referring to a wind deflector, use Plexus or any other plastic/interior cleaner.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:54 AM
DenverSteve, I am referring to the collapsible windscreen. I was told never to use Windex on it. I can't find any reference in the Porsche manual on how to clean it.

My rear window is plastic which is still clear, but starting to come off slowly from putting the top up and down and the only thing to do is replace the top ...yipeee (I will replace the top with a top upgrade that comes with a glass window).

thanks

Old 08-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Any interior cleaner/UV protector designed for plastics like Einszett or Plexus will easily protect your wind deflector.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Thank you DenverSteve, I did gently wash it yesterday and glad I took it out. I forgot how much dust sticks to it and the sides of the rear seat.. I will look for those products to give it protection.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
You could just leave the top down and take her through the car wash, Do I have to think of everything....

Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
windscreen is a PITA, sold mine on ebay..Id hose it off, let dry and spray 303 on it.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Yes it is barncobob. The first one started getting holes i think from the cleaners I was using on them.
I found the one I have now on ebay from a new 997 - brand new - and it fit perfectly.
I think the detailer spray i use has the UV protection like the 303, so I am good. I was really looking to see if there was something special about them.