996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help, I think my stereo is possessed

Old 09-24-2014, 07:50 AM
vettegirl is on a distinguished road
Help, I think my stereo is possessed

My 2000 C2 has the CDR-220 stereo, which I am beginning to think is suffering from demonic possession. In the past 2 weeks it has:

Refused to power on, no matter how hard, soft, long or short I press the power button.

Once it powered on with no problem for my husband, the volume would increase no matter which direction I turned the volume ****. It ended up at 45+ and would not power off no matter what I did (of course when I had my husband look at it it worked flawlessly).

Today when I got in the volume was set very low. When I tried to turn it up, it would only go to 1+, 2+, 1+, 2+ - no matter which direction I turned the volume ****. Then I drove over a railroad track and all of a sudden volume was at 40+ , volume increases no matter which way I turn the ****, and unit will not power off!

Short of burning some sage in the car or enlisting the help of a priest what can I do (except sign the car over to my husband, as it seems to prefer him??).

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:04 AM
theclutch is on a distinguished road
There's been a lot of thread with 996 stereo being "possessed". I believe it has something to do with the amp. Try turning on the stereo AFTER the car has completely warmed up. i.e. - do NOT start the car with the radio on. See if that helps. If it functions normally after the car has warmed up, then it's most likely a bad amp which has been shown to be an issue for these cars.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Yes, it could be the amp, but it also could be the head unit is just going bad, which happens.