996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Car won't start in PARK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:24 PM
blackonblack996 is on a distinguished road
Car won't start in PARK?

Recently, I have noticed that I jump into my car and turn the key only to hear everything But the starter. It's like there is some safety switch that's wearing out that tells my car it's OK to start, because my car is in PARK.

BUT, when I shift into NEUTRAL, it starts right up. This happens at random, though I can say it's been twice in 2 days. Previously, it happened just the one time a couple months ago.

IS THERE a part perhaps in my shifter that needs to be replaced? This is an Automatic shifter.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:15 AM
Van C2 Cab will become famous soon enough
Sounds like neutral safety switch

Old 04-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blackonblack996
Recently, I have noticed that I jump into my car and turn the key only to hear everything But the starter. It's like there is some safety switch that's wearing out that tells my car it's OK to start, because my car is in PARK.

BUT, when I shift into NEUTRAL, it starts right up. This happens at random, though I can say it's been twice in 2 days. Previously, it happened just the one time a couple months ago.

IS THERE a part perhaps in my shifter that needs to be replaced? This is an Automatic shifter.
There is I'm sure a safety interlock switch that closed when the transmission gear selector is in Park and Neutral, the switch being closed to indicate the transmission is not in gear and it is ok to engage the starter.

It reads like the Park switch is not being closed. Because it doesn't happen all the time it is probably because the switch is wearing out though the gear selector "linkage" may have developed some slop and is not fully depressing the switch.

If you play around with the gear selector, pull it towards you or push it away from you or apply pressure in some other direction and can affect the engine start, I would attribute this to excessive "linkage" slop.

You don't want to tear into the gear selector hardware not knowing what you are up against and I can't advise you on this task.

However, a Porsche tech has probably seen this a number of times and would know what to do.

If you don't receive some specific guidance on what to tear into from someone who has been down this road before my advice would be to take it to a Porsche tech for diagnosis and repair.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:05 PM
blackonblack996 is on a distinguished road
Good advice, guys. I too was thinking Neutral Safety Switch, but did not wish to influence your responses. I will check this out in the 911 maintenance manual and see how "bad" this procedure can be.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.