996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Adjustable Lower Control Arms for lowered 996

Old 06-29-2017, 06:03 AM
surahman1 is a jewel in the roughsurahman1 is a jewel in the roughsurahman1 is a jewel in the roughsurahman1 is a jewel in the rough
Adjustable Lower Control Arms for lowered 996

My 2002 996 is lowered using Bilstein PSS10 coilover suspension system. It height adjustable, but even the highest setting its significantly lower than stock. As a result of having a lowered car, the insides of the rear tyres wear out quickly due to too much negative camber (which cannot be adjusted to reutral).

I was considering getting a set of “Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms” (there are many brands available) to be able to adjust the camber to be less negative, but then it was pointed out to me the current Cargraphic racing wheels that’s on the car is almost touching the guards and it looks like the guards have been rolled out already to accommodate the wheels. So now I am thinking of getting a set to of “Adjustable Lower Control Arms” to be able achieve the same result (reduce too much negative camber).

During my research I found two brands that make this item for my 996. One is form “Elephant” and here is the think:
http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/controlarm/996-997/996-997-control-arms.htm
And the other is from SPC. I see pelicanparts stock both these items. Has anybody used either of these adjustable lower control arms to adjust the camber of a lowered 996 and can recommend one over the other (or some other brand altogether) ?

Old 07-09-2017, 04:00 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
aftermarket components with more adjustability do help but the excessive inner tire wear is more due to toe setting.
I'm not sure how much camber you have but running -2.5 camber, my tire wear is pretty even. You need to find a shop that's familiar with these cars and set up good toe

Old 07-09-2017, 05:32 PM
surahman1 is a jewel in the roughsurahman1 is a jewel in the roughsurahman1 is a jewel in the roughsurahman1 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for your input. If adjusting the camber doesn't help I see you can also buy after market "Rear Adjustable Lower Toe Control Arms/Track Rods"
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...-arm-track-rod

I will check what my Porsche mechanic has to say on this

Old 07-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Rear tire wear

The posters above nailed it. Get upper control arms (dog bones) and adjustable toe links. Also check your rear sway bar for rubbing. The factory drop links are too short. Adjustable drop links are very robust but they are noisy as the use hiem joints instead of rubber. You can put dust boots on them and pack them with grease to cut down the noise.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.