996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New Hankook tyres feel like I'm floating - what can I do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Simonxyz is an unknown quantity at this point
New Hankook tyres feel like I'm floating - what can I do?

Hi

Based on an online review and ATS advice I have just replaced standard Michelin with run-flat Hankook tyres on my Mini Cooper-S.

Having covered around 100 miles, if driven quickly through corners the car now feels as if it is “floating” and at significant risk of oversteering. In short if I had to perform an emergency steering manoeuver I have no confidence in retaining control.

I therefore have several questions:
1) Has anybody else had this experience?
2) I am new to run-flats, is this floating sensation of the back-end wanting to be in front normal?
3) What are my legal rights in respect of getting them swapped for a more reputable brand like Pirelli or am I now £440 out of pocket after being swayed by a combination of advice on this site and comments by the manager at ATS?

Thank you

Old 08-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Simonxyz
Hi

Based on an online review and ATS advice I have just replaced standard Michelin with run-flat Hankook tyres on my Mini Cooper-S.

Having covered around 100 miles, if driven quickly through corners the car now feels as if it is “floating” and at significant risk of oversteering. In short if I had to perform an emergency steering manoeuver I have no confidence in retaining control.

I therefore have several questions:
1) Has anybody else had this experience?
2) I am new to run-flats, is this floating sensation of the back-end wanting to be in front normal?
3) What are my legal rights in respect of getting them swapped for a more reputable brand like Pirelli or am I now £440 out of pocket after being swayed by a combination of advice on this site and comments by the manager at ATS?

Thank you
Have you considered complaining to the ATS manager and seeing if there's anything he/she can do?

As for the floating sensation about all I can advise is be sure the tires are properly inflated and if they are unidirectional they are mounted in the right direction.

I would hope the tires selected are at least compatible with the wheels?

Unless you find a problem with the inflation pressures, tire mounting or sizing, about all I can then suggest is you get a proper set of tires, run flats or the regular kind but tires that BMW/MINI sanction for use on the car and with the wheels that are on the car and then try to sell the Hankook tires to recoup some of the cost of the tires.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:22 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Lot of tires take 100+ miles to scrub in. I've had 3 MINI S cars as daily drivers and the Dunlop DSST is the tire I settled for in respect to runflats. I wish I had abandoned runflats and just opted for a very sticky competition tire. Grip is everything. My new daily driver (Focus RS) came with Michelin Cup 2s. UNREAL grip! I'll never go back to settling for less grip.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:39 PM
gaffa is infamous around these partsgaffa is infamous around these partsgaffa is infamous around these partsgaffa is infamous around these partsgaffa is infamous around these partsgaffa is infamous around these parts
Run flats are atrocious, for old people Floating sensation usually comes form lack of rigidity in the tire wall and or tyre pressures. The other thing is lots of chemicals on the tires until about 500 miles, I think one of the above replies mentioned the same. To add, when's the last time you had a 4 wheel geometry done ? All contributes to handling feel.

I would never skimp on cost for tires and or brakes, you'll never regret the extra money spent. Hope I may been of some help, all the best in getting it sorted.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:55 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Depending on the year of your Cooper S, you may need new suspension bushings. The stock OEM rubber ones don't last long, and once broken down the car really floats all over the place. New, more grippy tires, would only help pronounce that ill handling affect.