996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Orientation of MAF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Steviee8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Orientation of MAF

I was wondering if the MAF has to face a certain way inside the intake tube. I'm only asking because I just saw a picture of the K&N intake system and the plug wires are facing 180degrees from the way mine is sitting. Making me think that some ones is wrong. Only if there's is a difference or not. After looking at a MAF sensor I can't imagine there's a differen in if the air flows one way or another but maybe someone here knows for sure.

03 996 4S

Old 11-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Irish222222 is on a distinguished road
It def makes a diff on our cars. I’ve been working on a supercharger setup moving the MAF around and the MAF position has a made a big diff. However, the car will let u know if there is a problem. When I had it at bad positions it would idle very rough or not at all. In general it needs to catch straight airflow.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:37 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Haven't tried to mount a MAF rotated 180 degs. but the MAF out of my Boxster has its bolt holes offset so the MAF can only be installed in the stock intake in one direction.

I see nothing on the MAF to indicate which edge of the MAF should be pointed towards the air flow but the portion of the MAF that extends down into the air flow is not symmetrical. There is a cavity at the bottom of the trailing edge with some bare metal in it. Maybe this is the intake air temperature sensor? If it were facing towards the incoming air flow the sensor's performance could be affected.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.