996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 12:34 PM
edes300 is on a distinguished road
996 stereo upgrade

Looking for some advice on upgrading my stereo. I have a 2003 996 with the CDR-23 single disc player. There is an amplifier in the trunk but I don't have the BOSE speakers.

I am looking to upgrade the headunit to a double dinn style so that I can have bluetooth and Iphone compatibility.

I understand that I probably have the fiber optic MOST system making upgrades more difficult. Is it possible to simply use the existing speakers and hook up to the headunit and disconnect and bypass to the amp altogether? I would be ok with just using whatever power just comes from the head unit and the stock speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:42 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/953917-install-aftermarket-head-unit-in-most-car-without-removing-factory-amp.html

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-13-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:23 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
You can do it, as shown in the link above. That said, the OE speakers (Bose or standard) are the weakest link in the system. They are cheap speakers that really limit the sound quality of your system. Even if you decide to keep the factory amp, you should consider changing the speakers.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Alabamatoy is on a distinguished road
Crutchfield.com. Nuff said...

Old 08-24-2022, 11:51 AM
Xander996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

Just curious if anyone has gone with aftermarket speakers, what did they go with and were any modification required? I just ordered the PCCM+ unit for mine so I can keep the fiber wired amp (also understand it's a perfectly capable amp), but want to know if there's any special trouble shooting to do with the speakers all around. I have an '04 C2 Cab

Old 11-01-2022, 03:38 PM
otis1303 is on a distinguished road
I have a 05 Turbo S and just heard about the pccm+ upgrade and while it sounds very interesting. But I am confused as to how it links up with my present PCM unit. I have the PCM with the 6 CD changer in the frunk. I have heard that you may need some interface to connect it to the MOST that is used for my unit. Also I thought I heard that it doesn't use BT. Are these things true?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.