996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 2001 carrera alarm not active

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 PM
21K is an unknown quantity at this point
996 2001 carrera alarm not active

I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the alarm going completely dead. I've checked the fuses and they are all fine. I was opening the doors with the beeper a few weeks back, but all of the sudden the alarm stopped working. I can use the car by opening the doors with the key, no problem there. The trunk does not open automatically, but I believe that’s another issue as the engine compartment door opens ok. (I’ve already located the emergency cable).

Any recommendations? Is there a way to reset?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 21K
I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the alarm going completely dead. I've checked the fuses and they are all fine. I was opening the doors with the beeper a few weeks back, but all of the sudden the alarm stopped working. I can use the car by opening the doors with the key, no problem there. The trunk does not open automatically, but I believe that’s another issue as the engine compartment door opens ok. (I’ve already located the emergency cable).

Any recommendations? Is there a way to reset?

Thanks!
When you use the key button to try to lock/unlock the doors or trunk lids does the key module LED flash?

If not battery may be dead. In a few cases the key module cirucuit board is "dead" although I've read reports of some resurrecting the circuit board by addressing a bad solder joint or even replacing an electronic component.

Before you break out the soldering iron split the key head halves apart and remove the coin battery and insert it backwards for a moment or two.

This causes the circuit to completely lose power and is like flipping the big red switch on a PC.

If the LED doesn't flash after the above then battery may be dead or the circuit board bad.

If the LED flashes the key electronics and the car's electronics may just be out of "sync".

For some reason every once in a while my car's security system seems to forget or fail to recognize, get out sync with, one of my keys that was just working fine before, sometimes just a short time before.

When this happens I've had success in getting the key and the car "talking" again by inserting the key blade in the door lock and turning the key twice in rapid succession to the left. If this doesn't work try turning the key twice to the right.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:54 PM
21K is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for your quick reply!

The LED is working fine in the key set (battery is relatively new), as well as the car battery. The blinking light on top of the dash is not blinking anymore though. It is as if the alarm just decided to take a rest and got disconnected from the circuit. The fuses are fine. I’ve already checked them twice. The car strarts with the key..once in the switch, it activates everything.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 21K
Thanks for your quick reply!

The LED is working fine in the key set (battery is relatively new), as well as the car battery. The blinking light on top of the dash is not blinking anymore though. It is as if the alarm just decided to take a rest and got disconnected from the circuit. The fuses are fine. I’ve already checked them twice. The car strarts with the key..once in the switch, it activates everything.
The portion of the key that plays a role in the starting of the engine is separate from the circuit that plays a role in locking/unlocking the car.

The LED on top of the dash will only blink if the car is locked.

If the security system isn't recognizing the key door lock/unlock button push then the car is not locking.

You can lock the car with the key in the driver door's lock by turning the key once to the right. You should hear the locks at various places well, locking.

This will tell you if the basic system is working.

If it is then the small circuit board in the key head is suspect. Not that it is bad necessarily only in a goofy state.

Try the trick of reversing for just a couple of moments the battery in the key module battery holder. As I think I mentioned before this causes a hard reset of the key's circuit.

Then remove the key and install it right way 'round and put the key halves back together and try the button then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.