996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

US Specs for Rear Fog Lamps on 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 04:26 PM
Jglowien is an unknown quantity at this point
US Specs for Rear Fog Lamps on 911

On my 2001 911 2 Cab (purchased a year ago), I noticed that the right rear fog lamp was out, while the left rear worked fine. Turns out there was no bulb in the socket on the right. A friend in the local PCA chapter suggested that might be by design, with only one rear light required in the US. I also tested the circuit on the right and found no voltage in the wire, possibly supporting that notion. Anyone know if this is the way it is supposed to be?

Old 02-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
No voltage for that socket per spec...supposed to tell anyone behind you in the fog to pass on the side of the light...don’t ask me how I know...btw I have a spare bulb ($30) from Porsche if you need one!

Old 02-28-2019, 08:39 PM
Jglowien is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, as I Suspected ...

I noticed similar behavior on the BMWs and Audis I've had. BTW I already purchased 2 bulbs (Phillips P21W) matching the one on the left in case I needed one. Cost $2 each ...

Old 03-10-2019, 07:42 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
No voltage for that socket per spec...supposed to tell anyone behind you in the fog to pass on the side of the light...don’t ask me how I know...btw I have a spare bulb ($30) from Porsche if you need one!
And in countries with RH drive, the rear fog light specs are reversed - bulb on driver's side (right side) is wired while bulb on passenger's side (left side) is not.