996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

o2 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:06 PM
bzaniboni is an unknown quantity at this point
o2 911

Have an 02 911 Carrera4 when I turn the headlight switch to the left and pull out in order to turn on fog lights, it won't stay out and lights go out. Was wondering if this is a problem with the switch or is there another problem that might be causing this. Also just had the oil changed at a dealer since I got it back it only registers 3 bars on the oil level, dealers says it needs to be at 220degrees to register properly. Can anyone be of help with these issues. THANKS

Old 04-25-2019, 12:51 PM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bzaniboni
Have an 02 911 Carrera4 when I turn the headlight switch to the left and pull out in order to turn on fog lights, it won't stay out and lights go out. Was wondering if this is a problem with the switch or is there another problem that might be causing this. Also just had the oil changed at a dealer since I got it back it only registers 3 bars on the oil level, dealers says it needs to be at 220degrees to register properly. Can anyone be of help with these issues. THANKS
Faulty light switches are a pretty common on these cars. Keeping the oil level at the middle of the electronic indicator is ideal.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
The factory oil change instructions call for the oil to be changed hot. The engine oil is allowed to drain a certain amount of time then a specific amount of oil is put back in the engine. The tech at the dealer at any rate has a read out on the service bay oil gun he uses to refill the engine with oil so he knows how much oil he has put back in the engine.

The engine is started and allowed to idle long enough the fresh oil is up to temperature. The oil level reading is taken and the level should agree with the amount of oil added to the engine. Well, not the amount, as the digital oil level system doesn't really measure volume directly but just confirms the oil level sensor is submerged in oil to the correct level. But the level display should indicate full. This allows the tech to confirm the digital oil level system is working properly.

The oil level if it can be checked cold and hot -- which was the case with my 02 Boxster but *not* my 2003 Turbo -- the oil level can read low when checked cold yet read at the max line when checked hot and after the engine has sat long enough whatever oil is in a position to return to the oil sump can do so. My experience is the time it takes to refuel the car is long enough. And another sign the engine has sat long enough is the number of seconds to an oil reading is at 5. If any more I don't bother to take a reading.

If you check the oil level with the engine up to temperature which can have the oil at close to if not at 220F and the level is down below the max bar -- and the car is *level* -- my advice is to add oil to bring the level up to the max line. This ensures the engine has as good a supply of oil under all conditions yet the engine is not over filled with oil, which is not a good thing to do.

These engines due to their layout and with DOHCs and their performance capabilities (high RPMs and the g forces the car can generate under certain operating conditions) can have a considerable amount of oil suspended in the interior of the engine. This lowers the level of oil in the oil sump. This exposes the oil pump and the oil system to the risk of if not sucking in air because the oil level in the oil sump is very low but of just ("just") ingesting oil with some air still in it. This can result in the hydraulic lifters partially collapsing to rod or main bearing damage because oil with air in it does not have nearly the ability to prevent metal to metal contact at those critical areas.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:02 AM
bzaniboni is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil

Originally Posted by Macster
The factory oil change instructions call for the oil to be changed hot. The engine oil is allowed to drain a certain amount of time then a specific amount of oil is put back in the engine. The tech at the dealer at any rate has a read out on the service bay oil gun he uses to refill the engine with oil so he knows how much oil he has put back in the engine.

The engine is started and allowed to idle long enough the fresh oil is up to temperature. The oil level reading is taken and the level should agree with the amount of oil added to the engine. Well, not the amount, as the digital oil level system doesn't really measure volume directly but just confirms the oil level sensor is submerged in oil to the correct level. But the level display should indicate full. This allows the tech to confirm the digital oil level system is working properly.

The oil level if it can be checked cold and hot -- which was the case with my 02 Boxster but *not* my 2003 Turbo -- the oil level can read low when checked cold yet read at the max line when checked hot and after the engine has sat long enough whatever oil is in a position to return to the oil sump can do so. My experience is the time it takes to refuel the car is long enough. And another sign the engine has sat long enough is the number of seconds to an oil reading is at 5. If any more I don't bother to take a reading.

If you check the oil level with the engine up to temperature which can have the oil at close to if not at 220F and the level is down below the max bar -- and the car is *level* -- my advice is to add oil to bring the level up to the max line. This ensures the engine has as good a supply of oil under all conditions yet the engine is not over filled with oil, which is not a good thing to do.

These engines due to their layout and with DOHCs and their performance capabilities (high RPMs and the g forces the car can generate under certain operating conditions) can have a considerable amount of oil suspended in the interior of the engine. This lowers the level of oil in the oil sump. This exposes the oil pump and the oil system to the risk of if not sucking in air because the oil level in the oil sump is very low but of just ("just") ingesting oil with some air still in it. This can result in the hydraulic lifters partially collapsing to rod or main bearing damage because oil with air in it does not have nearly the ability to prevent metal to metal contact at those critical areas.
thanks

Old 05-03-2019, 07:26 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bzaniboni
thanks
In my opinion, unless you're changing the oil, it's best to let it sit up over night then check the level in the morning on level surface. Never overfill these cars with oil. Never get oversensitive while on trips and feel the need to add more oil every time your stop. Make sure the electronic oil level indicator reads oil at the middle of the gauge. Running it at tip top is risking. When the electronic indicator gets to the bottom, then add a half of quart.