996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Check out this subwoofer setup for you cab guys...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:21 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, oh what a christmas it would be

whatever.... and if i was stupid enough to put a 800 HP TT motor in my 996 it would smoke your "supercharged GT3".
what do you think of those apples?

i don't track my car and you don't have a supercharger... therefore, you get a beat down on the street

and actually, come to think of it. we have the same sway bars and i've got an upgraded suspension plus 120 more HP. with the right driver behind the wheel of mine, i'm not sure you could beat it at the track either
"BTW, on a road course like Sebring I would eat you up the way our cars sit today."
Your car probably weighs 1000 lbs more than mine does too....

Old 08-22-2006, 11:51 AM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by deputydog95
the sub boxes that Rod advertises that go on the rear passenger floor look terrible and if I remember right, don't come with the nicest of drivers. i already have one sub in the footwell from my bose setup. Yeck. I know Newport did the AI one and likes it, but I can tell you from experience and previous systems that one 8" sub is not going to be enough for me.
DD....I am teling you the one 8" JL in the AI Design box with enough power going to it will satisfy you....I was riding with the top down listening to a demo with my manager in the car...he routinely blows my speakers in the studio, a volume freak, and a bass freak....always telling me to buy more subs for the studio....well he was grinning from ear to ear until the police pulled me over for loud music in Hollywood! Gave me a warning, but the low end is LOUD...by the way, my amp is on 7 for the bass....still has some room to go...We were listening to rap music with a SUPER low kick drum, around 40hz and the entire system was clean and didnt distort at all...he was amazed. Not just amazed because it was in a Porsche, but because he had never heard a system so clear and clean with so much bass. Those were his words....Everyone EXCEPT AI Design said one 8" speaker would not be enough, AI Design said it was as loud and as clean as their dual 10" installs in the 996 coupes....I was skeptical, but I tried it and I am VERY happy with the sub....Wish you were in Cali for a demonstration....On the St Regis drive a few weeks ago, some of the guys said they kept looking around for some other car because they kept hearing some bass coming from somewhere, then the realised it was me...it wasnt really cranked that day......Food for thought....What kind aof music will you be listening to, and what are the rest of your speakers? That will be key....For this sub, you need something to keep up with the low end. Without the sub, I thought the high end was way to overhyped and actually turned the tweeters down....with the sub its perfect with the tweeters up....the balance is perfect.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:52 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I have seen that before. Why not just take the pic to a local guy to you and have him copy it out of fiberglass?

Old 08-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
DD i forgot you were in FL. my idea for ya was to call him and he can make something for you and ship it out why not throw 2 15's back there? just make a wall behind the front seats and have each 15 fire into your back!

you have the HP to make up for the added weight... and it should be loud enough

Old 08-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Miykl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by newport996
...Everyone EXCEPT AI Design said one 8" speaker would not be enough, AI Design said it was as loud and as clean as their dual 10" installs in the 996 coupes....I was skeptical, but I tried it and I am VERY happy with the sub.....
Internal box design and placement of the box can make a huge difference. Bass actually increases in DB as it reflects. ....A rear facing sub will sound louder than one facing you in a car/suv... or placing your home surround sound sub in the corner of a room will increase the sub volume...

I'm breaking out my rusty design skills to try something in mine. Just because I have them, I'll be using either one or two 10" JL Audio subs. I'm thinking either vented or ported band pass box. I want it to look as hidden as possible. We'll see were it ends up...

I'll probly end up with a a pile of crumpled up sketches, some scrap wood, and a few extra scrapes on my interior pieces B4 I throw in the towel and get the AI box. All part of the fun though!

Old 08-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Rocky is on a distinguished road
I've got a similar single sub box. It was a custom made sub box that was given to me by a fellow 6speeder. It can fit an 8 or 10 and just sits in the left rear seat perfectly without the cushion. Haven't had the time to set it up yet, and might not do it anymore. My ears are precious to me for work now. Might be up for grabs in a bit.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:26 PM
82targa is on a distinguished road
Newport, which JL 8 do you have? or do they only make one. I jsut replaced my jl 6w0's with new ones and am looking for more bass for the rap music. They handle everything else beautifully, just a tad weak on rap.

Has anyone ever seen the MTX Jackhammer? its 22" and a little over 350lbs!! http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/pro...Hammer_img.cfm

there it sits next to a basketball

and here are the specs:
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/pro...jackHammer.cfm

Last edited by 82targa; 08-22-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:40 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
now that's what i'm talking about

Old 08-22-2006, 08:20 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
I think its the JL 8w3

Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
i wish you were closer newport. i'd love to hear it.

i still don't see how one 8 can equal the output of two 8's or even two 10's. i understand that sub placement is crucial, but you're still only moving an 8" sub. and it's not like it some super special high output sub and you're running a 1000 watts to it. more air movement equals more bass. one 8 doesn't seem like it would be able to do the job. newport knows what he's talking about and seems to have similar musical interests. maybe i'll give it a try.

i can always add more subs

Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 PM
bubba is on a distinguished road
Deputy,
I've currently the full, 'top the line' Reus system in my C2 coupe. But, by the week's end I'll have installed the AI design box in addition to my extensively tuned (by me, to my ears) Reus gear. - I'm fairly sure this combo will provide me with accurate bottom-end I'm searching for... we shall see *fingers crossed*.

I'm located on the East Coast of Florida, but I'm in Orlando often. If you're interested, and up for a short drive, I'd be glad to meet in O-town for you take a listen.
- J

Old 08-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by bubba
Deputy,
I've currently the full, 'top the line' Reus system in my C2 coupe. But, by the week's end I'll have installed the AI design box in addition to my extensively tuned (by me, to my ears) Reus gear. - I'm fairly sure this combo will provide me with accurate bottom-end I'm searching for... we shall see *fingers crossed*.

I'm located on the East Coast of Florida, but I'm in Orlando often. If you're interested, and up for a short drive, I'd be glad to meet in O-town for you take a listen.
- J
that might work. we'll have to try and get together at some point soon. i'm always looking for an excuse to go to orlando.

why are you adding the sub to the "top of the line" reus setup? that's fairly pricey stuff to have the need to add more.... i've heard the reus system is lacking with regards to deep heavy bass, although i thought their deluxe setup included two more subs in addition to the one in the trunk.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by newport996
I think its the JL 8w3
is it on your receipt somewhere maybe? i checked JL's site. looks like the 8W3 is dicontinued.....

how much power are you putting to that sub? 250?

Old 08-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Its the 8w3v2....I have 280 watts going to the sub, but its on about 6 or 7 on the amp so maybe its really getting about 150-175....and like I said its LOUD...What amp are you thinking of using? I am usinf the Audison LRX 6.9 to run all the speakers in the car...75wx4 plus 280x1...

Old 08-22-2006, 11:16 PM
bubba is on a distinguished road
Deputy,
Yep, my Reus system has one 10" in the front (VERY limited deep bass output), and two 8" subs in the rear. Sadly, the rear subs don't seem capable of providing adequate levels of real bass (<40hz) without their enclosures resonating and interacting with the car's acoustics to a point where localization is possible. In other words, I can tell they're mounted behind me. Without the use of larger and very heavy enclosures ( there is reason proper home subs weigh 100lb +) I don't think I've any other option than the AI Design sub mounted up front to help create the much needed extra concussion. If I can tell where it's coming from, at least it'll be in front of me. I toyed with the idea of adding tactile transducers ( I-beam TV300s are amazing!) but there simply isn't room under the seats.

I've played the system in my car for some people who have left speachless. To me, it sounds - okay, but quite good for a car (I spent 100+ hours trying different values of resistors, caps and coils on the Reus gear - sounded too "hi-fi" to my ears when installed). -- I've been into hi-end home audio for twenty-years ... it's all relative to what you're used to, and looking for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check out this subwoofer setup for you cab guys...