996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

cars dead engine locked need help please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I agree take the car somewhere else.....Something just doesnt sound right.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:00 AM
CoreyNJ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gramicci101
I can tell you exactly what's going on. Your mechanic was trying to stiff you for money with an expensive, unnecessary item (head gaskets, dropped engine, etc...) This is similar to needing special HID headlight fluid. He screwed up the install, and the engine blew up. Now he's trying to cover himself by telling you it's your fault because you over-revved it (which you probably didn't anyways). He almost certainly had you sign some small-print form absolving him of all possible damages resulting from the maintenance, so you probably don't have a lot of legal recourse. Find a new mechanic.

Zookie: A type-1 overrev shouldn't hurt anything. This is you giving it too much gas and bouncing off the rev limiter. That's why the rev limiter is there, to stop you from hurting something. A type-2 overrev can potentially hurt your engine because the engine is being dragged mechanically above the redline. The rev-limiter can't stop that. If you go higher than the tolerances of the engine allow, you could break things. But it's a significant event that you would remember. (Like trying to shift from 5th to 4th and getting 2nd instead.) The extent of damage depends on what you did and for how long. Only a second or two might be a learning experience, or it might be a new engine, depending on how severe that second or two was.
Not trying to sound harsh, but I agree, the mechanic may have seen $$$$ when he saw you and messed up. Is this a shop that routinely works on porsches. Many porsches get a bad rep because owners goto independents who only see problems and $$$'s in front of them. This is one reason I use the dealer for anything major. Even though it's expensive they are not going to risk a multi-million dollar business to get a few extra hundred from me that could in the end cost me thousands and them their dealership.

Your best recourse is to go talk to your local dealer ask them to diagnose the car and write it up as if you are going to sue your mechanic. Then have the dealer fix it. This could involve a new reman motor about 10k installed, but you'd have a new 2 year warranty on the engine and work and never see that mechanic again.