996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

RSS Plenum Install and Dyno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
DD thanks for showing up. I certainly appreciate the work you put in.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:52 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John Romano
Dog, Very nice work, especially your wife's graph! While I'd like to see NA numbers too, can you tell a diif in the seat-of your-pants driving? Is there any sound diff?

Thanks, bro!! Great effort.
As far as seat of the pants, I'll be honest. I can't feel it. Then again, I have quite of bit of HP at this point so it makes it hard to tell small changes. On a dynojet I'd guess I'd be making around 510 crank hp at this point based on my previous runs.

No difference in sound that I can tell.

It was interesting seeing the stock plenum compared to the RSS unit. You can totally see why it works if you understand basic flow concepts.

I may be setting up another test on the same dyno with a bone stock 3.6 liter. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:55 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaded996
That’s quite impressive for such a bolt on part. Dog, do you know if they had a baseline from another NA 996 done on their dyno? Since the numbers are much lower that you expect to see on a dynojet or even a mustang it would be nice to know a relative baseline.

I used to have to explain the differences in dynos all the time when I had my bimmer and had it done on a mustang. It helped to show the stock baseline vs my car.

That is a very nice facility they have there by the way.
No, he didn't. Their specialty is air cooled and older water cooled models. I'm trying to set something up though.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:56 AM
I should have taken pics of the engine building and machining rooms. Too cool.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Ubermensch is on a distinguished road
Deputy, I calculated the torque figures directly from the hp numbers you gave: Torque=HP*5252/rpm

-Shawn

Old 03-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Deputy, I calculated the torque figures directly from the hp numbers you gave: Torque=HP*5252/rpm

-Shawn
what is that constant 5252, thanks in advanced

Old 03-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Ubermensch is on a distinguished road
It has to do with the units conversion...

To save myself some typing: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm

Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Banned
RSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond repute
Many Thanks from RSS

Hey There Deputy Dog,

Thank you very much for the extremely thorough and detail report on the RSS Plenum. It’s very refreshing to see a customer who actually delivers on their promises. All too often dealers and manufacturers are fed false promises of customer marketing and promotions only to see zero effort put forward. Don’t forget to mention that you did pay for this plenum. This wasn’t a free publicity stunt by any means. I don’t want the glowing reports putting doubt in some of the other member’s minds.

It’s 6 Speeders like yourself that are the reason for RSS joining this community. Threads like this, which truly provide quantitative and qualitative evaluations with substance, are what keep sick minded Porsche enthusiasts like us joining and coming back for more.

Thanks again for posting such a great comprehensive thread. Let me know when your friend is ready to install the plenum on his stock 996 3.6.

Cheers Again,
Greg

Old 03-31-2007, 07:28 PM
icemann633 is on a distinguished road
What is their labor rate DD and did they charge 1 hour for the install or 45mins?

Old 03-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Their labor rate was $85 per hour (if I'm remembering right) and they charged me for 45 mins. Very fair deal. If anything ever happens to my motor ( knock on wood that it doesn't), I'm bringing my car to them and building it to a 4.0 liter or something crazy like that

Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 AM
jlx
jlx is on a distinguished road
what was the charge for the dyno run and is that a typical fee?

Old 04-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by jlx
what was the charge for the dyno run and is that a typical fee?
If I remember right (need to look at my receipt), it was around 85 dollars for three runs. Yes, it's more expensive than runs on a Dynojet. However, the Dynapack costs three times as much and it takes much longer to hook the car up (jacking the car up, wheel removal, mounting the adapters to the hubs, and then finally hooking the dyno up to the adapters) than on your average drum dyno.

Another really cool thing about this dynapack dyno is that it has the ability to hold a certain RPM regardless of the throttle position (well, it's got to be at least the minimum to generate the rpm). You say, why would I want to do that? Custom mapping would be my answer He can pick very small rpm increments and individually map those specific points. Cool stuff. Can't do that on a dynojet. Man I hope he decides to start messing with the 996 code.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:04 PM
i300zxtt is an unknown quantity at this point
How much does he charge for tuning?

Old 04-01-2007, 04:08 PM
melsta has a spectacular aura aboutmelsta has a spectacular aura aboutmelsta has a spectacular aura about
would the plenum pass ca smog on a turbo 996

Originally Posted by RSSGREG
Hey There Deputy Dog,

Thank you very much for the extremely thorough and detail report on the RSS Plenum. It’s very refreshing to see a customer who actually delivers on their promises. All too often dealers and manufacturers are fed false promises of customer marketing and promotions only to see zero effort put forward. Don’t forget to mention that you did pay for this plenum. This wasn’t a free publicity stunt by any means. I don’t want the glowing reports putting doubt in some of the other member’s minds.

It’s 6 Speeders like yourself that are the reason for RSS joining this community. Threads like this, which truly provide quantitative and qualitative evaluations with substance, are what keep sick minded Porsche enthusiasts like us joining and coming back for more.

Thanks again for posting such a great comprehensive thread. Let me know when your friend is ready to install the plenum on his stock 996 3.6.

Cheers Again,
Greg

Old 04-01-2007, 04:11 PM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
Wowow I need one of these now!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RSS Plenum Install and Dyno