996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

FINISHED Kenwood DVD/NAV install and AC control mod- Pics and some DIY stuff

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:04 AM
snocrash is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hi guys, here is my first post on the forum. I just recently (3 days ago) purchased a 996 C4S. (Coming from a 2004 M3)

p0rsch3: first of all, great job ! it looks really nice.

I'm in exactly the same situation as flash, MY2002 C4S , BOSE and about to install a decent navi.

Currently I have the Porsche/Becker OEM TrafficPro , I assume that this one has porsche specific (non ISO?) contacts at the back.
What kind of wire adapter do I need to fit (I need to have it somewhat plug'n'play, cant do soldering or anything like that) the Kenwoood or any other DIN-ISO stereo ? Or does the OEM porsche stuff actually use 'normal' ISO connectors for all these wires?

For the BOSE setup, could anyone confirm that the amp gets highlevel input and not lineout ?

Do anyone have more detailed wireing manuals or documents that could PM to me ? Would be very greateful.

p0rcsch3, you wrote that the BOSE even sounds better with the kenwood main unit. Is it really that different considering you are using the same amp and all ? What main unit did you use before ?

excellent thread, and excellt forum! hope to get much more info here

Old 06-06-2007, 04:10 AM
icemann633 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by snocrash
Hi guys, here is my first post on the forum. I just recently (3 days ago) purchased a 996 C4S. (Coming from a 2004 M3)

I'm in exactly the same situation as flash, MY2002 C4S , BOSE and about to install a decent navi.

Currently I have the Porsche/Becker OEM TrafficPro , I assume that this one has porsche specific (non ISO?) contacts at the back.
What kind of wire adapter do I need to fit (I need to have it somewhat plug'n'play, cant do soldering or anything like that) the Kenwoood or any other DIN-ISO stereo ? Or does the OEM porsche stuff actually use 'normal' ISO connectors for all these wires?

For the BOSE setup, could anyone confirm that the amp gets highlevel input and not lineout ?

Do anyone have more detailed wireing manuals or documents that could PM to me ? Would be very greateful.

p0rcsch3, you wrote that the BOSE even sounds better with the kenwood main unit. Is it really that different considering you are using the same amp and all ? What main unit did you use before ?

are all 02+ MOST systems? I think they are and if that is so, you need to run new wire to each speaker...

If your car isn't MOST, then you can splice the factory harness and jump the wires of the kenwood unit to your factory speakers without running any wires.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:41 AM
it's not MOST (think most came very late 2002 , like November, my car is February).

Are there no standart DINISO adapters I could buy ? I'm not really confident I know how to split cables properly etc.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:12 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute

snocrash- congrats on your new pcar, post some pics in a new thread so we can check it out!!!

Please refer to my post #25 on page 2 here in this thread for the wiring info, as I did not want to cut / solder my wires either.
I had the CDR220 radio- you will only need what is in the radio manual and on the radio body for the wiring diagram I believe. There is one black w/red wire that is the power turn-on for the bose amp and is undocumented, on my radio it was on yellow plug C3. I'd suggest pulling out the head unit and taking a look first before getting started. The wiring really won't be that difficult. I think the sound is better from the Kenwood since it is better quality, and is outputting out a higher level to the amplifier input (high-level input).

Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
it's not MOST (think most came very late 2002 , like November, my car is February).

Are there no standart DINISO adapters I could buy ? I'm not really confident I know how to split cables properly etc.
early '02 is non-most, like mine. You don't need the ISO adapters as it is very easy to tap into the wires with a bunch of scotch-lock tap connectors (red color for all with a few blue ones on power leads).

you will need to buy a VW/Audi/Porsche non-powered antenna plug adapter ($10)

Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Maybe a bit OT, but why did they wire the bose amp with highlevel output from the mainunit ? I think all becker's come with lineout (at least the porsche OEM TrafficPro i have).

p0rsch3: do you have any URL to that adapter , just to make sure I get the right one

Old 06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Maybe a bit OT, but why did they wire the bose amp with highlevel output from the mainunit ? I think all becker's come with lineout (at least the porsche OEM TrafficPro i have).

p0rsch3: do you have any URL to that adapter , just to make sure I get the right one
I'm not 100% sure of the wire hookups for your TrafficPro, but I would guess it is going to be the same hi-level input. Take it out and have a look, it is not hard to remove it.

antenna adapter:
application guide: http://www.tss-radio.com/images/FM_A...apter_App..pdf

and: http://www.tune-town.com/antenna.asp (40-VW10)

picture: (the upper piece, the lower piece is an extension that you don't need.

Any car audio shop should have one, they are very common...

Old 06-06-2007, 03:15 PM
flash80 is on a distinguished road

I'm not 100%, but I purchased Metra harness 70-1787 for Audi/VW with the Bose system. I've read on other forums that this should work. I will post if it works properly.

If not, splicing wires is not a big deal and I'll probably go that route.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 AM
icemann633 is on a distinguished road

Your not confident on splicing wires but you are going to do this yourself?

I will help anyway I can but Im not so sure this would be recommended...

It is one thing to not WANT to splice, and then another thing to not feel COMFORTABLE splicing...

The good thing is, anything you splice can always be spliced back. As long as you insulate well enough there won't be a difference.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:14 AM
you want to use a bunch of these for the speaker wires and remote amp turn on:

and a few of these for the two power leads and ground:

Get at any Rat Shack or auto parts store

Old 06-08-2007, 09:42 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
looks great! Well done!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks DJ-
Was wondering if we can get a DIY section up on the boards here? Maybe create section links by model?

Would make it much easier to find the DIY stuff here- I sent you a PM a few days back about it.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 AM
snocrash- did you ever get your install completed? post some pics!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Wheelman is on a distinguished road
pOrsch3,

thanks for the writeup. I am scheduled to get my Kenwood 7100 with bluetooth, backup camera, and cd changer installed on Monday. I was teeter-tottering on which navi to buy when I read about yours. I want to keep the stock speakers and amp for now. The speakers sound fine to me for now. Can't wait and thanks again.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Wheelman
pOrsch3,

thanks for the writeup. I am scheduled to get my Kenwood 7100 with bluetooth, backup camera, and cd changer installed on Monday. I was teeter-tottering on which navi to buy when I read about yours. I want to keep the stock speakers and amp for now. The speakers sound fine to me for now. Can't wait and thanks again.
Awesome, good luck on the install. You'll be surprised how much better the Kenwood makes the stereo sound.
Heck, you probably won't need the CD changer- You can use an Ipod or external 8gb thumb drive hooked up to the USB instead.

I'd love to see how you mount your rear camera, post some pics!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: FINISHED Kenwood DVD/NAV install and AC control mod- Pics and some DIY stuff