996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Has anyone replaced the subs in the stock Bose enclosure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
DallasC4S is on a distinguished road
Tweety, Any luck on finding the part number on the AC relocation kit. I love the idea of not having to fabricate something myself. Thanks for checking!

Originally Posted by tweety
When you move the AC down, there is a new trim frame that can be bought as well as a new and deeper pocket (comes from the boxster).
I'll try and find the part numbers during lunch unless you can wait until I get home tonight. I bought my stuff from a sponsor out in Oregon- Sunset Porsche. nearly half the price from our local Texas stealers.
No cutting aside from the new trim surround for the AVIC that you will need.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:32 AM
tweety is on a distinguished road
When you get to the point of ordering these bits, call on your local stores and see about prices and then call on Sunset Imports out west. They are cost plus 15% and are nearly half of what I would have been hot for local here in town.

A/C trim ring for moving down to lowest position - 996.552.339.00.01C
Deeper cubby to go above A/C unit - 993.552.253.01.01C
* Note that this cubby is deeper than current one so things can't slide out *
Double Din Frame, only required if you do NOT have OEM NAV now - 996.552.231.12.01C

There are other posts that talk about locating a 12x12 inch Metra ABS plastic board as well as a spray can of Rust-o-leum paint that is labelled "For Plastics" and "Textured".
After at least 3 attempts to make the trim surround I then sample painted the textured stuff and it is damn near stock texture. Granted, one side is already textured but it looks bad so use the blank side and do it yourself.
I also then pulled the rest of the trim and pocket out and sanded them down to spray as well to make it all uniform.

If you wanted I could do a road trip and swing up to Big D to assist the install.
Another thing that you will need is the antenna adapter. Do NOT use what they call for on these sites. Pull the stock unit and take it in to your local stereo store. Some models use what is called the European adapter which fits Benz, BMW, and our cars. No, I don't have the item number for that. I tossed the package.

Last edited by tweety; 07-12-2007 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Thanks Tweety, that's VERY helpful! I also appreciate the offer to help. Makes me feel much better knowing I've got some backup if I get stuck on something.

When you get to the point of ordering these bits, call on your local stores and see about prices and then call on Sunset Imports out west. They are cost plus 15% and are nearly half of what I would have been hot for local here in town.

Double Din Frame, only required if you do NOT have OEM NAV now - 996.552.231.12.01C

There are other posts that talk about locating a 12x12 inch Metra ABS plastic board as well as a spray can of Rust-o-leum paint that is labelled "For Plastics" and "Textured".
After at least 3 attempts to make the trim surround I then sample painted the textured stuff and it is damn near stock texture. Granted, one side is already textured but it looks bad so use the blank side and do it yourself.
I also then pulled the rest of the trim and pocket out and sanded them down to spray as well to make it all uniform.

If you wanted I could do a road trip and swing up to Big D to assist the install.
Another thing that you will need is the antenna adapter. Do NOT use what they call for on these sites. Pull the stock unit and take it in to your local stereo store. Some models use what is called the European adapter which fits Benz, BMW, and our cars. No, I don't have the item number for that. I tossed the package.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:07 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute

Right- this is the standard path for moving the AC controls in pcars with factory nav.
The AC mod is moving the AC controls to the UPPER position with the pocket in the BOTTOM position. If you wish to do this some modding is required.
If you wish to put the AC control in the BOTTOM position as standard it is 'plug-n-play'.
You do not need to buy a double-din frame as it is one simple cut to convert your non-double-din frame.

Yes, I think you are referring to my DIY thread, thanks-
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ht=kenwood+nav
The Metra ABS sheet has scoring for cuts on the non-textured side built-in, so that is out. If you have a local arts / crafts store you can probably pick up a smooth piece of thin black ABS and hit it with the black texture paint. There is a template posted in my thread you can use for the surround trim.
If you buy the Kenwood DNX7100 it comes with an oversize trim plate you can cut / use. That's what I did and I have pics in my thread.

The antenna adapter required is for VW/Audi and fits Porsche. It is the non-amplified adapter and is about $20.
You want the one in this photo:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-591

Last edited by p0rsch3; 07-12-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:15 AM
You guys are awesome! Great info!

How happy are you with the Kenwood? Why did you chose that over other units (looking at the Pioneer now).

Thanks for passing along your knowledge!!!!!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasC4S
You guys are awesome! Great info!

How happy are you with the Kenwood? Why did you chose that over other units (looking at the Pioneer now).

Thanks for passing along your knowledge!!!!!
no prob- that is what the 6 is all about

I chose the kenwood based on feedback from other members here and the outstanding navigation (garmin).

The 7100 has NAV built into the one unit so no need for the separate brain or need to leave the NAV DVD inserted.
If you don't want NAV just get one of the other units (7016 and 7019 I believe). Good prices on ebay.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 AM
That antenna adapter being shown here is wrong. I got the same one and it was the wrong one. That being said, my car is an 03 and yours may be different on the back. Like I mentioned, take the unit with you to be sure.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 AM
That antenna adapter being shown here is wrong. I got the same one and it was the wrong one. That being said, my car is an 03 and yours may be different on the back. Like I mentioned, take the unit with you to be sure.
Good to know- what was your OEM headunit model? Can you post a pic of the adapter or find a link online?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
My OEM piece was a CDR-23 (2003 model year).
The part for the adapter is out of my head right now and I don't have the package it came in. I looked at Crutchfield to see if it would jog my memory but what they had looked similar but not exact. The one end on their example looked like my one end is, it was square where it plugged into the stock harness.
The part number that I got was a Metra unit and had the letters 'EU' in it.
I'll check again tonight and maybe on the work bench I will find the receipt or wrapper.
I'll make everyone a deal. Locate me the Illumination wire for the 2003-current model year and I will pull the unit out of the dash and take a pic of the part itself!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:01 PM
I think that this was the one. It had the male that went into the Pioneer and was square on the other end.
These are the people that I got it from here in town too.
http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=40-eu10

Old 07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
laj_c4s is on a distinguished road
tweety,

so your amp drives the sub and stock speakers?
what about using an amp just for the sub (put in new subs)?
how would that sound? i got a price quote for new speakers in
front and back as well as a sub with a 5 channel amp. it was way too high.
i don't want to spend large jing because i may only keep the car for another year. but the muddy base just kills me.

thx

Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM
6spdcabsil is on a distinguished road
i was trying to keep the stock look also, but after 1yr of sacrifice, i had to give up my driver's side back seat and added one 10" custom box which finally satisfied my bass appetite...for now. BTW, i kept the stock 5 1/4 inch (in-door subs) and were able to hook them up to my Alpine amps as well.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:06 AM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
no prob- that is what the 6 is all about

I chose the kenwood based on feedback from other members here and the outstanding navigation (garmin).

The 7100 has NAV built into the one unit so no need for the separate brain or need to leave the NAV DVD inserted.
If you don't want NAV just get one of the other units (7016 and 7019 I believe). Good prices on ebay.
i have the 7019 and am pretty happy with it. before that i had the 7015 and was VERY happy with that but its an older model. the 7019 is a touch screen and a true 7in screen. has everything but navi. picked mine up for 750ish local

Old 07-13-2007, 12:16 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Reusaudio.com Call Rick, and he will fly an installer to your home or office and install a complete system. I had the whole system with McIntosh amps and midbass driver upgrade in my 01 C2 cab. Sound quality is amazing!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by laj_c4s
tweety,

so your amp drives the sub and stock speakers?
what about using an amp just for the sub (put in new subs)?
how would that sound? i got a price quote for new speakers in
front and back as well as a sub with a 5 channel amp. it was way too high.
i don't want to spend large jing because i may only keep the car for another year. but the muddy base just kills me.

thx
I have a JL 500/5 amp that runs the Kicker 8" sub and the stock speakers. I went with the 5 channel because I didn't want more than one amp in the trunk. Not that the space or weight would be saved but I thought it would make a cleaner installation.
The stock sub needs to be replaced any way you look at it. All said and done with my setup, it costs me about 3 grand. That included me locating the AVIC-Z2, the bluetooth module, the XM module, the wiring, the trim pieces, and having a custom sub box made to look original.
Remember that the stereo guy had a blank check in his hand to quote me speakers and he told me flat out that the bose speakers will be more than enough for me. If anyone else is an audiophile than they won't cut it. But to me, they are more than enough.
This weekend I need to mount the amp and put the spare tire back in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the subs in the stock Bose enclosure?