997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT Oil Leak Saga

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:03 PM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
Here's the act I was referring to:
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975
Excerpt:
Can an automotive dealership void your warranty?

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.
This is illegal. Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

More info:
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
With all that Porsche-record keeping going on, not sure the $4-6K full-exhaust system is worth getting, i.e., if one is interested in keeping warranty protection. I guess as long as you kept the rear exhaust cans stock, perhaps you could get away with it when in for service. You sure couldn't quick change the exhaust.

The flash-chip is OK because that is removeable when one gets warranty/maintenance work. That is, unless you get the rev-limiter rpm extended to 7600 which would be recorded. I always thought that extended rpm would be great in 1st gear, but now I am told that the turbo-boost begins to go south a bit very near 6800 rpm, so you don't gain any real acceleration by the rpm-extension, just possible loss in warranty coverage. I guess the real fun of these Porsches is after 4-years when you can make all these mods without worrying about warranties, re-sale value, etc.
You can't remove the evidence of a chip flash.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DaveMo
Here's the act I was referring to:
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975
Excerpt:
Can an automotive dealership void your warranty?

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.
This is illegal. Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

More info:
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Here's another on Magnuson Moss
http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096

I could also post on on Lemmon Laws too but I ask you --how much time and expense do you feel it ought to take to prove he's right and lose anyway ?

Waving Manguson Moss with a modified car and citing lemmon laws is not a one day quick fix . It will take a long time and IMO it's not worth it.

I would never have even waited 18 months nor would I have gotten to the point where his dealership and Porsche reps are debating his car .

What's your proposal ? Are you recommending the either Porsche or his dealership ought to hand him a new car? Never happen .

Do you feel that his attorneys ought to argue and tie this up for another year or two and then he will still have to buy a new car but maybe pay a little less than had he not argued ? Only to see some technician fired instead of the real issue addressed and face frowns in service every time he rolls in with his new car? Just to prove he's right?

You do realize that his dealership wants to resolve this and it was halted at the region . My feeling is that both he and that dealership can work this out .

The Porsche community is a small one . Notice the dealerships and businesses who even post here . Wherever he's from a little humility and compromise can go a long way and no --I don't think he will lose his shirt in expenses on this car if traded in now.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:17 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You can't remove the evidence of a chip flash.
Yes you can. Just get a cloned ECU.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
NO TKTS is on a distinguished road
Update

I appreciate the advice and various viewpoints. I am now in negotiation with the dealer to trade into a 2008 997TT. I feel this is the best option to get out of this car while staying in the Porsche family.

Thanks for everyone's support!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Yes you can. Just get a cloned ECU.
Even with a cloned ECU, if you have any over-revs the "evidence is stored in areas other than the ECU - see post 10 in this link
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=91062

Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 PM
crd
crd is an unknown quantity at this point
RMS leak? Let's hope not.

I'm sorry to hear about all these problems. Hope you get a tolerable resolution.

Frankly, I'm surprised that PCNA approved any adjustment on a car modded as you have. I don't think it really contributes to your problems, but I thought Porsche would run and hide behind any such good excuse NOT to spend money to fix your car.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Even with a cloned ECU, if you have any over-revs the "evidence is stored in areas other than the ECU - see post 10 in this link
But most do not raise the rev-limiter (hopefully) and there, then would be no record of the chip if reversed. Some flash-chips, I am told, can be switched to stock extremely quick/easy for the driver.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Well that's a completely different issue. You can over rev from range 1-6 simply by shifting poorly. Any dealership can raise the question of abuse when the engine spends too many time in the high ranges. This has nothing to do with ECU re-programming.

If you clone an ECU, and make sure that your ECU does not elevate the stock rev limiter, and you don't over rev too often when shifting, you should be fine...and no dealership with PIWIS will know the difference.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:12 AM
haudimal is on a distinguished road
As far as i know there is NO possibility to hide a modded ECU from Porsche, if they really want to know it.

Also an clone ECU won´t help, the problem is NOT the high revs, the problem is the stored mileage in the ECU. It´s not only stored in the ECU, it´s stored at some other chips in your car. If you clone your ECU there is a difference and they will see it, if they want.

I have the durametric Cable and software and it is amazing what you can read with that $200 tool, don´t wanna think about what Porsche can read out with their $$$$$$ PIWIS...

Would be happy if I´m wrong, but i don´t think so.

Last edited by haudimal; 02-07-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Thumbs up Resolution

My dealer (Northland Porsche) has arranged a trade into a 2008 Turbo (same color, same options). I am selling my performance modifications and using the proceeds to buy aftermarket wheels.

I am pleased with this outcome and would like to thank Greg Joseph and Northland Porsche for their support.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Glad to hear things worked out for you.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:58 AM
slykmr is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear that worked out for you Ron. Guess it helps that you probably bought everything in your sig from the Joseph's.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by slykmr
Glad to hear that worked out for you Ron. Guess it helps that you probably bought everything in your sig from the Joseph's.
I think you hit the nail on the head!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NO TKTS
My dealer (Northland Porsche) has arranged a trade into a 2008 Turbo (same color, same options). I am selling my performance modifications and using the proceeds to buy aftermarket wheels.

I am pleased with this outcome and would like to thank Greg Joseph and Northland Porsche for their support.
I am very glad that it all worked out for you. Best wishes with the new car . Post pics when you get it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT Oil Leak Saga