997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

IPD plenum is installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:03 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
bbywu, why so small?

I would think if you were going to upgrade you would at least want more than 10,000 horsepower! lol
Dang. Calling another man's turbo small. And Jason talking about a stiff chasis...I feel emasculated.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 PM
MichaelL will become famous soon enoughMichaelL will become famous soon enough
The dyno results from RSS's post are interesting. What they show is a significant gain in the 2200 to 5000 rpm range. High rpm gains seem to be minimal. The improvements in the low rpm range are what you will benefit from in real world driving. The plenum may also allow the boost to come on more rapidly.

For about $1500 installed in a $126K+ car, this is very reasonable in cost.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Dang. Calling another man's turbo small. And Jason talking about a stiff chasis...I feel emasculated.
I guess today was all about hidden innuendoes, eh?

Believe me, that certainly wasn't intentional on my part.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
^^don't they say that a man's car is just an extension of his........AHH OOOOO GUH! hehe!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by atomic80
Here are a few pictures of the IPD plenum pre-install

Cast metal

Looking inside, painted and designed with efficient airflow in mind

Compare that with the OEM plastic plenum

Not designed for airflow efficiency

The view of the inside from the top

Close up of my engine compartment with the OEM plenum removed

Engine compartment without OEM plenum

New IPD pleum in place. Notice that the cast metal matches the intake manifold too

Another view of IPD plenum

It took Cantrell Motorsport about 2.5 hours to install the plenum which should be pretty standard for tuner shops everywhere if they know what they're doing.

My initial impressions although done before the ECU has had a chance to relearn the new parameters of the airflow efficiency brought on by the new plenum from IPD/RSS is very good. From a standstill, there's a noticable reduction in turbo lag when moving from a standstill. The engine seems to be slightly more eager to get up to speed. Bottom line is, I'm very happy with this modification and will definitely recommend anyone considering this mod to go ahead and get it. I have no plans to do a dyno at this time since I didn't have a chance to do a pre-dyno test. I should be able to compare stock vs modified soon if Larry gives me the opportunity to do so. I'll give a final report after the ECU has had a chance to adapt.
Sorry to get off subject, but how do you get the pictures to show up this size on your threads from photobucket? I know it's a noobie question. My apologies in advance.

BTW, I have the IPD Plenum on my 997tt and absolutely love it. Haven't dynoed it yet, but my butt dyno tells me it's there everytime.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
GotBoost, it's pretty easy. Go to your Photobucket account, find the image you want to post in the size you'd like. Right click on it, then highlight/copy the address that shows up in the <url>, once you've done that, come back to make a post, click on "go advanced" and then click on the little icon that looks like this and paste the address in the dialog box that shows up. That's it. Try it out.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:38 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by atomic80
GotBoost, it's pretty easy. Go to your Photobucket account, find the image you want to post in the size you'd like. Right click on it, then highlight/copy the address that shows up in the <url>, once you've done that, come back to make a post, click on "go advanced" and then click on the little icon that looks like this and paste the address in the dialog box that shows up. That's it. Try it out.
Cool. Thanks Jason

Mike

Old 03-01-2008, 06:06 AM
zman is on a distinguished road
Nice write up. Thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 07:18 AM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bbywu

Old 03-01-2008, 04:42 PM
MKS
MKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of light
Great write up! and Thanks! i didnt know were that thing was

now my main concern is heat ? how is it compared to the factory plastic piece ? after a few runs i mean ? Thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 03:46 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I was wondering what parts had to be removed in order to get at the stock plenum?

I'm not considering doing this myself, but I was just wondering if this mod would go well with other mods that someone might be considering.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raiyu
I was wondering what parts had to be removed in order to get at the stock plenum?

I'm not considering doing this myself, but I was just wondering if this mod would go well with other mods that someone might be considering.
I always thought you needed to drop the engine to get the plenum in...but Jason's pics show the disassembly in the engine bay.

Small hands?...(smells like cabbage )

Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 PM
997turbokid is on a distinguished road
So how much HP are we looking at for this upgrade?

Also how many hour labour for install?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
[update]: It's been almost a week since I first got the IPD installed so I've managed to put a few miles in my Turbo since then. I can tell you guys that after about 50 miles, the powerband has noticably changed for the better. Previously there was a slight dip on power delivery going from a stop but that "dip" has disappeared! Although there's still a lag from a complete stop, it's not as apparent as it once was before. The plenum has definitely worked in ensuring a smoother power delivery throughout the powerband. I would give this "mod" two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Old 03-15-2008, 04:14 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
[quote=RSSGREG;1703585]Greetings 6 Speeders,

We just received the dyno chart below from a customer with a EVT 700 Big Power Kit. It also demonstrates how effective the plenum can be with extensive modifications. (See page one.)

Greg,

This chart doesn't do much for me as you say the plenum here is used with a big power kit and that it demonstrates its' effectiveness with extensive modifications. What does the plenum do without extensive modifications? I suspect very little.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD plenum is installed!