997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Heavily Modded '06 ZO6 Cammed with Drag Radials VS. Modded Protomotive 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I think it would be a lot closer had the Turbo been shifter and or problem fixed...
If I lived closer I would come by too. It would be a good run on the highway.
One more thing, you really need some grad radials for some traction... I don't think Keith had any.... the vette did...
Agreed!!! WTF is up with the turbo and shifting/lag in the video? GT30's shouldnt be producing lag like that right Mark?

Awesome car, but almost every video I see of turbo's being raced are like this!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:38 AM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
If he is close to you and or Titan.. someone who knows tial external Wgs.. garrets turbos, etc... basic stuff... see what the car is doing...
another pair of professional eyes may sometimes do wonders instead of speculating on a forum for 2 months with guys who don't even know the set up...
I would run the car on WG spring alone... see what it does... then increase the boost slowly and see if it comes back at a certain point or if its there from the start. Gt30rs are not laggy on a 3.6 L motor... like some suggested... something does not make sense... maybe a massive boost leak...
Hey Markski.

I have spoken to Todd about this. He sent over two stronger Diverter valve springs to hold some more boost pressure in the system between shifts. (Maybe 10 psi) This way the Diverter Valves are no longer releasing 100% of the boost pressure. This is what he believes is contributing to the problem.

Chris. You think this might help? Car is at my dealer now - I'll bring it by and we can take a look at it to see what your believe the problem might be.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:28 AM
Banned
Freak997TT is infamous around these parts
Here OhioGT2 stock internal GT30 old GT2 on 1.5bar ( i guess ) vs A stroker built vette w/nos..That Vette made 700RWHP also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUT5_sLv0JE

The vette jump just before Jemie ..Pretty close race

Jemie...Is it also 65mph rolling ? also what is ur speed when he hit the break?

I dont think Keitha need 1.8bar to beat that Nitroused C6ZO6...1.5bar would enough to ran close or MAYBE beat it..JMO

Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Freak997TT
Here OhioGT2 stock internal GT30 old GT2 on 1.5bar ( i guess ) vs A stroker built vette w/nos..That Vette made 700RWHP also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUT5_sLv0JE

The vette jump just before Jemie ..Pretty close race

Jemie...Is it also 65mph rolling ? also what is ur speed when he hit the break?

I dont think Keitha need 1.8bar to beat that Nitroused C6ZO6...1.5bar would enough to ran close or MAYBE beat it..JMO
That was against a stroked C5 Z06 on a big shot. That Z trapped 141. We ran from a 40 roll and I jumped him by a car since he spun (he was on slicks, I was running 315 DR's). We ran to about 160. I was running 1.5bar and dyno'd 715whp on the same dyno Keithta made his 700whp. That GT2 always ran strong and I didn't experience much lag between shifts.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Chris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keithta
Hey Markski.

I have spoken to Todd about this. He sent over two stronger Diverter valve springs to hold some more boost pressure in the system between shifts. (Maybe 10 psi) This way the Diverter Valves are no longer releasing 100% of the boost pressure. This is what he believes is contributing to the problem.

Chris. You think this might help? Car is at my dealer now - I'll bring it by and we can take a look at it to see what your believe the problem might be.
Keith i know these cars pretty well now, i'm sure I can figure it out. I would start with the basic's like pressure testing the car then moving on to dv's, w/g lines, w/g's them self.

Chris Green

Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Keithta -

Even though I myself didn't buy my car to race --I prefer the idea of driving on mountains with Atomic, Humm3, and Greta .
However -- I did take the time to carefully look at the video and raise questions/comments . I'll list them .

1) The Lag -- As others mentioned I did notice the lag . Since I am not a technician I would be guessing whether it's software or the Turbos itself . Part of the problem with larger Turbos of the past was that the immediate jump was delayed . You simply may have needed more road or perhaps the car isn't meant for this type of rolling victory agaisnta nitrous vette .

Possible solution -- I notice in my car I have less HP (approx 600) but also face less lag with my components . The short sprint is just that. I am guessing that the midpoint might be with OEM Gt2 Turbo's swaped into the car and some weight reduction.

2) Nitrous -- Awhile back someone posted an M5 Vs a 997tt 700 with similar setup to yours where the M5 had nitrous. Here's the clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhkHryaRCxM

Looked similar to yours with the heavier M5 instead of the vette .

BTW the NON nitrous M5 also ran with the same car and lost and it was posted too.

3)Aside from the safety hazards of the road vs track I can't help but wonder how much Hp the 997tt can take before mechanical problems arise without replacing a lot of the car's internals.

Drive safely and be well.

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-19-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chris Green
Keith i know these cars pretty well now, i'm sure I can figure it out. I would start with the basic's like pressure testing the car then moving on to dv's, w/g lines, w/g's them self.

Chris Green
well said and like I suggested... help him out- Im sure its something stupid...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 PM
AudiRS is infamous around these parts
keithta tells us about the driveability of your car with the bigger turbos. Also, ohioGT2 were you pushing 715whp on stock internals as well?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AudiRS
keithta tells us about the driveability of your car with the bigger turbos. Also, ohioGT2 were you pushing 715whp on stock internals as well?
The car driveability is fine. It feels stock pretty much until you get into the power band. The turbos also are not really laggy at all. The boost comes on about 500 RPM later than the stock turbos but makes a ton more power in the mid range and on top.

There is just a delay between shifts regardless as to where the boost is (1.0 bar - 1.3 bar). I believe this delay may have been there when the car was stock - just not sure if it was that pronounced. Just didnt drive it but 2 days in stock form before I sent it off to Protomotive to get upgraded. So I dont really recall....

Anyhow, as I said before, Todd FedEx'd me a set of stronger Blow off valve springs in which he claims will help with the boost response coming back on quicker between shifts. I'll keep you posted on what happens there. I'll also swing over to Chris's shop in Coral Springs to run through the components to make sure all is on the up and up.

Last edited by keithta; 03-19-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:08 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AudiRS
Also, ohioGT2 were you pushing 715whp on stock internals as well?
Yes, no issues at all.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:30 PM
ee996tt is infamous around these parts
Great Vids!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:08 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Ok maybe our definitions of lag are different, but mine is when you hit the gas and there isnt boost. Which is what it looked like in the video.

So what is the difference in shift delay and lag? Shift delay is on you, if the car is in gear and you're on the gas, it's not shift delay. Maybe you meant to call it something else. But it sure looks and sounds like lag.

But I'm no turbo expert. I would expect GT30's to spool up faster. That kind of lag is what I got from a Corvette with a low compression 427 and rear mount turbos, almost exactly the same.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:47 PM
mike@usp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Ok maybe our definitions of lag are different, but mine is when you hit the gas and there isnt boost. Which is what it looked like in the video.

So what is the difference in shift delay and lag? Shift delay is on you, if the car is in gear and you're on the gas, it's not shift delay. Maybe you meant to call it something else. But it sure looks and sounds like lag.

But I'm no turbo expert. I would expect GT30's to spool up faster. That kind of lag is what I got from a Corvette with a low compression 427 and rear mount turbos, almost exactly the same.
sounds like your definition of a turbo is a supercharger...

Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 PM
vtecsti is infamous around these parts
Dude..just try to race an 08 viper. Nice video's. That Porsche is wicked

Old 03-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned
240ka is infamous around these parts
both cars are bad ***. str8 beast. especially the z06

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heavily Modded '06 ZO6 Cammed with Drag Radials VS. Modded Protomotive 997 Turbo