997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Edmunds 911 Turbo BEATS GT-R 0-60, 1/4 Mile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:53 PM
N Ireland D is infamous around these parts
Alpine 997 i was being sarcastic, DOPEY!!! what i mean is when the gtr beat the gt3 and bmw m3 on a track in england heavychevy said "oh that chris harris can't drive, he was all over the place in the gt3 too tail happy can't drive bla bla bla da bla bla bla bla he's not a PRO DRIVE (very funny coment LAUGH OUT LOUD)!!!! Also i own a 996 tt, have owned a 996 gt3 and also a 993c2s so i'm not a PORSCHE HATER, infact i'm a porsche lover, but when someone else builds a fanastic car (which a gtr is) i'm big enough to admit it, not say oh this and that and he was't a PRO DRIVER (Laugh out loud) its just seems a bit annoying for people to take!!!! (I'M NOT BEING SARCASTIC THIS TIME)!!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:04 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I AM NOT DOPEY - I AM SLEEPY(SARCASTIC).

The comments were not directed entirely towards you. Just everyone is a pro driver nowadays with magazines.

I think the GT-R will have it's place here and I have been one of the fans for years hoping that it would make it to our shores. Just the overhype has created monsters on this forum who do nothing but trash talk. The GT-R to me still has a lot of prove for me to sink 70-90K on a NISSAN at this time. Not an elitist comment but you can't tell me the build quality(outside of the RB26DETT motor) has been great. Value doesn't hold even for the VSPEC II NUR edition(which is one of my favorite editions).

If you are not a troll than I hope no offense was taken. If you are well.. Gloves are off.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:22 PM
No offence taken, its just some people seem to be obsessed with knocking a car that is perfectly good infact its bloody brillant!! The point i was trying to make about chris harris was a certain person said that when the gtr beat the gt3 on track (ok only at one curcuit) it was because of his driving which is a complete joke he is a fantastic driver and also a porsche fanatic he loves them, but people just can't accept that the gtr is a good car!!! Is it better than a 997 turbo, very debaitable, but for people even to be arguing about it, just shows how well nissan have done!!!! And what is it with people and the nissan THING, I don't own a porsche because of its name i own it cause its a fuc... brillant car but if Mr Bloggs built a better one in his roof space i'd buy it!!!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM
timeattack07gt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
As heavy said the stiffness in the suspension and chassis will not translate well n the streets. If they soften it up too much for compliance then it might lose its edge. We will all see soon enough.
How do you know such details, that can only be felt and witnessed by the seat of YOUR pants? Even at that, your opinion of a vehicles ride quality is still subjective. Considering that YOU were the one telling me that a person MUST OWN a vehicle in order to really make a quality assesment (in regards to the varifying the validity of the GT-R's ring performance of all things lol), how can you cast judgement on the GT-R, ESPECIALLY in regards to its ride quality? Not to mention, you have likely never gotten a ride in a GT-R, let alone driven one or owned one. lol. Did you read that in some magazine article, that is supposedly so meaningless to you? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you on the GT-R's ride quality, but rather questioning
your credibility, as a lot of people like to do around here. The obvious double standards reel their ugly head...again. This place is too much for me.

Here were your statements to me at an earlier point in time: "Since you do not own the car, have any intentions to buy the car then you should not comment as being the all knowing until such time you have beaten several 997TT owners on the track and on the streets. Until then you are a MAGAZINE Racer with a very limited amount of magazine knowledge, zero experience, and no R35 GT-R.

timeattack - enjoy your ban. It was well deserved. I can chime in anytime I want because I actually own a car that I don't bench race or magazine read about." Don't your statements about the GT-R's ride quality show that you are basically guilty of the same thing? It would be nice to get an apology at least lol.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Time attack a very well put together statement!!! hope you get your apology cause it seems you deserve it!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Nthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I dont remember any time that Nissan has been low quality, but the GT-R is not a luxury car, the suspension is pretty brutal and the gearbox clunky, you dont get Porsche Service, you arent limited to dealers you can go to, you dont have to have the same guy that works on a basic car like a sentra be your main tech with a couple of classes in GT-R 101. You wont feel like you're sitting in a 100k car, you wont look like you're sitting in a 100k car.
Clunky gearbox and brutal suspension.. Based on the same mag articles that portrayed the gtr to be quicker than the 997? Porsche Service costs $$$. Personally I don't let anyone work on my cars because even porsche service doesn't take the kind of precious care that I will. Wont feel like your sitting in a 100k car? Well with the extra 50k you can make a custom dry carbon dash and cross stitch it with colored suede if that's what your into. There's all sorts of arguements to be made.

The GT-R would not sell for 130k, but the TT sells just fine and has for many years. There is a reason for that and it's not all in the name.
It's partially in the name, but deciding that is just speculation. Porsche the name is well known in the racing circuit. Unless you pay attention to unpopular racing like jgtc you won't know or acknowledge the gtr's impact in racing history. The GT-R's impact in the racing circuit is also roughly only a decade old. It's still relatively a young model compared to the porsche.

Even luxury car makers like BMW couldnt sell a 760Li or Z8 very well in the mid 100's. People only pay a certain dollar amount for years after year after year if it's worth it to them, and the Porsche has proven that it's worth 130k + to many many people. So they are obviously getting what they paid for, and most are return customers.
Would you have said the same about audi 5 years ago prior to the development of the r8?

I'm not saying the GT-R isnt worth what the MSRP is, but you are still getting what you pay for, and maybe a little more if Nissan is taking a hit on this car as everyone suspects. 5 years of developement will not come back with such limited production numbers very fast, and there is obviously lots of marketing for the worldwide launch. But still, how many GT-Rs would sell at 80k? 90k? 100k? And Porsche can sell just as many TT's at 130 k. That has to tell you something.
Agreed, I don't think the gtr is on par in terms of luxery with the 997tt. Doesn't the 911 have something like 50 years of refinement behind it? The gtr will hit some bumps just like the 911 did during it's first few years.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
GET GET NOTHING you TROLL.

I quoted Heavy's comments so thanks for playing. I guess the words "IF" doesn't translate in your world to speculation? I speculated as well as Heavy did. But since he has more seat time on the track than both of us he can make a better guess IF the setup is what has been reported in all your favorite magazines. There is a very well regarded tuner in Japan(already quoted it once since you read so much you will know) has thrown out the stock suspension for another set. He said it was garbage for the streets. Also the reports for the TWEAKING has been about the suspension. I guess you didn't read that part did ya smart guy?

Also you have to give up one for the other. No two ways about it. Sad that you are still here.

To bad you don't have the intellect to challenge me so I will say this.

YOU GET NOTHING because you have yet to give ANYTHING on this forum that has provided anyone with any value besides "QUOTING" things. Well you are good with that. Read enough magazines and that is all that you can do.

BE GONE.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
For reference, all of my responses are in bold, while other members previous and old statements are in italics.

Originally Posted by Almo
Wow, you look like a dumbass dude. You can't even recall who all you have argued with on here as it wasn't me that suggested they were cheating about the ring times nor did I ever state anything related to the fact they were cheating to get the times they did. LOL... it was another member here and you just showed your ignorance. LOL

No ****. I know I was arguing with Tuskir in regards to Nissan's on going development at the Ring, it's just that you decided to jump in "to add something beneficial" to the argument. What you were really trying to prove with your statements, I have NO clue. You don't even seem to know where you stood by jumping into the original argument either, as you failed to comprehend the real importance of what the discussion was about, and decided it was more important to attack and pick apart some rather unimportant statement of mine in order to prove nothing. Which was in regards to Porsche's DFI and PDK being continual advancements to the 911 platform, similar to what Nissan is, and will be doing to the GT-R in the future. You suggested that Nissan's revisements and tweaks were not fair comparisons to Porsche's future DFI and PDK developments, for whatever reason. Which basically in the whole scheme of things implied that Nissan was guilty of foul play somehow, even though these changes are currently seen on all GT-R's coming off of the production line at the moment. Whether that's what you meant to say or not, that's the way it came off. Again, what were you trying to prove otherwise, like I asked several posts back. I suggest you go back and really read the context surrounding Tuskir's, your's, and my post. Here's Tuskir's last post after fleaing this thread, likely because he knew he had no evidence to use for his "Nissan's a cheater" argument:
"You say yourself that the car was specifically tuned for optimal performance on the Nurburgrind, but that does not make it a "stock GTR". Besides the suspension, it is clear that that particular GTR had other mods and most likely well over 600hp. Stock GTR is the one you buy at a dealership, not the one that you spend thousands of hours testing and "tweaking" for optimal performance for a particular circuit Here was part of my repsonse to this: "Don't you realize that Nissan has even been quoted as saying that they will be making continuing changes and modifications, to further improve the performance of the GT-R in all aspects throughout its model life?" Later in that post I said this as well:
"Through Nissan's continuing Ring testing and development they were able to improve upon the GT-R's qualities, in both performance around the Ring, and in ride quality with the use of less shock absorber dampening, and slightly stiffer springs, along with modifcations to the engine and transmission mounting. With the changes I just mentioned, and improvements to track conditions, Nissan achieved 7:29. These changes were immediately carried over to the production line, meaning all cars coming off the production line at the moment are to the chassis spec that was capable of 7:29."

Then you decided to jump in out of nowhere with this response: "I have something beneficial to add... how is it upgrading the 997 for the start of a yearly model by adding DI and a long awaited PDK have anything to do and or even vastly compare to what they have continued to do with the GT-R? You’re above quote is pathetic, especially trying to compare it to the tailoring of the GT-R and their daily upgrades and tweaks and upgrade suspension mods for quick track times." AGAIN, what was this statement trying to prove? As you already SUPPOSEDLY claim that Nissan is not a cheater, and are aware that all of these modifications are currently seen on productions GT-R's, as well as any future modifications that help improve OFFICIAL GT-R ring times. I really don't get what you were trying to illustrate! And yet you accuse me of being the one that makes unwarranted attacks against members statements, even though these members have very few post, and claim the GT-R that achieved 7:29 at the Ring had 600hp+ and adjustable coilover, yet have absolutely NO evidence to back such claims up. OPEN YOUR EYES PLEASE.

Here's proof in the pooding that shows you BELIEVED Nissan was guilty of fowl play in regards to the differences between GT-R's currently leaving the production line, and the GT-R that achieved 7:29 at the Ring, which you claim have not to said. Either way I think your just making up excuses. Maybe you forgot this one from a while ago...
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by RiceEater
Well here's an article explaining why the NEW stock GTR got a faster lap time:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ed-for-Europe/

Since some of the parts of the currently out in Japan GTR are breaking down, they figured its time for a few upgrades, which will be present on the American and Euro versions of the GTR...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Your response to this: "There you have it... modded doesn't mean OEM Production. Nice post!"

Quit trying so hard. Do you even know what OEM production is???

Again, you have me mixed up with another member here that stated the above and it is very entertaining that you are so mixed up in being a GT-R Fanboy trolling the boards that you have forgotten who has typed what. Very very funny! LOL

-You were the one that jumped into Tuskir's and my argument trying to prove something with your meaningless points, say what you want.

I have stated facts that I had read as you said you have done and now you're playing dumb asking me to hold your little hand and walk you through it, again! I thought you were all about knowing everything about this car... if so you would know what I was referring to in how they got their times with the GT-R. I suggest you first go back and get your facts straight on who stated what about the cheating. I then suggest you might want to keep reading about the GT-R because you are well behind with your information if you can’t explain what I have asked you 3 times now.
- Ok. I'm going to assume this is the question that you've wanted answered so dearly?

"I just read a GT-R put down 475 to the wheels on a dyno in Japan? 475 to the wheels with that CI engine with only 10 pounds of boost? Knowing a few things about restriction and taking their CI V6 and a lot of people are going to be pissed off when their cars don’t meet some of the tainted numbers pushed out. This car should have been called a G35X-R.

Since you’re all knowing, please explain to me why they stated their way about getting the numbers they did? I would love to hear it."

Well first of all, what are you asking and trying to prove? Also, I'd like to see a reference for argument sakes. What you're tyring to argue doesn't make sense. You say a GT-R dynoed 475whp by some shop in Japan, likely not knowing the variables of the dyno calibration, equipment, what gear it was in, fuel used, whether there was a drivetrain loss factored in, and finally and most importantly, what other cars put down on that exact same dyno for reference. Which is the most important thing, since a dyno is REALLY just a tool used for engine tuning, and power comparing. You should know this again. Hell, I know of a few high reading dynopaks just in my area like I mentioned before, one of them reading about 10% more than the normal hp/tq readings for a car on a well calibrated dynojet (where I take my car). You go on to imply that because of such information it should be called a G35X-R for whatever reason, even though Nissan has quoted a 10% drivetrain loss which would put it at around 430awhp, which is in fact what Motortrend achieved on a dynojet. You also say because of the high 475whp reading done by some random shop in Japan, that owners will be upest when they figure out their GT-R doesn't push out some of the same tainted numbers, even though NISSAN only rates the car at 483hp. I really don't understand what you're trying to get at.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
GET GET NOTHING you TROLL.

I quoted Heavy's comments so thanks for playing. I guess the words "IF" doesn't translate in your world to speculation? No, the problem is you don't even know where the "IF" was placed in your statements lol. Here was your sentence in case you forgot: "As heavy said the stiffness in the suspension and chassis will not translate well n the streets". Which basically was coming off as fact through your experience, regardless of what you meant to type. You're terrible haha! You went on to speculate that "IF" the car was sprung softer to increases the ride quality, it would probably lose its handling edge. But since he has more seat time on the track than both of us he can make a better guess IF the setup is what has been reported in all your favorite magazines. How do you automatically know for a fact he has more track time than me? lol Quit assuming things pal! Also, does he have any seat time behind the GT-R? NO! So what does this prove when you really get down to it. Your antics are bit much. There is a very well regarded tuner in Japan(already quoted it once since you read so much you will know) has thrown out the stock suspension for another set. He said it was garbage for the streets. This doesn't mean anything as it is media/mag jargon, REMEMBER. Duh! Something I am so famous for using. Or maybe you're just using it to favor suit in your argument, as you decided to try and use it as credible evidence. Let me see this source, as I can't say I trust you with much. Also the reports for the TWEAKING has been about the suspension. I guess you didn't read that part did ya smart guy? Let me see your reference as I don't know what TWEAKING your trying to prove throughout this argument. Lay off the dope.

Also you have to give up one for the other. No two ways about it. Sad that you are still here.

To bad you don't have the intellect to challenge me so I will say this. HA! So you think.

Too bad you don't even have the intellect to use the correct form of "to" in your sentence big boy. That statement was like trying to sucker punch me and somehow totally missing the spot haha! Good job I must say! I really don't care if you have 100 million dollars in the bank through whatever hard work you've put in through your life, you have yet to challenge my intellect to this point, especially when it comes to any really technical automotive manner. Sorry to say, but even the most technical matter on this forum is mere dribble in comparison to some of the technical oriented knowledge in my "brain account". Ignorance truly is bliss! Yet annoying at the same time.

YOU GET NOTHING because you have yet to give ANYTHING on this forum that has provided anyone with any value besides "QUOTING" things. Well you are good with that. Read enough magazines and that is all that you can do.

Glad you feel that way officer.

BE GONE.
Sorry if I got your feathers flustered. It's rather plain to see that the only reason I'm not wanted here is because I defend the GT-R in a fair manner. Basically, I'm one of the few on this board and others, who accepts the GT-R's accomplishments, yet doesn't dis Porsche in anyway while doing so. If you want to hate me for that, then fine. Where's my banishment like you been chanting you had the power to do. I rest my case with you clown.

Last edited by timeattack07gt; 05-15-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Where's my trash can...

Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Mycab is infamous around these parts
Video

Originally Posted by timeattack07gt
Where's my trash can...
...just open your mouth,troll

Old 05-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Nthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mycab
...just open your mouth,troll
doesn't he have more posts than you

Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Mycab is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nthusiastt
doesn't he have more posts than you
don't compliment the troll too much,the pages of all those magazines he reads...
...are probably already all stuck together

Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Not to mention, 4 or so of those post were telling me I'm a troll, and that I should basically go *** off. In the same thread might I add. I guess telling me to shut up is one of the few important enough subjects for him to comment on lol.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by timeattack07gt
Not to mention, 4 or so of those post were telling me I'm a troll, and that I should basically go *** off. In the same thread might I add. I guess telling me to shut up is one of the few important enough subjects for him to comment on lol.
You look like a retard... You actually just tried to argue about you mixing me up with someone else followed by an argument about a current post of mine and trying to reflect it back with all the dated information several days ago. You typed all the above as if I wasn't in the picture and then you say I came out of nowhere with a recent post. You're one funny fanboy!

Here's proof in the pooding that shows you BELIEVED Nissan was guilty of fowl play in regards to the differences between GT-R's currently leaving the production line, and the GT-R that achieved 7:29 at the Ring, which you claim have not to said. Either way I think your just making up excuses. Maybe you forgot this one from a while ago...

How in the **** do you get me saying mods don't mean OEM with your response above (in bold)? Clarity for you which you can't seem to make things out in the context in which they are/were typed... not to mention your post (again, above in bold) just shows your assumptions are manipulated and pushed beyond reason of the OP to make that person look like he has said/typed something totally different than what was actually typed.

And it is evident you can't read and understand what people are implying. I will type this one last time... Hype, and inconsistent numbers have been my argument from the get go!

I'm finished with you, I feel dumb for replying on a lower level each and every time... I am smart enough at this point to know I stop here because even though you have shown ignorance in your posts, if I continue to reply to you, I will be tossed into group problem here which is plain to see; you and a few others are here only to be trolling fanboys.

That said, some people get it and some do not and you fit the later. Good day!

Last edited by Almo; 05-15-2008 at 09:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Edmunds 911 Turbo BEATS GT-R 0-60, 1/4 Mile