997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

10,000 Miles!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:13 AM
997ttt is on a distinguished road
10,000 Miles!

10,000 miles in four months and first oil change.
Overall experience with the car has been pretty good.
Since that time, a few mods.
Fabspeed quite version exhaust, Air Intake, with "Imagine Auto" headers, Smart top module. Tint (great for hot summer days)

Thanks to TT surgeon for the advice on the quite version of the exhaust. I had the standard exhaust initially. Drove me crazy!! Droned too much.
Jeremy at Fabspeed and Steve at Imagine Auto gracefully agreed to the exchange.

Had GIAC ECU mod but really, could not tell the difference... So, I had the ECU re-flashed to stock.

A few squeaks on the driver side (had that fixed). Now a few minor squeaks with the top down, but nothing major.

Unfortunately, for the first 1500-3000 miles I had a crappy set of tires that wobbled at 70mph so I had to get them changed (under warrenty). But still the first experience with a 911 turbo that wobbles at 70 mph would have to be the worst experience I had with the car. It took so long to get this fixed because I did not want to go a day without driving the car (figures I have 10,000 miles in less than four months).

Car feels definitely more responsive and more powerful with the Exhaust and Headers. I just did not feel the GIAC. Not sure why. I may try again or maybe another ECU flash.

Engine knocks a little. I am not sure if this is normal? I use 93 octane regularly. Any suggestions?

Oh, had the black tips from Fabspeed, looks awesome!!!

I have not seen any posts regarding staining of black seat belts on non black leather interior. Black seatbelts on terracotta leather stains the shoulder area of the seat (front and back seats). I can imagine it does the same on natural leather and lighter color leather. I am not sure if these seat belts come in the same color as the leather, but if it does, I would recommend ordering the same color to avoid the stains.

enjoy....

Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Sounds great, glad the fabspeed quiet system worked out for you, it is really a more of a moderate system imo, while the 'regular' is loud, esp on a cab.
FS and IA are great guys.
Consider either the PES or EVO flash, the evo has some really attractive dyno plots, very akin to the Ruf.
Now, get yourself some winter tires!
c

Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 AM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
10K in four months

Sweet.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 AM
carlover08 is on a distinguished road
wow you drive alot enjoy it thats what its for!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
DynamicMotoring is on a distinguished road
You should notice a difference with the ECU reflash. Ive noticed it on every car. Maybe you should try Proto or EVO.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997ttt
Engine knocks a little. I am not sure if this is normal? I use 93 octane regularly. Any suggestions?
Are you 100% sure you are hearing knock? Have you tried a different gas brand or even unleaded race fuel to see if the sound changes? That is most definitely not normal.

If you are hearing knock on a stock ECU and 93 octane, that is probably why you did not feel any improvement with the GIAC flash. It did what it was supposed to and dialed back boost and timing in the presence of knock activity.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
<!--StartFragment -->997ttt

I agree with Todd, to have knock on 93 octane and a stock chip would suggest a hardware problem. If this is the case our program will pull power to protect the motor. My concern grows also with the information that you felt the headers and exhaust but not the software as it will produce the largest gain of the three upgrades. If there was not a problem with the flash or a mechanical issue, like a small vaccuum leak or failing sensor or hardware, then there is another possibility.

Your situation reminds me of an other customer that posted something similar on these boards a couple of months ago. He had not noticed a big difference and saw that his boost was still fairly close to stock. After some investigation we discovered that the dealer he visited had sold him on GIAC but installed an other companies software. Once he had given us his VIN it was not difficult to determine that he did not have our calibration. Since May, I have received six cases of a customers asking for GIAC but receiving a program from another company with out their knowledge. In most cases, the dealer or their wholesaler was not a GIAC distributor, but said that they could still source our products. Make sure your retailer is a GIAC distributor, and contact us if you are at all unsure about their distributor status or weather your car was in fact flashed.

Regardless of the reason we have only had two refunds in 2008, one in July where the customer felt that it was too much power, and one in April where the dealer did not pass on the customers reason for return. If you were the customer in April give us a call, perhaps we can help in getting to the bottom of what happened.