997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

08 997 TT - my update and request for advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Tim Windsor is infamous around these parts
08 997 TT - my update and request for advice

Hi Guys-

I posted once a while ago but wanted to to wait for more info/data before sharing.

I've been lucky so far with upgrades-- IPD (Turbo Mike) Plenum, 82mm throttle body and the new Y-Pipe. Protomotive ECU and Fabspeed exhaust. I had the fabspeed intake which love for the sound, but it's too flimsy to hold the Y-pipe in place and my car will blow it off no matter what clamp I use... So we are making a custom clamp to hold the y-pipe in place and I'll make air boxes for the fabspeed intake with Betim at BBi (actually he will do it), so I draw cold air.

All that is fine... car runs great.. We dyno'd it at 480 at the wheels with 561ft. pounds of torque. Also ran it in the quarter with a soft start it did 11.79 @ 123

The bad news... my rear end is howling (I don't shift hard ever) and the clutch is slipping. Literally now when my car spools, the tack will jump to rev limit. So babying it now... I am looking now for a good clutch but something drivable that will hold.. help?

-Tim

Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
I went with the Sachs Stage II and it has been holding up very well. Bites a bit quiker in 1 and 2 vs. the OEM obliviously however, OEM is for wimps anyways right!

Old 12-13-2008, 07:57 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
How much does it normal run for a clutch replacement?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:32 AM
wjh911 is infamous around these partswjh911 is infamous around these parts
Does a replacement clutch void any or all of the warranty???

Old 12-13-2008, 11:12 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by meaker
How much does it normal run for a clutch replacement?
There are a few different set ups but they're usually around 1800-ish for the full set up.

Originally Posted by wjh911
Does a replacement clutch void any or all of the warranty???
Technically it can... If something goes wrong with your transmission any dealer is within their right to deny a claim based an aftermarket clutch kit and/or power added but you need to find a dealer/location that's willing to work with you.

Originally Posted by Tim Windsor
Hi Guys-

I posted once a while ago but wanted to to wait for more info/data before sharing.

I've been lucky so far with upgrades-- IPD (Turbo Mike) Plenum, 82mm throttle body and the new Y-Pipe. Protomotive ECU and Fabspeed exhaust. I had the fabspeed intake which love for the sound, but it's too flimsy to hold the Y-pipe in place and my car will blow it off no matter what clamp I use... So we are making a custom clamp to hold the y-pipe in place and I'll make air boxes for the fabspeed intake with Betim at BBi (actually he will do it), so I draw cold air.

All that is fine... car runs great.. We dyno'd it at 480 at the wheels with 561ft. pounds of torque. Also ran it in the quarter with a soft start it did 11.79 @ 123

The bad news... my rear end is howling (I don't shift hard ever) and the clutch is slipping. Literally now when my car spools, the tack will jump to rev limit. So babying it now... I am looking now for a good clutch but something drivable that will hold.. help?

-Tim
Try out a few clutches first.. You'll find most people sell similar set ups dubbed "Stage II or III". If you can go with a stage II because it'll be easier to drive (especially with the hydraulic assist) and engage than a III. II usually consists of sachs and GT2 parts. One other thing you will likely need is a new OEM flywheel since by the sound of it yours isn't doing too well. You can't resurface a dual mass.