997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Driving the 997tt in below zero temps ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
Different Turbo but I bought a Cayenne Turbo S January 2nd. and it has 21" tires. I have wheels ordered for snow tires but not here yet. It is like driving on an ice rink. I put the 997 Turbo away for the winter but sometime catch a few cold days before and after storing it. It can be pretty slick on those cold days as the tires are very hard.

View from my window. 12degrees. That's Heinz Field on the left - GO STEELERS - & PNC Park on the right.
Oh com'on Duffy...that doesn't look so cold...

THIS is cold (Door County/Lake Michigan Jan 07)

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 01-14-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:16 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Ten degrees colder here today (70 is the high) and dipping into the 50's tonight.
I get a little taste of chill driving later.
50's huh?

I feel for you.

Don't hurt your self putting on a sweater.

(currently -3F, expecting -10F/-40F w/wind chill this evening...)

Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
pffffffff.....

Old 01-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Can't be that cold...I see ice melting on the hood.

Last edited by bbywu; 01-14-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
50's huh?

I feel for you.

Don't hurt your self putting on a sweater.

(currently -3F, expecting -10F/-40F w/wind chill this evening...)
It was a little chilly getting of the swimming pool after lap swimming and having the wind hit the little water spots on my back but its all good because the temp is dropping and there's low humidity . Turbo time !!!

Current temp =63 but its only 9PM.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
Suppose to get down to 1 tomorrow - dah Turbo sits in a heated garage under car cover. I could take off the cover and drive around the parking lot - been dying to drive it. Otherwise - the streets are horrible here - 1/8 inch of salt, black snow and the plows are making swiss cheese of the streets.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
wow some of you guys with the pics live in nice areas!

And LOL at the ZR1, theres a few youtube videos of an M3 vert on ice, its pretty funny. Car doesn't move! lemme know if u guys wanna see it, i'll find and post it.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
It's currently -35 F in some parts of chicago. I so wish i had a turbo in this weather!! Is engine oil even rated for use in these temperatures anyways?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Banned
Rezmoto is infamous around these parts
thank u Tropical weather!!! :-)

Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 AM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
Cold weather=turbo weather!
For me its one of the few upsides to winter lol!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
It's only 22 here today and about a half inch has fallen so far. The turbo is a beast with the snow tires, absolutely love it.

My car unfortunately sits outside, so to warm up, it takes about 10 mins of highway driving, for the heat to come on proper it takes about 5-7 mins. Can't say that its any worse or better than the M5 or RR Sport.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:33 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Saw a white 997TT cab (with a hardtop) driving around yesterday at -20.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 AM
RTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bbywu
Start up is fine for me, but I have an insulated garage...even when it is -2F outside, it's still at least 32F in my garage. Plus, I always have my battery tender plugged in.

I have to admit...I do allow warm up time. I'm not sure why...not even sure if it is a good idea...but it does make me feel better. One thing is for sure...the car definately gets warm fast.

Acceleration? I have winter tires - but even at sub zero temps, they are rock hard. Traction is a little difficult, but on the freeway, there's a enormous rush of power compared to summer driving.

Now if would excuse me, I need to go de-thaw my extremities...it's -6F and falling...

I know it goes against instincts but the manual says not to allow the car to warm up at idle. It says after start up to drive off right away, keeping the revs down. I guess it might have something to do w/ the lack of oil in the engine during start-up & idle vs. driving off. But it does makes mention of letting the car idle for a couple of minutes after driving & before shutting down.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Originally Posted by gmoney
just watch the tires, below 40 or so the summer ones can be problematic.
+1
Tires and traction are probably the main concern.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Originally Posted by RTEAMSTRADALE
But it does makes mention of letting the car idle for a couple of minutes after driving & before shutting down.
Equivalent to a turbo timer, most likely to help cool off turbo/seals/etc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving the 997tt in below zero temps ?