997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AWE 750R - Self Install and Review. (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
ONECMXLIV will become famous soon enoughONECMXLIV will become famous soon enough
AWE 750R - Self Install and Review. (with pictures)

Over the weekend Lin completed A.W.E. turbo upgrades, and I can’t say enough about the experience. We want to especially thank PorscheDoc who provided counsel throughout. He is a pro and an angel.

ECLOU in Houston provided the inspiration for the project. He kindly offered up his cell when we got started, and responded immediately to an email question that Lin had on Christmas Eve!

There is no way I can describe the undertaking better than eclou – check out his exploits here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...it-review.html

Lin’s objective for the project was to reduce lag, add a few ponies, and improve the exhaust note.

Of course our many thanks to Mike Romano and the team at AWE!!!

We can’t thank them enough for the first class service and support provided. Not to mention the hardware. The “new” turbo is truly a different beast. Unbelievable. Response is so immediate, that reining her in may be the challenge. Once out onto the highway, I was instantly at 60 without realizing the acceleration – just very smooth but massive power. One drawback for me might be the noise. Making a lot of noise isn’t my thing – sorry Lin. Inside the cabin isn’t bad, but I suspect it could get unpleasant on long hauls.

Having great friends to share the experience made it all the more enjoyable. Thanks to those who stopped by or showed an interest, gave moral support, and kept us laughing.

On Saturday, an early morning knock on the garage door by sh944 was a welcome surprise, and perfect timing to button things up and see if she fired! She did.

Lin still hasn’t wiped the grin from his face. Yaaay A.W.E., Yaaay Porsche, Yaaay!!!
Here are a few shots of a project we completed on 31 Jan 2009. Based on eclou's experiences and very excellent write up, we selected the AWE 700 kit and, we elected to tackle the install ourselves!

Once I located the right tool (a one-of-a-kind long, skinny hex for the inner most line), removing the turbos went well. (nothing like having a 1-800 number with ECLOU at the other end!)

ECU removed for shipping...

</O

<ONew headers and turbo fitted but not torqued until after oil and coolant lines have been attached.

The exhaust took a little bit of time. Had to loosely fit each cat to the turbo and then to the muffler for proper alignment before tightening the straps and turbo studs. Passenger side muffler being fitted, Cat and turbo heat sheld laying on the floor near well used tube of anti-seize. Used anti-seize on everything with a nut or bolt!

Rear shot of the completed assembly. Yes, in honor of Adam and the rest of the micro fiber brotherhood, I polished the fingerprints off of the stainless steel surfaces eventhough it will never be seen!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
ONECMXLIV will become famous soon enoughONECMXLIV will become famous soon enough
With all the exhaust pieces in place and aligned, we installed the side heat shields, primed the turbos, re-attached the final oil lines and installed the intercoolers.

Skilled help became available and we quickly finished the rear heat sheild...

...and bumper. We are one cup of coffee from ignition!

</O
Shrouded in dense oil smoke, PB Blaster overspray and various other chemicals, our transformed beast fired immediately and settled easily into a smooth, window rattling idle!

After reaching operating temperature with no CEL's, we let it cool down and checked for leaks and fluid level. (lots of oil smoke/fog and a very, very throaty exhaust!)

Our heartfelt thanks to those of you who were supportive of us during our project.

ECLOU, your article inspired us to undertake this project and your unselfish offers of assistance provided us the safety net to continue it. Thanks for everything. Without your influence, this post would have been focused on the merits of Zaino and preparing for the next Porsche Concours!

Karl, your patience and quick response to my numerous questions was superb, tactful and deeply appreciated.

Scott, your visits were always meaningful and timely!

Mike Romano, you and the guys at AWE are number one! Your stuff performs absolutely as advertised, WOW!

Respectfully...
Lin and Cheryl

Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
excellent job guys!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Yes, an awesome accomplishment.

We take great pride in the fact that owners are able to do this themselves in their own garage.

You were both a joy to work with!

Please stay in touch. Let me know if you ever need anything.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
Nice work, congrats on the massive upgrade, would love to hear it.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:24 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Jeez, i'm happy when I add oil without making a mess of things. Great job!!

Old 02-05-2009, 11:50 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Congratulations - You certainly were in good hands with Mike & Gene. As Mike can confirm, I have probably been driving him crazy with my vasillating whether to add this kit. Presently a third of the way there having done the ecu and exhaust. Did you change the clutch?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:57 AM
noah677 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
Congratulations - You certainly were in good hands with Mike & Gene. As Mike can confirm, I have probably been driving him crazy with my vasillating whether to add this kit. Presently a third of the way there having done the ecu and exhaust. Did you change the clutch?
I echo the above----did you change the clutch?? and if not, why not?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
Nice we can see the install (Eclou's pics don't appear on european 6speeder's computers)
i see a gen 1 exhaust?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Did you change the clutch?
Thank you.

Not yet. The clutch is part of phase 2 which will hopefully include the suspension. In the interim, the clutch will serve as "the egg" on the throttle and keep us grounded as we learn this new beast!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
As Mike can confirm, I have probably been driving him crazy with my vasillating whether to add this kit.
Not at all! You are educating yourself before you throw down a considerable chunk of change. I can't fault you for that.

Lin and I began emailing in June about his purchase!

Sometimes these things don't happen overnight. I am fully aware of that.

Frankly, I would not have it any other way. It's more fun having someone purchase your product and know all of the intricacies. That way if they are speaking to another potential client, their questions will be answered accurately.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks

Thanks for a fantastic documentation, especially photos, of your project. You're one of the do-it-yourself AWE 750 kit pioneers. Keep us posted of your new ride! Congratulations!
K.

P.S. Partly inspired by these photos, I just ordered the "beginner's kit" (620) and can attest to Mike's patience answering endless questions.

Last edited by Kafka997; 02-06-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:16 PM
KBF
KBF is on a distinguished road
very nice, looking at the kit myself.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by KBF
very nice, looking at the kit myself.
Thank you.

Making the initial decision on power level was a big hurdle for us and we spent a lot of time soul searching during the research phase.
...but installing it ourselves ranks clearly among our best experiences, ever!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Great write up! We hope you like the software!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWE 750R - Self Install and Review. (with pictures)