6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Fried my PCCBs on the Track--- switching to Brembo GT (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/171874-fried-my-pccbs-track-switching-brembo-gt.html)

chrisn 05-11-2009 07:19 PM

Fried my PCCBs on the Track--- switching to Brembo GT

I apparently overworked the PCCBs on the track and cooked them. The aluminum heat shield melted and the internals of the calipers got fried and brake fluid was squirting around the seals and burning off when it hit the backing plate on the pads. Not good.

I had this issue before and Porsche replaced one caliper under warranty. This time, I cooked all four corners.

This time, they denied warranty due to my power mods (EVT 700) over-working the braking system. They also say I should have been using track pads. I appealed the denial, but they weren't budging.

Anyway, I didn't want to pay $6K for new calipers and then pay $5K/corner for rotors when they go, so I am switching over to the Brembo GT kit (Yellow calipers, of course).

Anyone else manage to destroy their PCCBs?

-Chris

mr2guysingh 05-11-2009 07:27 PM

I bet you did a lot of hard braking.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VoPBSQFWXHU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

vividracing 05-11-2009 07:37 PM

Time for the Brembo 2pc rotors :) http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...ds=brembo+pccb

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/w...o380mmpccb.jpg

yrralis1 05-11-2009 07:40 PM

I have not experienced what you have but I haven'r driven my car at that level yet your post echoes what i had stated months ago . The PCCB is designed for a stock 997tt and with 700 Hp it would not be long before they fry .

BTW --I have been wondering what i am going to do with my steel brakes . if you want to buy them real cheap shoot me a PM and throw a price at me .

Otherwise you will love the Brembo.

TT Surgeon 05-11-2009 09:34 PM

Try out the girodiscs too, very nicely priced, <2k all 4 corners.

M3 S3-R 05-11-2009 11:05 PM

Most track cars I've seen have the Brembo GT kits gold calipers. Also the Alcon raceing brake kits are very big on the track. These kits are about 30K.

milou 05-11-2009 11:40 PM

PCCB is difficult to overhead, i believe they can handle much more heat than steel aftermarket ones, most probably you will fry the steel ones first time you track the car

luis@autodynamica 05-12-2009 09:16 AM

We had the same problems on 997TT with PCCB using EVT 700 kit in Mexico. We changed for the Brembo GTR and these are simply the best.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...p_image002.jpg

chrisn 05-12-2009 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by luis@autodynamica (Post 2382054)
We had the same problems on 997TT with PCCB using EVT 700 kit in Mexico. We changed for the Brembo GTR and these are simply the best.

Very interesting. I actually have the Brembo GTR kit (996TT version, however) on there now (free trial from Sharky---Thanks!). I don't like the look/size of the rear rotor and, although I haven't been on track with it, it feels too biased toward front braking.

I get front ABS engagement at what I think is lower overall deceleration rates as compared to the PCCBs-- but I acknowledge that this might be "in my head."

At 1/4 of the price (versus the new GTR kit), I think I will try the GT kit with 15" rotors on all corners and see how it holds up.

chrisn 05-12-2009 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by milou (Post 2381703)
PCCB is difficult to overheat, i believe they can handle much more heat than steel aftermarket ones, most probably you will fry the steel ones first time you track the car

Thanks for the encouraging words. ;-)

The "problem" with PCCBs is that they are so awesome at high heat that they give no feedback when being overworked. The rotor/pads/fluid all handle the heat fine, but apparently the weak link is the internal seals in the calipers. Extreme heat cooks them.

I am told that in steel brakes, they start to fade and otherwise give feedback "hey, buddy, you are killing me" and allow the driver to back off a bit.

vividracing 05-12-2009 11:13 AM

no the computer does not need to be updated if you go with the Brembo complete BBK or just change to the Brembo rotors with Pagid pads.

Gary II 05-12-2009 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 2382220)
Very interesting. I actually have the Brembo GTR kit (996TT version, however) on there now (free trial from Sharky---Thanks!). I don't like the look/size of the rear rotor and, although I haven't been on track with it, it feels too biased toward front braking.

I get front ABS engagement at what I think is lower overall deceleration rates as compared to the PCCBs-- but I acknowledge that this might be "in my head."

At 1/4 of the price (versus the new GTR kit), I think I will try the GT kit with 15" rotors on all corners and see how it holds up.

I'd be willing to bet that it's in your head. It's simply a confidence thing when you look at a smaller rear and such a large front. Mathematically, the bias is optimum for that application. The use of the smaller diameter disc is corrected by the use of larger diameter pistons.

Also, ABS will only interfere when you exceed the limits of the tires. If you are engaging ABS later with the GTR system it is simply due to the fact that the PCCB's may have had more initial bite. We can change pad compounds in the GTR system and achieve the same result.

milou 05-12-2009 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 2382242)
Thanks for the encouraging words. ;-)

The "problem" with PCCBs is that they are so awesome at high heat that they give no feedback when being overworked. The rotor/pads/fluid all handle the heat fine, but apparently the weak link is the internal seals in the calipers. Extreme heat cooks them.

I am told that in steel brakes, they start to fade and otherwise give feedback "hey, buddy, you are killing me" and allow the driver to back off a bit.

Sorry about that, i just wanted to state my opinion, i believe that PCCB are superior to any other brakes, especially for track use, i have them also and never regret them

Gary II 05-12-2009 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 2382220)
Very interesting. I actually have the Brembo GTR kit (996TT version, however) on there now (free trial from Sharky---Thanks!)

SCRATCH THAT LAST POST...

I just noticed that you mentioned you had a 996TT brake system on a 997TT.

The bias is in fact WRONG for that application and ABS functionality can and will be adversely affected. I do hope that this is not a permanent solution for your vehicle and you will be changing that sooner than later.

My previous post pertains only when using the proper brake system on the proper application.

GotBoost? 05-12-2009 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon (Post 2381538)
Try out the girodiscs too, very nicely priced, <2k all 4 corners.

When I fry my brakes, I'm going to try the girodiscs too.