997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fried my PCCBs on the Track--- switching to Brembo GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Fried my PCCBs on the Track--- switching to Brembo GT

I apparently overworked the PCCBs on the track and cooked them. The aluminum heat shield melted and the internals of the calipers got fried and brake fluid was squirting around the seals and burning off when it hit the backing plate on the pads. Not good.

I had this issue before and Porsche replaced one caliper under warranty. This time, I cooked all four corners.

This time, they denied warranty due to my power mods (EVT 700) over-working the braking system. They also say I should have been using track pads. I appealed the denial, but they weren't budging.

Anyway, I didn't want to pay $6K for new calipers and then pay $5K/corner for rotors when they go, so I am switching over to the Brembo GT kit (Yellow calipers, of course).

Anyone else manage to destroy their PCCBs?

-Chris

Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
I bet you did a lot of hard braking.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VoPBSQFWXHU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Old 05-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have not experienced what you have but I haven'r driven my car at that level yet your post echoes what i had stated months ago . The PCCB is designed for a stock 997tt and with 700 Hp it would not be long before they fry .

BTW --I have been wondering what i am going to do with my steel brakes . if you want to buy them real cheap shoot me a PM and throw a price at me .

Otherwise you will love the Brembo.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Try out the girodiscs too, very nicely priced, <2k all 4 corners.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Most track cars I've seen have the Brembo GT kits gold calipers. Also the Alcon raceing brake kits are very big on the track. These kits are about 30K.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
PCCB is difficult to overhead, i believe they can handle much more heat than steel aftermarket ones, most probably you will fry the steel ones first time you track the car

Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Former Vendor
luis@autodynamica is a splendid one to beholdluis@autodynamica is a splendid one to beholdluis@autodynamica is a splendid one to beholdluis@autodynamica is a splendid one to beholdluis@autodynamica is a splendid one to beholdluis@autodynamica is a splendid one to beholdluis@autodynamica is a splendid one to behold
We had the same problems on 997TT with PCCB using EVT 700 kit in Mexico. We changed for the Brembo GTR and these are simply the best.

Last edited by luis@autodynamica; 05-12-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Wrong Text
Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by luis@autodynamica
We had the same problems on 997TT with PCCB using EVT 700 kit in Mexico. We changed for the Brembo GTR and these are simply the best.
Very interesting. I actually have the Brembo GTR kit (996TT version, however) on there now (free trial from Sharky---Thanks!). I don't like the look/size of the rear rotor and, although I haven't been on track with it, it feels too biased toward front braking.

I get front ABS engagement at what I think is lower overall deceleration rates as compared to the PCCBs-- but I acknowledge that this might be "in my head."

At 1/4 of the price (versus the new GTR kit), I think I will try the GT kit with 15" rotors on all corners and see how it holds up.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by milou
PCCB is difficult to overheat, i believe they can handle much more heat than steel aftermarket ones, most probably you will fry the steel ones first time you track the car
Thanks for the encouraging words. ;-)

The "problem" with PCCBs is that they are so awesome at high heat that they give no feedback when being overworked. The rotor/pads/fluid all handle the heat fine, but apparently the weak link is the internal seals in the calipers. Extreme heat cooks them.

I am told that in steel brakes, they start to fade and otherwise give feedback "hey, buddy, you are killing me" and allow the driver to back off a bit.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
no the computer does not need to be updated if you go with the Brembo complete BBK or just change to the Brembo rotors with Pagid pads.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by chrisn
Very interesting. I actually have the Brembo GTR kit (996TT version, however) on there now (free trial from Sharky---Thanks!). I don't like the look/size of the rear rotor and, although I haven't been on track with it, it feels too biased toward front braking.

I get front ABS engagement at what I think is lower overall deceleration rates as compared to the PCCBs-- but I acknowledge that this might be "in my head."

At 1/4 of the price (versus the new GTR kit), I think I will try the GT kit with 15" rotors on all corners and see how it holds up.
I'd be willing to bet that it's in your head. It's simply a confidence thing when you look at a smaller rear and such a large front. Mathematically, the bias is optimum for that application. The use of the smaller diameter disc is corrected by the use of larger diameter pistons.

Also, ABS will only interfere when you exceed the limits of the tires. If you are engaging ABS later with the GTR system it is simply due to the fact that the PCCB's may have had more initial bite. We can change pad compounds in the GTR system and achieve the same result.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the encouraging words. ;-)

The "problem" with PCCBs is that they are so awesome at high heat that they give no feedback when being overworked. The rotor/pads/fluid all handle the heat fine, but apparently the weak link is the internal seals in the calipers. Extreme heat cooks them.

I am told that in steel brakes, they start to fade and otherwise give feedback "hey, buddy, you are killing me" and allow the driver to back off a bit.
Sorry about that, i just wanted to state my opinion, i believe that PCCB are superior to any other brakes, especially for track use, i have them also and never regret them

Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light
Very interesting. I actually have the Brembo GTR kit (996TT version, however) on there now (free trial from Sharky---Thanks!)
SCRATCH THAT LAST POST...

I just noticed that you mentioned you had a 996TT brake system on a 997TT.

The bias is in fact WRONG for that application and ABS functionality can and will be adversely affected. I do hope that this is not a permanent solution for your vehicle and you will be changing that sooner than later.

My previous post pertains only when using the proper brake system on the proper application.

Last edited by Gary II; 05-12-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:00 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Try out the girodiscs too, very nicely priced, <2k all 4 corners.
When I fry my brakes, I'm going to try the girodiscs too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fried my PCCBs on the Track--- switching to Brembo GT