997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fried my PCCBs on the Track--- switching to Brembo GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Wow, you cooked the PCCB? Must have been one heck of track day. Good luck with your new setup.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
multiowner is on a distinguished road
Read that the PCCB will not give the driver any warning of overheating, thus the seals breakdown.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I have to tell you I really prefer to read the "997TT is nearly indestructible at the track" posts far more than posts like this.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:26 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Sounds like you cooked everything but the rotors themselves, which is encouraging from the rotor standpoint, but not anywhere else.

What kind of fluid were you running? Brake cooling? Better pads would have only exhaggerated the effect by transferring more heat due to more grip. However they probably wouldn't have worn as fast and the thinner the pad, the more heat transfer soI guess it depends on how much pad material was left.

That's some serious braking if you melted all four corners man, you definitely need some 600* fluid which should be a must for any car with 300 or more hp with 3000 or more lbs especially if your tracks are hard on the brakes. Some GT3 RS/Cup ducts would help. The good thing is your brakes never gave out on you.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
I was running stock fluid, but again I never got ANY brake fade, so that was not the issue.

I was running Cup tires with the EVT 700 setup at Thunderhill. Main hard braking is done on main straight (142mph down to 85-ish), back straight (125-ish down to 45-ish) and a tight turn (11?) from 80-ish to 30-ish.

I am not the bravest / most talented driver out there, so I thikn I tend to over brake-- so add that to the mix.

Also, the pads were indeed getting thin (had just worn through the wear sensors--- then I immediately got off track so did not run them below that thickness).

Had I kept the PCCBs, I would prob not run the pads below 1/3 thickness--- which becomes painful / expensive. They are hard to change at the track and this rule would mean (for me) getting a $1000 pad swap done after every three trackdays.

I am hopeful that the Brembo GT brakes will have more pad surface area / wear life and will be easier to swap at the track.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Give me a call for a quote on the Brembo chrisn! Thanks!

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Sounds like you boiled your fluid, I did that once on my c4s and melted everything. I use super blue fluid, the stock stuff is NOT adequate for any track work imo.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:55 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Sounds like you boiled your fluid, I did that once on my c4s and melted everything. I use super blue fluid, the stock stuff is NOT adequate for any track work imo.
Sharky had put some "good stuff" in there, but dealer subsequently flushed and refilled with stock fluid when I had some prior brake work done.

I always thought (maybe wrongly) that "boiled fluid" would lead to brake fade / soft pedal since the bubbles in boiled fluid compresses instead of transmitting clamping force, whereas the liquid fluid doesn't compress. If I'm correct, then I don't think it was boiled fluid, because brakes worked great all day...

Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No, you are right, boiled fluid does result in soft pedal and eventual failure. However since he Carbons are so grippy you may have had a loss of pedal pressure and not really felt it as much or as fast as you would with steel. The result is everything else overheating before your pedal softening. The one thing about ceramics is that they can take a ton more heat than steel and still work.

Sometimes your fluid can boil and just go out without a soft pedal as well. You are fortunate to have had neither happen.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
Brake less and carry more speed into the turns!
Just kidding!
Wow to cook those pccb's you must have been drivng like the devil himself lol!
Best of luck with the new brakes.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:26 PM
grawe will become famous soon enough
Ouch

Old 05-18-2009, 09:28 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
See you tomorrow and I didn't have time to upload the pics but those are some mighty rotors (especially in the back now!).

Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
See you tomorrow and I didn't have time to upload the pics but those are some mighty rotors (especially in the back now!).
Cool. 15" in the rear should do the trick. I am placing my faith in physics-- if heat build up is the problem, more surface area on the rotor has to be part of the solution....

Old 05-19-2009, 10:37 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
here you go fellas.... considerably larger in the rear too and makes the fronts look small
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-upgrade.html

Old 05-19-2009, 12:46 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
how m any miles (total) did you have on your PCCB's and how many track days/miles?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fried my PCCBs on the Track--- switching to Brembo GT