997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Who has the stiffest rear adjustable sway bar?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
In my hastiness because of a conflict, I mis quoted what the sizes of my sway bars were. I just took the measurements with calipers.

Agency Power Front is 25.65mm and rear is 24.03mm. Solid bars 3 way adjustable

GMG front bars are 25.55mm and rear bars are 22.40mm. Hollow bars 3 way adjustable

RSS is I do not have a measurement, they just say 50% stronger. Hollow and 3 way adjustable

H&R is Front 26mm and Rear 24mm. Solid and 3 way Adjustable

TPC website says that each hole is a 10% change. They look like OEM GT3 bars.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:12 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
In my hastiness because of a conflict, I mis quoted what the sizes of my sway bars were. I just took the measurements with calipers.

Agency Power Front is 25.65mm and rear is 24.03mm. Solid bars 3 way adjustable

GMG front bars are 25.55mm and rear bars are 22.40mm. Hollow bars 3 way adjustable
Are you sure about GMG sway bars being hollow? If you read the GMG web site's fine prints http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_suspension.shtml
The GMG GT3 are hollow, but the GMG Turbo bars, I am not sure as the web site doesn't indicate such.

In addition, I am very surprised that the GMG rear is smaller than stock (22.4 vs. 23) per your measurement, as GMG rear is significantly stiffer than stock. Bottom line: Diameter doesn't appear to say much. We need percentage comparison to stock. Sorry to sound like a broken record , but that's the main point that I am trying to make.

Second bottom line: Are you sure you have the right GMG bars?

Last edited by cannga; 09-09-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have GMG 997 Turbo bars here instock. Blue bars, red bushings. I even had a set on my car. Eibach makes them and makes them hollow. You can tell they are hollow as the ends are crimped together unlike our solid ones where you weld on a end piece with the holes.

For your percentage compared to stock, you have the OEM size and the aftermarket size. Divide the number! The adjustment holes make that bar stiffer or softer allowing you to change over/under steer. As said above, also what matters is the length of the arm and mounting points. But basically in laymans terms, a larger diameter sway bar will be stiffer then a stock one regardless. Thicker bar, less flex. If you made the sway bar with GIANT extension arms, then yes it could be the size of a baseball bat but not stiffer. We keep the geometry of our sway bars the same as stock. But with the spacing of the holes for adjustment, the inner most hole closest to the bend reduces the arm length giving you a substantially stiffer bar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar

Last edited by vividracing; 09-09-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute

Our rear bar at the middle setting is 50% stiffer than the Factory GT3 bar... each hole adjusts 10%... We are about to release new bars so I wont release any of the new specs.

bars are hollow btw.

Last edited by TPCRacing; 09-09-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing

Our rear bar at the middle setting is 50% stiffer than the Factory GT3 bar... each hole adjusts 10%... We are about to release new bars so I wont release any of the new specs.

bars are hollow btw.
Thank you very much for your input. This is the type of information I am looking for is comparing to stock or to a sway bar i am familiar with. Thanks again.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
No problem man glad to help.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
I noticed the RSS name appear a few times so I will chime in as well with some information. There are a number of quality brands of sway bars on the market as mentioned in some of the earlier posts. In regards to the original post - there are additional factors in talking about the "stiffest" sway bar out there. For example, driver and driving style does play a factor. One driver may enter a turn a certain way, while another driver has a different method, etc. A full tank of gas in the front compared to a car running a lower fuel amount can affect handling as well with all things considered...

We view sway bars as a way of fine tuning the vehicle after you've figured out your spring rates and factored in driving style, car's handling characteristics and desired expectations.

Here are a few specifications on the RSS lineup, there are a few things we do keep private:

• The RSS Sway Bar Series are designed, engineered and made in the USA
• Our bars are adjustable and offer 3 attachment holes for droplink mounting
Part # 30056 (997 Turbo Front Sway Bar) 25.3mm
Part #30057 (997 Turbo Rear Sway Bar) 22.2mm <!--EndFragment-->
• RSS Sway Bars have a thicker wall and are hollow compared to the factory, thin wall bars - we also use superior steel than the factory bars
• RSS Sway Bars offer a 50% torsional stiffness improvement from the factory offering

The basic things that the RSS bars offer over the factory is adjustability, enhanced torsional stiffness, overall improved handling, reduced understeer and minimized body roll...

For what it's worth, we have a number of race cars running our bars with very positive feedback in addition to the many street enthusiasts ordering them every day from our network of authorized dealers...

Old 09-09-2009, 05:50 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RSSbryan
I noticed the RSS name appear a few times so I will chime in as well with some information. There are a number of quality brands of sway bars on the market as mentioned in some of the earlier posts. In regards to the original post - there are additional factors in talking about the "stiffest" sway bar out there. For example, driver and driving style does play a factor. One driver may enter a turn a certain way, while another driver has a different method, etc. A full tank of gas in the front compared to a car running a lower fuel amount can affect handling as well with all things considered...
Thank you for your great contribution. I have done some search and your products came highly recommended.
The walls inside the bar make a big difference despite the diameter. the material the bars are made of will also affect the torsion spring rate, correct me if am wrong here.
To give a small analogy, I bought a bottom strut plate for my corvette made by WCC and it was same thickness as the stock but made of much better metal and had a greater resistance to the stock, results were noticeable and great as my Corvette does not flex as much in steep driveways...
Can you share with us what metal would it be that your are using?

Again,

Thank you very much for jumping in here.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KA 997TT
Can you share with us what metal would it be that your are using?

Again,

Thank you very much for jumping in here.
Hi KA 997TT,

Thanks and your welcome. I don't mean to sound rude in any way but as I stated in my post, there are a few things we do keep private and the metal we use does fall into that category as it's proprietary. I can say that the steel is very high strength and offers unique qualities perfect for a sway bar application. I'm sure you understand especially with the nature of competition in the sponsored forum community.

Thanks again...feel free to contact us directly with any other questions

Old 09-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by RSSbryan
Hi KA 997TT,

Thanks and your welcome. I don't mean to sound rude in any way but as I stated in my post, there are a few things we do keep private and the metal we use does fall into that category as it's proprietary. I can say that the steel is very high strength and offers unique qualities perfect for a sway bar application. I'm sure you understand especially with the nature of competition in the sponsored forum community.

Thanks again...feel free to contact us directly with any other questions
I will make sure to drop you an email or a call. thank you I totally understand your point, well taken.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:14 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I will make sure to drop you an email or a call. thank you I totally understand your point, well taken.
Just FYI...I think the GT2 rear sway trumps all the other diameters...25.5mm diameter, 3 point adjustable.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Just FYI...I think the GT2 rear sway trumps all the other diameters...25.5mm diameter.
Is it adjustable??
I did not know that!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Is it adjustable??
I did not know that!
3 point adjustable, hollow tube. I think Doug (TT Gasman) can give you better track impressions...I've only made it to Blackhawk Farms once this summer.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
For your percentage compared to stock, you have the OEM size and the aftermarket size. Divide the number! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar
Simply dividing the numbers do NOT work. Why?

RSS (22.2 mm) and GMG (22.4 mm) rear sway are both smaller than stock (23 mm) , per your measurement. If we simply divide the numbers, then
RSS/Stock=.96
GMG/Stock=.97
The results imply both are softer than stock, which we both know is not the case.
In fact you and I both know : material, construction, length are important in torsion springs. Diameter alone does not tell the story - we both know that!

I asked questions to give potential customers a chance to learn about various competing products.
RSS, GMG, and TPC (thank you!) have so readily given theirs; why are you making me "divide the !!@#$% numbers"?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
why are you making me "divide the !!@#$% numbers"?
lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who has the stiffest rear adjustable sway bar?