997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2010 turbo is starting to bother me.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 PM
freeman is on a distinguished road
If you don't do real race, GT1 block don't mean anythign to you.

Track days don't count as races.Most owners don't know or care about GT1 block until new 2010 turbo is out.

New engine is not race proven yet,but it is not crap either. We can wait and judge it later.

BTW: PDK is crazy fast. I still prefer 6 speed manual though.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
gt1 block is also important to any one who might tune the engine. The GT1 dry sump block can relaibly make several hundred more horsepower than stock. New engine, who knows.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:51 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
gt1 block is also important to any one who might tune the engine. The GT1 dry sump block can relaibly make several hundred more horsepower than stock. New engine, who knows.
exactly.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
when Porsche starts racing the wet sump, then I'll drink the kool-aid

Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 AM
freeman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Very True.
GT1 blcok is the best bang for your buck for sure. It offers excellent value for the money,especially for a nice pre-owned example.

However, many buyers don't know the differences and simply want the latest and the greastest stock car.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
Some buyers care. I originally was waiting for a TT with PDK (I thought PDK would allow the turbos to keep spooling when shifting). Once it became apparent that the PDK was only going to be with the new engine, I decided I wanted the GT1 block more than PDK, and so I have a traditional 6 spd. Very glad I pulled the trigger when I did. Gonna keep this car for a very long time..

Old 09-22-2009, 01:15 PM
wyo997 will become famous soon enoughwyo997 will become famous soon enough
Do I understand that the 3.6 engine block in pre-2010 turbos is derived from a GT-1 engine of the past which is thought by some people to be inherently more robust than the 3.8 engine in the 2010? I now own a 2007 TT and am selling it for $89,500 after owning it just eight months because I am so impressed with the Porsche platformn that I hope to purchasing a new 2010 TT in 2010 with PDK and ceramic brakes and all options relating to suspension, engine mounts, sport-chrono, etc. It seems to me that with the latest engineering going into the design of modern cars in general, that making a "cheaper" 3.8 engine is merely another expression of design (and hopefully maintenance) efficiency- not an indictment of performance or manufacturing quality. I'm more concerned about the performance/feedback from the PDK in the turbo- than I am with faults in the AWD suspension set up. Recently, I test drove the new Ferrari California and was appalled by the lack of feedback from the double-clutch shifting. Only the change in engine exhaust note cued me that an upshift had occured. I'm anticipating that the 997TT PDK shift software will feel more authoritative, like a Ferrari F430's or Lamborghini's- than the poor California.

Last edited by wyo997; 09-22-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:58 PM
wyo997 will become famous soon enoughwyo997 will become famous soon enough
What is the A91 engine, the 3.8 that's now in (both?) the new 2010 GT3 and TT? Why does anyone think it's "crap" based on its dry sump oiling? I'd think criticism might be focused on the induction and direct-injection differences.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:02 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
No, no the 3.8 in the new turbo is based on the wet sump carrera engine, nothing in common with the dry sump 3.8 in the GT3.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Is this confirmed that the new engine is now a wet sump and not a dry dump?

Is it possible that the new engine is different design dry sump with integrated reservoir?

The main advantage of dry sump is constant oil delivery under the most extreme conditions and ability to mount engine lower in chassis for lower center of gravity and better handling. I am not sure Porsche would give up all of this on the new design; but I suppose I could be wrong.

I have heard a lot of nay sayers over the years, however, in general a Porsche today is far superior to one 20 years ago. I don't see that reliability has suffered as they still seem to have the highest rating customer satisfaction.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 PM
The other issue is how over engineered the block is. The GT1 is so strong, that tuners can easily get 600-700 hp out them without any major modifications to the block.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sloopy
Is this confirmed that the new engine is now a wet sump and not a dry dump?

Is it possible that the new engine is different design dry sump with integrated reservoir?

The main advantage of dry sump is constant oil delivery under the most extreme conditions and ability to mount engine lower in chassis for lower center of gravity and better handling. I am not sure Porsche would give up all of this on the new design; but I suppose I could be wrong.

I have heard a lot of nay sayers over the years, however, in general a Porsche today is far superior to one 20 years ago. I don't see that reliability has suffered as they still seem to have the highest rating customer satisfaction.
Sadly, as someone already alluded , most buyers won't know the difference. I don't buy the integrated dry sump double talk, if it has an oil pan it's a wet sump. This is a cost driven decision by the bean counters. The wet sumps cost a small fraction of a dry sump engine. You notice the race cars and the GT3/RS all still retain the proven dry sump, this speaks volumes.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:31 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
No more GT1 derived engine, hello cheapo engine. It was a necessary move (evil) for you know, cost and environmental reasons the beancounters will tell you and the marketing guys will say its more efficient and powerful than last years.

If you lease, dont mod, it makes little difference whats behind you and that seems to be the Porsche mentality as of late.

Thank goodness for the GT3 though, at least there is a glimmer of hope. That is the car to own in 2010 and if / when they pull that engine out of that car its going to hurt.

Time will tell if the new engine is crap, one thing for sure, its not race proven.

+1 and I have my doubts this engine can take the same level of power increases...