997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Standard Seats vs. Adaptive Sport Seats w/Driver Memory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
I have the adaptive sports seats in my 997S coupe, and to be honest, unless you are very small, I don't think you will get much benefit from them. I am 6'1" and weigh about 190. I have to keep the seat and side bolsters in the fully "relaxed" position to fit in the seats. So unless you are a small person, you really won't get much benefit from them, at least from being able to snug the seats up.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:26 PM
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by GS997S
I have the adaptive sports seats in my 997S coupe, and to be honest, unless you are very small, I don't think you will get much benefit from them. I am 6'1" and weigh about 190. I have to keep the seat and side bolsters in the fully "relaxed" position to fit in the seats. So unless you are a small person, you really won't get much benefit from them, at least from being able to snug the seats up.
fair point. i'm ok with leaving the bolsters "fully relaxed". i am more concerned that the stock seats are too narrow and hoping that the adaptive seats provide a wider back, which i think is the case based on peoples' comments here. i hope.....

Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by trice9
fair point. i'm ok with leaving the bolsters "fully relaxed". i am more concerned that the stock seats are too narrow and hoping that the adaptive seats provide a wider back, which i think is the case based on peoples' comments here. i hope.....
I don't have a Turbo, so I can't comment on those seats. But, I had the standard seats with power adjustment in my 07 997S coupe and the adaptive sport seats in my 08 997S, and I do not think the adaptive seats are wider than the standard seats in 997. I like the adaptive seats, but they are on the snug side for me, even fully relaxed.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:51 AM
porschestrabe is on a distinguished road
Don't give it a second thought -- you MUST MUST MUST get the adaptive sport seats!!!!

of course, I am chic and that may make a difference - without the adaptive sport seats, I slide around too much on corners. Also, its great to get a little hug when your driving in manner befitting the car...

Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 AM
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by porschestrabe
Also, its great to get a little hug when your driving in manner befitting the car...
Something just entered my mind - do these seats adjust as you are driving? i didn't think so, but your comment made me rethink that. I have that on my M5, and it is great when going around a corner or through twisties, and you feel the side bolster "inflate", keeps you right in the seat. i thought it was a gimmick when i got the car, but it actually is quite nice.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:18 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I'm 5'11" and 200lbs. I bought some 997 sport seats and put them in my 996TT. I recently drove 5 hours, each way, to VIR and back, and the seats were very comfortable the whole time. Never felt any discomfort or need to get out and move around.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:23 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by trice9
Trice,

Go to dealer and confirm this for me, but this is how I remember it:

The Adaptive Seat is ***NOT*** wider than the Standard Power seat. The key difference between the 2 seats are not size, but the bolsters.
The bolsters on adaptive seats are bigger and make a sharper angle with the flat seat surface so that they hold you in place better during spirited driving. This angle is adjustable and I believe that's why they are called adaptive.

I had the Regular seat in my 997 and Adaptive in my Turbo. Love the Adaptive but I do think if anything the adaptive *feels* narrower because of those bolsters and the sharper angle they make with the surface.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cannga

Love the Adaptive but I do think if anything the adaptive *feels* narrower because of those bolsters and the sharper angle they make with the surface.
Second that,,,,,,especially if you have broader shoulders, took me a while to get nestled into mine

w

Old 11-20-2009, 10:23 PM
porschestrabe is on a distinguished road
trice9 - hope this info helps:
The adaptive seats don't adjust as you drive - but when you're cornering, you do feel the bolsters holding you in. We've had standard seats and adaptive sport seats in our Pcars over the years - We wouldn't purchase anything but adaptives now that we know better.

My husband is 6'2 190 or 200 lbs. He prefers the adaptive seats too. More options and more comfortable -- especially on a long spirited drive!!

The sport seats on the M series are really great -- Even more snug than the Pcar. A funny story -- Having adjusted and saved my setting on both the driver's and passenger's side of our BMW, I remember once giving a client a ride to a meeting. When I turned on the car and the side bolsters automatically started filling to the saved position, my client, who was unfamiliar with the seats, said, "This is strange, but I think your car is trying to hug me." It was funny at the time...

Speaking from experience, if you are used to driving in M series seats -- You absolutely must get the adaptives on the P-car -- otherwise, you will not be happy!!!

Old 11-21-2009, 07:44 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cannga
Below quote is from an old post of mine. The key difference between normal and adaptive seats are the depth (size) and adjustability of the 4 bolsters: 2 on the seat and 2 on the seat-back.

>>>>>>>>>>>
Don't know about 997.2 but in the 997.1 Turbo, these are the seat choices:

1. Standard Seats: Has power adjustment on everything EXCEPT the bolsters on the seat and on the seat-back.

2. Sports Seats: Has power seat-back, but not the seat itself. Meaning: manual seat height and fore/aft positions. Not sure if seat's rake angle is adjustable -- I do not think it is (a big negative for me if true).

3. Adaptive Seats: Every position is power adjustable.

The difference between 1 and 2: Bolsters and electronic control. 2 has deeper seat and seat-back bolsters, but 1 has electronic control and has control of the seat rake angle.

The difference between 1 and 3: Bolsters. First, the seat bolster of 3 is bigger/higher/deeper. Second, the seat bolster is adjustable. Third, the seat-back bolster is also adjustable.

The difference between 2 and 3: Electronic control, memory, and seat rake angle (someone please correct me if I am wrong on this). Because I tend to be very finicky about seat rake angle, and about maintaining exact seat position, I actually do not like seat number 2. I have never seen this seat and wonder if the manual control has the same degree of freedom as electronic (not continuous control).

Lastly, 2, and probably 3, has firmer upholstery than 1. I hope I have not been thoroughly confusing. Just trying to help here. Be careful about this as you definitely don't want the wrong seats in this 150k car. My ranking is 3, 1, 2. I had #1 in my 997 C2, and now have #3 in my Turbo.

Excellent description of all three seats. There are four actually, well five if you consider sport buckets: the aforementioned and standard (#1 above) with manual adjustment; non-sport (no shoulder bolsters.)

I've had Carrera standard w/power option, turbo standard seats (which are the same as standard Carrera seats but w/power standard) and Adaptive Sport. The Adaptive Sport were by far the best I've owned. The girlfriend and I prefered them.

I did extensively test drive a 997.1 GT3 which had option #2 (which is standard on that car). The rake did adjust with the manual height adjustment but was not an independent option and only changes slightly. As you raise the seat the rake gradually cants forward. I thought those seats were nice, however, on any car other than a GT3 I'd opt for the Adaptive Sport Seats. I hope the Sport Seats are as I remember as I have them coming on my new GT3.

Last edited by 911dev; 11-23-2009 at 07:05 AM.