997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

softronic flash - choppy and backfiring - plugs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 AM
ed997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to behold
softronic flash - choppy and backfiring - plugs?

Did the upload last night and car gets very choppy/jerky at 4k rpms and higher and backfires. Car is a 2008 997tt with 16k miles and input I have received and my research seems to be the plugs. It still has the original plugs. Before I spend $600+ to get them changed to hopefully solve the problem, wanted to get some input from the experienced/knowledgeable members. Also, denso IK22, IK20 or PK20tt?, my research and searching has shown all 3 have been used. Denso site specs IK20 and PK20tt. thanks much guys. Ed.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
as a point of reference I have 15k on my car with a different flash and I do not experience those issues on the stock plugs it came with. I believe a plug swap is recommended at 20k though from most of the tuners.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ed997tt
Did the upload last night and car gets very choppy/jerky at 4k rpms and higher and backfires. Car is a 2008 997tt with 16k miles and input I have received and my research seems to be the plugs. It still has the original plugs. Before I spend $600+ to get them changed to hopefully solve the problem, wanted to get some input from the experienced/knowledgeable members. Also, denso IK22, IK20 or PK20tt?, my research and searching has shown all 3 have been used. Denso site specs IK20 and PK20tt. thanks much guys. Ed.
Ed, are getting any CELs? Do you have any other mods on the vehicle? Do you have the ability to check the AFR during acceleration?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM
ed997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to behold
thx for responses. bbywu - no cels, has fabspeed V3 exhaust and fabspeed air intake. no ability to see AFR.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Did you buy your car new or used? I'm not sure plugs are the answer...it sounds like you're running lean at higher RPMs.

This sounds most consistent with a fuel related problem. Which octane are you running? Have you talked to Scott at Softronics?

Last edited by bbywu; 12-09-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:02 PM
bought car used, have had it for 6 months and 7k miles. has run flawlessly. uploaded file last night and took for a drive and problem was immediately there. I pm'd Scott and have not heard back yet.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
bought car used, have had it for 6 months and 7k miles. has run flawlessly. uploaded file last night and took for a drive and problem was immediately there. I pm'd Scott and have not heard back yet.
Scott is a reasonable guy. If you purchased the flash through Dan at Vivid, you may want to have him expedite your call.

If your car was not bone stock prior to your flash (ie previous owner did a lot of mods and ECU flashes) your plugs may be shot. Most plugs can go around 20K miles with mods before you need to replace them. If your car was stock prior to this, I don't think the plugs are the problem.

What you describe sounds like a fuel issue. If you were in the area, I would plug my scanner in and print the AFRs out for you...you'd know instantly if that were the issue.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:46 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
May be a flash program issue, doubt plugs, they usually don't appear as an acute event, rather they progress over several weeks then throw a CEL. I would scan the car with a durametric 6.0.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Showking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely better off contacting Dan.. He's probably the most knowledgeable guy on Softronic, not to mention he'll actually get on the phone with you. He helped me out with the install. No problems thus far. I spoke to a few people that run the same tune and no problems reported there either. Have you tried flashing back to stock and then back again? Maybe something got screwed up during the transfer?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Talked to Dan, he said put in new plugs. They did not send me back original file so could not flash back, Dan said I should get original today. I plan to flash back to stock and back again as a next step as well. thanks.

Originally Posted by Showking
Definitely better off contacting Dan.. He's probably the most knowledgeable guy on Softronic, not to mention he'll actually get on the phone with you. He helped me out with the install. No problems thus far. I spoke to a few people that run the same tune and no problems reported there either. Have you tried flashing back to stock and then back again? Maybe something got screwed up during the transfer?

Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Talked to Dan, he said put in new plugs. They did not send me back original file so could not flash back, Dan said I should get original today. I plan to flash back to stock and back again as a next step as well. thanks.
I hope things work out. If you don't have success, see if you can find someone with a Durametric scanner...it is a very useful tool for datalogging.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Showking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond reputeShowking has a reputation beyond repute
Don't feel bad.. I didn't get my original for a few days. I called Dan... got it that day. Good luck bro and trust me, once you get it straightened out it'll all be worth it!!

-Showking

Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 PM
ZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really nice
I have read in times past that if you get a flash for 93 octane and run 87 or 91 it will cause the car to do this, not sure if this is the issue but what octane did you set the tune for? I have the Softronic tune on my 2008 997 TT and it is very smooth. Either way I hope it works out for you.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:17 PM
it is a 91 octane tune which is what is in car. as next step, I will try the flash back and reflash tonight if I get the original file today and see if it works. thx.

Originally Posted by ZZinger
I have read in times past that if you get a flash for 93 octane and run 87 or 91 it will cause the car to do this, not sure if this is the issue but what octane did you set the tune for? I have the Softronic tune on my 2008 997 TT and it is very smooth. Either way I hope it works out for you.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
i am using a Greddy boost controller in my car...
After 14kmiles plugs(denso ik22) failed.when boost was off(0,8bar) engine was running fine...At low boost (1,2) engine was running fine...but at high boost (1,37) the car surged and hesitated from 4 to 5,5krpm...above 5,5 it worked fine...it was plugs that could not burn under high pressure at mid rpm where cilinder pressure is higher(max torque)...So your problem should be plugs...if you switch to normal file your problem will dissapear but under higher boost you need new plugs...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: softronic flash - choppy and backfiring - plugs?