997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2010 Turbo or Aston Martin V8V?

Old 01-04-2010, 02:19 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Personally I don't think they're in the same class, the Vantage is more of a GT and I'd compare it to a Maserati GT, BMW M6, or maybe an AMG CL or CLS.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:35 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shawminator
Good question. Since I've owned both, I'll give you my perspective. Here's my high-level summary:

Design - Vantage
Uniqueness - Vantage
Exhaust sound - Vantage
Acceleration - Turbo
Braking - Turbo
Steering - Turbo
Build quality - Turbo
Dependability - Turbo
Overall driving experience - Turbo
I am with you a 100%, but it is still a tough choice. For that kind of money, I am looking for:
1) design
2) uniqueness
PLUS
3) build quality
4) dependability.

Sound and acceleration is secondary. But I can see 3 and 4 can kill the ownership experience

Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shawminator
Good question. Since I've owned both, I'll give you my perspective. My relevant car buying history has been as follows: '05 Carrera S Cab > '07 Vantage Coupe > '08 Vantage Roadster > '09 Turbo Cab. Here's my high-level summary:

Design - Vantage
Uniqueness - Vantage
Exhaust sound - Vantage
Acceleration - Turbo
Braking - Turbo
Steering - Turbo
Build quality - Turbo
Dependability - Turbo
Overall driving experience - Turbo

From my point of view, the only areas where the Aston had the edge where in the design and engine note department. There is no denying that the Aston is without a doubt one of the most beautiful cars on the road today. People tend to stop and stare when an Aston drives by. Given the plethora of Porsches and shared family design elements, Porsches are more of a common sighting these days. That being said, the Turbo blows the Aston out of the water in just about every other way though. The biggest downfall of the Aston is performance...it's just not fast enough. The engine note was fantastic, but it simply wasn't followed by spirited acceleration. This is where the Turbo shines. For the money, the Turbo is one of the fastest, best handling sports cars one can buy. Everytime I step on the accelerator I can't help but smile as the car responds like a stalking lion pouncing on his prey. The Turbo is just so damn powerful and nimble. What a joy she is to drive...and that is exactly what matters the most IMHO.
+ 2 on this one, well said....

Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Some one noted two different class and styles of auto and I do agree.

The Aston is indeed beautiful though while different the Turbo is just as beautiful
if not as uniquely sighted.

And may be not as uniquely sighted "because" of the smart consumer ownership-driving experience...

The only "marketing" "problem" I feel with Porsche is while I understand the Porsche TURBO marque is their "perfect track-street" every day super car trying to weigh a perfect center of balance, (or allowing the GT2,GT3 some marketing breathing room--reality check) Porsche SHOULD have offered some GT2 or similar options for the race boy enthusiast, such as at the least two types of exhaust systems, or sport exhaust like they have always done in the Carrera line up...

Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
rockamoto is on a distinguished road
I considered the Vantage V8 before I decided to go with the 997TT. Besides agreeing to what everyone on the thread has said, another thing to consider is whether or not you want to mod the car in the future. For example, if you're not happy about the sound of the turbo exhaust, there are a number of great after market options you can replace the stock system with. Same for engine mods, suspension, exterior etc. Lots of choices from proven suppliers like Techart, Ruf and even Porsche's own Tequipment. Aston Martin does not have such a rich after-market industry.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor
D2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to all
We examples of both on our show car fleet, and the gamut has already been covered.

If it means anything further the Turbo has alot more interior space (legroom, headroom, etc) over the V8V. I find the Turbo to be almost eery in its simplicity of operation. Coming out of a Viper or even Gallardo, the 997 seriously feels like a luxury car! lol lol

Anyways, since you don't seem to be concerned with speed, maybe you should give the V8V a shot.

Here's examples of the cars we take to shows and such, just for reference:

(if you are wondering about the location of the pics, we are located in NY, so these pics are both from NYC, lol)

Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I really don't think that the Vantage is that unique. The new Jag is just as good looking and a better value. What are we really talking about here anyway? Neither of these are $200k super exotics. If what you want is a "look at me" car and performance, race proven realiability, and build quality are t at the top of the list get the Vantage.
Have you even driven both yet? That should matter most.

I still can't park my TT and walk away without looking back not just because of the way it looks but because of the way it drives.
JS

Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by tay tay
if your looking for exclusivity, design and all of that i would definitely go with the aston.
+1..

Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
I really don't think that the Vantage is that unique. The new Jag is just as good looking and a better value. What are we really talking about here anyway? Neither of these are $200k super exotics. If what you want is a "look at me" car and performance, race proven realiability, and build quality are t at the top of the list get the Vantage.
Have you even driven both yet? That should matter most.

I still can't park my TT and walk away without looking back not just because of the way it looks but because of the way it drives.
JS
Thanks for your thought, I am not looking or exotic, this will be a daily driver. The design is important to me because my passion is industry design. I drove the vantage several time, love the sound and the look. Drove the turbo once, but own C2s before, so I am very familiar with Porsche. But it has to have good build quality.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by D2FORGED
We examples of both on our show car fleet, and the gamut has already been covered.

If it means anything further the Turbo has alot more interior space (legroom, headroom, etc) over the V8V. I find the Turbo to be almost eery in its simplicity of operation. Coming out of a Viper or even Gallardo, the 997 seriously feels like a luxury car! lol lol

Anyways, since you don't seem to be concerned with speed, maybe you should give the V8V a shot.

Here's examples of the cars we take to shows and such, just for reference:

(if you are wondering about the location of the pics, we are located in NY, so these pics are both from NYC, lol)

both looks great, thx for the pic

Old 01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
BMWPower06 will become famous soon enough
EVERYTIME I see an Aston V8 Vantage, I ask myself why the hell the owner paid more for it than a Porsche, when the Porsche is superior in EVERY way. If you just want to show off, get the V8V. If you want a real (man's) car get the 911.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mdc
Thanks for your thought, I am not looking or exotic, this will be a daily driver. The design is important to me because my passion is industry design. I drove the vantage several time, love the sound and the look. Drove the turbo once, but own C2s before, so I am very familiar with Porsche. But it has to have good build quality.
Sounds to me like you really want the Aston and you want people from this forum to tell you that it's the right choice. You have a biased crowd here as most of us have owned several P cars and already decided it was the best choice from a value, performance, and build quality point of view.

I have been in the fashion business for over 35 years and the essence of great design is the ability to stay relevant over time and still be desired. You don't have to look further than the 911 for true design sustainability.

Good luck you may have better luck getting the answer you want on the Aston forum. Whatever you choose enjoy it they are both nice cars.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
mdc,

I was/am in the same boat. Have you considered a gallardo?

Edwin

Old 01-05-2010, 06:17 PM
knicks will become famous soon enough
no doubt the turbo. in my mind it would all come down to if the aston's sexyness makes up for the reliability problems
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
Sounds to me like you really want the Aston and you want people from this forum to tell you that it's the right choice. You have a biased crowd here as most of us have owned several P cars and already decided it was the best choice from a value, performance, and build quality point of view.

I have been in the fashion business for over 35 years and the essence of great design is the ability to stay relevant over time and still be desired. You don't have to look further than the 911 for true design sustainability.

Good luck you may have better luck getting the answer you want on the Aston forum. Whatever you choose enjoy it they are both nice cars.
You might be right on your first point. ; D. Yes, 911 is an iconic design. It is one of the best example in brand building exercise. I am on a 50/50 split on both cars. All inputs are great, esp those that has with ownership experience of both cars.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Turbo or Aston Martin V8V?