997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Ceramic Brakes vs Steel (mantainece costs)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:41 PM
laxexquis is on a distinguished road
Ceramic Brakes vs Steel (mantainece costs)

Hello,

forgetting the extra cost of getting ceramic brakes, when the time comes to replace the brakes, how much different is the cost?

I would obviously guess that the ceramics cost more then the steel brakes, but then I thought that as the ceramics are more durable, you don't have to replace them as often.

Would that even out the costs?

John

Old 02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
wallmon is on a distinguished road
I've heard the mileage figure of 100,000+ miles between brake jobs with the PCCB brakes. The no brake dust is the thing that I like about them.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:05 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The pccbs are still going to wear, just not as fast as steel. 100k miles between brake jobs is unrealistic, even if your mother is driving the car. I just replaced my pads, rotors, and all. Parts were about 1300, labor at the dealer runs ~500$. Did it myself, but even if you have the dealer do it, still a better deal than ceramics which will run about 14k for the same job.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
PCCB all the way, if you don't track the car you might never change rotors

Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
VailTT has a reputation beyond reputeVailTT has a reputation beyond reputeVailTT has a reputation beyond reputeVailTT has a reputation beyond reputeVailTT has a reputation beyond reputeVailTT has a reputation beyond reputeVailTT has a reputation beyond reputeVailTT has a reputation beyond reputeVailTT has a reputation beyond reputeVailTT has a reputation beyond reputeVailTT has a reputation beyond repute
I was told around $5k for a ceramic rotor. But, you may never need to replace them. There is a difference in the performance, but you would not need them on the street.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
laxexquis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VailTT
I was told around $5k for a ceramic rotor. But, you may never need to replace them. There is a difference in the performance, but you would not need them on the street.
That answers my question-not even close to worth it.

John

Old 02-15-2010, 08:37 PM
FSU-997TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VailTT

$5k is a little too much. Less than $4K when purchased as sets, but still substantially more than the steel rotors. I wish I would have selected them...especially for eliminating brake dust.

Check Suncoast below:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...TCERAMICS.html

Old 02-15-2010, 08:43 PM
CTTMCT is on a distinguished road
They might not generate dust but they sure do squeal a lot in traffic. I hate noisy brakes.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
It's a matter of your needs and driving style.

For me PCCB no brake dust, no noise, consistent braking with no fade=WIN. You need to look at it this way too, if maintenance cost are a factor you can always use steel rotors if the ceramics ever require replacement.

Mike

Originally Posted by laxexquis
That answers my question-not even close to worth it.

John

Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
PCCB's will last a long time. I have seen 100K cars with no brake issues. And no, grandma is not the driver.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 AM
20T
20T is on a distinguished road
Depends if you track it, if you do I would recommend steel rotors as the pccb will wear not as far as the steel rotors, cost vs performance: use steel

Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 AM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
Why I like em

My 2008 TT with PCCB has 23K mile. I like to push the envelope, but no track time. Pads are about 30% worn. That should get me to 70K miles.

I like the look, the fact that my HRE's are always clean, and that I can stop on a dime.

Are they worth the $9K added to the sticker price- NO.

Am I happy with them - YES

Will my next TT have them - YES.

If you want to make a good investment in a car - buy a Toyota - great discounts and deals out there. Plus they have random surprise launch control built in.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I've bee told the best way to lengthen life of the pccb rotors is to not let the pads get beyond 50% life.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Originally Posted by E55AMG
I've bee told the best way to lengthen life of the pccb rotors is to not let the pads get beyond 50% life.
TPC's techs told me 60% yesterday.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:30 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Yes, that's true, any pccb pad at 50% should be changed. If you're just 'pushing the envelope' on the street your car will never see the heat and stress experienced on the track, then your rotors will last a long time. My steels lasted 48k miles. If brake dust is an issue, by all means get the pccbs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Brakes vs Steel (mantainece costs)