997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fire Extinguisher Installation on Porsche 997 Turbo Cabriolet by G Rides

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Former Vendor
Gary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond repute
Fire Extinguisher Installation on Porsche 997 Turbo Cabriolet by G Rides

We installed this Seat Mounted Fire Extinguisher Kit. Some tips to anyone considering doing this.

1. Protect your interior well, don't want to scratch anything.

2. When removing power seats, remove the back seat bolts first, slide the seat back to access front bolts, disconnect the battery (Ground Terminal), wait a good 10 minutes (allow time for discharge for airbag safety), then remove the front seat bolts, tilt the seat back to access the wiring harnesses and disconnect them.

3. You need to have the seat fully elevated to allow room to work, we realized this once the seat was out, moved the seat close to the car and plugged the harnesses back in to do this. With a Cabriolet, there's enough room to get the seat in and out like this (Seat Fully Elevated), not sure with the coupe.

4. Remove the seat carefully and with some help, these Sport Adaptive Seats are Heavy. With the Cabriolet you can lift straight out, we changed seats in a Coupe not long ago and it's a little trickier.

5. Remove the 3-Seat Springs. You have to slide two of the Fire Extinguisher Reinforcement Plates between the seat cushion and seat pan, then insert fasteners, tight fit and requires some patients. The kit does not come with the fasteners so you will have to source that, we used stainless with nylock nuts.

6. Your through the hardest part, now fasten the Extinguisher Bracket, need to source more fasteners for this, we used Stainless again and some Blue Loctite.

7. Install the Fire Extinguisher Cradle.

8. Reinstall the seat.

We are happy to supply the parts and provide installation as well.

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher1.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  86.6 KB

Please notice the three springs on the floor in front of the seat, these are the ones which need to be removed.

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher2.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  95.0 KB

The parts:

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher3.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher4.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  118.9 KB

The Fire Extinguisher Reinforcement Plates are installed behind the seat pan, note the nylock nuts.

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher5.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  87.3 KB

Fire Extinguisher Bracket installed to those Reinforcement Plates.

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher6.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  89.9 KB

Seat Springs back in.

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher7.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  86.7 KB

Fire Extinguisher Cradle.

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher8.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher9.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  79.9 KB

Seat back in.

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher10.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher11.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher12.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher13.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  136.4 KB

Name:  997TTFireExtinguisher14.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  97.8 KB

Old 03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
nice

took me and a tech at a porsche specialty shop 2 hours to do it...pain in the butt

Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 AM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
I know that this could possibly be a stupid question but...

Why would you go through all that work to put a fire ext in the car??

Old 03-02-2010, 08:07 AM
insp185 is on a distinguished road
Some driving events are requiring the FE. Thanks to Gary for a quality job once again. The unit looks perfect and absolutely no problems with the install.Looking forward to the next track event.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Former Vendor
Gary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond repute
Thank for the input guys. Insp185 thanks again for the work.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
Oh I see. It looks cool! Nice work.

Originally Posted by insp185
Some driving events are requiring the FE. Thanks to Gary for a quality job once again. The unit looks perfect and absolutely no problems with the install.Looking forward to the next track event.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Very nice - my back hurts just looking at the install - great work. Does anyone know were to find a replacement FE for the OEM unit?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:29 PM
insp185 is on a distinguished road
I would imagine that Sunset or Suncoast carry them. It's an OEM part.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by drsullivan
Very nice - my back hurts just looking at the install - great work. Does anyone know were to find a replacement FE for the OEM unit?
Part #: PNA-722-115-70

Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 AM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by insp185
I would imagine that Sunset or Suncoast carry them. It's an OEM part.
Thanks! Found it $139

Old 03-05-2010, 12:37 AM
P2P
P2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the rough
I prefere to see a NOS in its place

Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
i didnt expect it to be this hard !

Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
that sure is a lot of work for an FE. Great job.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Nice install guide!

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I have an extinguisher to put in my 996 Turbo and was looking at putting it in the same location but without taking out the seat. There's a mounting location available without that step with the bracket I have.

The only thing I didn't like when trying it out is the extinguisher is difficult to remove from between your legs. If you were in an accident and really needed it, I imagine it would be even more difficult. I also considered the passenger side, but don't want to put it on the center tunnel, and putting it in front of the passenger seat on the floor puts it too far away I think.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher Installation on Porsche 997 Turbo Cabriolet by G Rides