997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cup tire question pls: Pirelli vs. Michelin -- which one has softer ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 AM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
the michelin's have a treadwear rating of 80, so don't expect much longevity out of them

Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 AM
prg
prg is on a distinguished road
Psc have a very stiff side wall. Ride quality is poor over imperfect road surfaces. My only experience with the corsa systems has been on Ferraris where I've liked them, but I can't give you a direct back to back experience on the same car.

As mentioned above, the corsas are superior to the psc's in the wet. Esp after some treadwear has occurred.

Last edited by prg; 04-14-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:30 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
Can I have run 2 sets of N0 Cups and they really don't feel much different than the PS2's save for more tramlining. I am going to switch to Corsas next.
Gene, are you switching any time soon? I am trying to decide between Michelin and Pirelli and would really like to hear your opinion on this matter before I make my decision. TIA.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:45 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Can I am sitting on a new set of Corsas that will go on once the cords start showing on my Cups. I am that cheap!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:26 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
After all the "talk," think I'd better try the tires myself. For the summer I plan to install either Pirelli Corso or Michelin Cup. Questions please:

1. For those who have had both Pirelli and Michelin: which one has the softer ride? And which one is more quiet?
2. What pressures do you run front and rear for street driving? Is it at a range that will trigger a TPMS low pressure alarm? If so, what do you do to turn it off?
3. I've read repeated comments that Pirelli is better in the wet than Michelin. True? (I do plan to switch to the regular street tire after the summer, when it starts raining here in Southern Cal.)
4. Any difference between Michelin NO and N1?

Car is primarily street use, with weekend drives in canyon roads at a little higher speed. Any advice would be welcome (Not the type the says "don't use it" though. LOL) & thanks in advance.
Ive had both these exact tires on my second set of rims which i use for track days and have also driven them on street for short periods to and fro track and for the odd few days in between changing the street rims back. I personally found the corsas to be a bit better grip wise on track but not by much. They tend to give up on the outer edges (wear out) much faster than the PS cups and dont last as long as the cups so now I use the PS cups for my track days mainly due to the better wear and cost. You really need to be pushing both these tires consistently very hard to get them hot enough to get the best out of them grip wise so for street and driving fast on canyon/country roads id personally stay with street tires (PS2's) anyday as i cant see how you will get them hot enough. Please note that you will need a proper alignment and at least @ 2 deg neg camber F and R, and corner weights, heights set etc or these will not do it for you even on the track. You will come away disapointed as others will be going past you in the corners. In the wet i would agree the corsas are a bit better due to the outer edge being grooved more than the PS cup but that can work against you wear wise when things really heat up in track use. You wont get the same amount of days life between replacement. On the ride, both are much the same to me. Just my opinion.. Eitherway good luck with your decision .

Last edited by speed21; 04-16-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:22 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
Can I am sitting on a new set of Corsas that will go on once the cords start showing on my Cups. I am that cheap!
I would be interested in your opinion whenever the time comes. I assume there will be some understeer when the cords show?

speed21, thank you. The consensus appears to be Pirelli over Michelin: better in the wet, a little quieter, a little softer.

Interesting discussion for different Michelin N versions, particularly for GT2, if anyone is interested.
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...html#p20158262

Last edited by cannga; 04-18-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:27 PM
valex is on a distinguished road
how many miles street on a set of these, roughly? Just curious.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Real cups, less than 2k miles. N cups, 5-7k miles. Corsas N, ~8k miles, Hoosiers 2 good track weekends. This is from my own personal experience with 3 sets of N cups, 2 sets N corsas and at least ten sets of old school cups/ Hoo hoos.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Real cups, less than 2k miles. N cups, 5-7k miles. Corsas N, ~8k miles, Hoosiers 2 good track weekends. This is from my own personal experience with 3 sets of N cups, 2 sets N corsas and at least ten sets of old school cups/ Hoo hoos.
have you had the RE-11's on the track yet? So far, i'm loving these things.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:04 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Yes, fantastic, as good as N cosas, not quite as sharp as N cups.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 PM
BADBRUNO will become famous soon enough
Cant find Michelin PS2 for Turbo

Neither TireRack or Discount Tires has PS2 for the rear (305 30/19) What happened?

Recommendations just street only have track tires now

Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by BADBRUNO
Neither TireRack or Discount Tires has PS2 for the rear (305 30/19) What happened?

Recommendations just street only have track tires now
Have you tried Wheel Enhancement? http://www.wheelenhancement.com/