997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Change the Rear sway bar only on our 997TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:05 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
What are your settings on the sways?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:37 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by freeman
I would recommend a set of adjustable sway bars instead of just one stiffer rear sway bar simply because the car's handling characteristics depend on so many variables.

If you plan to have more suspension upgrades in the future, a set of adjustable sway bars will be much more useful,and you will be able to change that depend on your driving style, track layout, tires,alignment setting, ride height setting, and so on.

There are all kind of understeers and oversteers,and you want to be able to fine tune your suspension as a whole to get the most of it. Making your rear end too stiff compared to the front could get you snap oversteer if you are not careful.

Adjustable sways are not that much more expensive after all.
Snap oversteer is induced when there is a change in velocity through a sharp corner...either the throttle is lifted or the accelerator is punched mid-way through a corner. I do not believe sway bars will not correct instability from snap oversteer due to driver technique.

Last edited by bbywu; 04-30-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:06 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alan6888hk
Many Many THANKS to all ppl who chimed in and suggested.

I am actually already running on a set of RSS F&R sways, but still think the car little understeer (*RSS makes great products, don't get me wrong, its just my demand on driving since I always wanna make my turbo turn more like a GT3, LOL)

I will try to change back the front sway to OEM and see what's the difference. Will keep you guys updated!

again. Thx a million, everyone.
There is nothing wrong with just having stiffer rear and stock front, as many people here are doing.

But... since you already have the front RSS sway on, let me add this thought: I am not sure that the change is that drastic from softest of RSS to the stock sway! Before you go back to stock front, you might want to find out from RSS -- how much stiffer is the softest RSS front sway setting compared to stock sway. It might be the same, or very little change, for all we know.
I'll add to this later, but the relative balance between front to rear is as important as the absolute value of each bar. NeilM has RSS bars I think, and he seems very happy with them, with settings soft front, and either med or stiff (I don't remember) rear.

Second thing is, I assume you have maxed out the front camber of your car? This is another parameter that has major effect on reducing understeer.

I also assume your front tire is not over-inflated compared to rear? This could also cause understeer.

Stiffer front sway does have some advantage: reducing body roll (obviously), and also, at least with the GMG sway, make the steering tighter and the response sharper. Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by cannga; 04-30-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:35 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
What are your settings?
I too run the Damptronics and RSS F&R sways set to the middle position on both front and rear and the car feels very neutral now.

Several 6speeder's run soft front and hard rear but I haven't tried that.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Buy both bars.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Check out the Agency Power sways we make - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...97tt-2&x=0&y=0

Old 04-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alan6888hk
Many Many THANKS to all ppl who chimed in and suggested.

I am actually already running on a set of RSS F&R sways, but still think the car little understeer (*RSS makes great products, don't get me wrong, its just my demand on driving since I always wanna make my turbo turn more like a GT3, LOL)

I will try to change back the front sway to OEM and see what's the difference. Will keep you guys updated!

again. Thx a million, everyone.
The RSS bars are both 3-way adjustable. Try putting the rear bar on one of the firmer settings, and softening the front bar. You'll definitely be able to find a good combo with what you have.

What tires are you running, out of curiosity?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
freeman is on a distinguished road
Try GMG or TPC sway bars,they are suppose to be stiffer than RSS bars.
If you only need stiffer sway bars.

Last edited by freeman; 04-30-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by freeman
Try GMG or TPC sway bars,they are suppose to be stiffer than RSS bars.
Being 3 way adjustable you have more or less stiffness already built in. You should be able to find a setting that suits you.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:35 AM
freeman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bbywu
Snap oversteer is induced when there is a change in velocity through a sharp corner...either the throttle is lifted or the accelerator is punched mid-way through a corner. I do not believe sway bars will not correct instability from snap oversteer due to driver technique.
True.

What i am trying to suggest is not to "over correct" the understeer solely depend on the sway bar setting. Making rear sway bar too stiff does reduce rear end traction. The limiting factor often are the tires, so we don't necessarily need super stiff sway bars with street tires on bumpy roads that will make the car less forgiving for driver errors.

Many owners don't know what they are doing and just simply copy other people's settings which are not necessary suitable for them .

I would recommend to change things progressively rather than go straight to extreme (even the extreme value is better), because you don't want any surprise at 100mph and lose your investment. Better be safe than sorry.

That is why adjustable sways bars with fine adjustments are recommended to suit different suspension settings and driving situations.

Last edited by freeman; 04-30-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Just remember that stiffer does not always equal better. Your goal should be to find a shop that can give you the ultimate setup for what you do. GMG makes a good bar, I have seen it and felt it, plus they race and that is always a plus. I would sell you my bars but we are fresh out, we order 25 sets at a time and with a lot of them going to Grand Am teams we are out for about another month.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
Check out the Agency Power sways we make - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...97tt-2&x=0&y=0
Agency Power Sway Bar:
Front: 110 - 140 - 170 % over stock
Rear: 36 - 56 - 76 % over stock

GMG Sway Bar:
Front: 20 - 35 - 50 % over stock
Rear: 35 - 50 -65

Dan, with all due respect, if the specs for the front Agency Sway bar are as you posted, then IMHO it's not a good idea to use it. The Agency Power bar proportionally makes front stiffer than rear, defeating the very purpose of what you stated earlier in this thread: Reducing the understeer of a 4WD car.

I am enclosed the GMG settings, not because I think they are necessarily better, but so we could see a comparison.

Last edited by cannga; 04-30-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:39 PM
cooperlee will become famous soon enough
I currently have H&R springs on stock shocks. Would adding front & rear sway bars stiffin up the car in general?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by cooperlee
I currently have H&R springs on stock shocks. Would adding front & rear sway bars stiffin up the car in general?
You'll end up with less lateral body roll. That's all the 'stiffness' you'll get. But that's what most people are looking for in stiffness. Stiffer springs can pretty much do the same though as far as body roll is concerned but a cost of really hard ride. So the sways do the job and you get a softer ride from the springs.

But the sways can be used to good effect to get the car to rotate how you like. You can make the car rotate faster (oversteer, loose) or slower (understeer, push) with the sway bars.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:14 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have the Gt2 (rear only) sway bar on mine .. love it .
what setting did you use for the gt2 sway

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Change the Rear sway bar only on our 997TT?