997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Review of Cargraphic Loud exhaust & an audiophile's guide :-) to exhaust auditioning.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Guys, there'd better some chocolate coming out of this . If Chris is getting the Tubi, Tom the GMG, airjoe selling GMG... the commission possibilities are indeed endless!

We should all get together and do a exhaust swap, borrow each others for a few months.....

I'm just not sure I feel like I want to add a bit of weight to the rear so I may go with EP.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think airjoe has his eye on the tubi, I'm actually doing a Ruf.
That's exciting - very rare and seemingly loved by all owners. This is the one that I would enjoy taking a listen to.

They use 100 cpsi cat, modify muffler, and also bigger pipe/conduit no? Or pipe stays same?

Last edited by cannga; 07-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:30 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
They now use a 200 cell cat and 70mm internals.
Full report TF
C

Old 07-05-2013, 05:41 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Well, I can second RNS' s comments after I went for a ride in Can's car. While I wasn't outside, we went through a tunnel, windows down. It was scary loud! Sounded like an uncorked cup car! It would more than turn heads, it will strike fear into women and children! The exhaust is reasonably tame at modest throttle and lower rpm, but it wot it just wails. Not for the faint of heart! Was a great sound though, with a deep idle and off idle tone. Smooth and deep.
Is it ok again to post something about exhausts? Don't want to cause a sh**storm or anything like that every time I write something about exhaust sound.

Thanks ryem3. I would like to add that there are 3 bucket-list :-) items for exhaust listening:
1. Someone else drive the car with you on the sidewalk, low rpm or high rpm, this just sounds good period, for many different exhausts.
2. Tunnel testing: this is loud, simply and plainly just loud. Mainly done to get "it" out of your system, whatever "it" is. And it really comes closest to a race car that you will ever hear, with *YOU* in the car driving! Little things like these are what make this hobby so danm fun sometimes. All exhaust connoisseurs will nod knowingly if you are to mention this test - guarantee.
3. Rev car to 1300 rpm at Stop sign and hold it there and let the purr massage your whole body :-).
1 and 2 of course could be done with any exhaust, not just Cargraphic. I encourage everyone to try them, safely of course. 3 is specific to exhaust with low frequency throaty purr and besides Cargraphic, I would imagine GMG and AWE would give pretty good massages too LOL.

Also thanks to ryem3, I found the lowest price I've ever noticed for the Cargraphic Loud. 5 years ago I paid nearly $5000 for mine and could not find anyone willing to lower the unreasonable cost, now for whatever reason Vivid Racing has done it, $3850!! Here it is for anyone interested: Steal the Cargraphic Loud For a Song at Vivid Racing Website .

Last edited by cannga; 07-05-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Sh$tstorm? As long as you drink the koolade you have nothing to worry about, here have a sip.....jk

Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
They now use a 200 cell cat and 70mm internals.
Full report TF
C
BTW, it's interesting to watch what Ruf does. You have some idea of what a serious tuner thinks are important in exhaust design.

If you don't mind sharing, is a new Ruf exhaust much more expensive than the typical $5k?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 PM
List price 7995$, sent you pm.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
That is the price of a new Ti Akra instead - I believe the oem choice for the gt2rs.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 PM
True, but Ruf is a whole different world.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 AM
^^^Congrats on this very very rare exhaust. How long does it take them to do it?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by RNS
Two years in, and new impressions of my Cargraphic exhaust:

I've been enjoying this exhaust since I originally put it on, all aspects from the warm-up cycle, to idle, to acceleration, and even when lifting off the throttle. Two years in and no problems and no regrets...the sound was exactly what I was going for (all personal preference of course). And around 80% of the time when in a group drive (50+ porsches) the driver of the car behind me finds me afterwards to complement the sound and ask which exhaust is on the turbo.

But yesterday, after two years, I've been able to experience an entirely new perspective on the exhaust that blew me away . I switched cars with a good friend for about 20 miles, and we had a few clean stretches of highway where he was able to hit it wide-open-throttle in my car, as he drove by. This was the first time I've been able to witness and follow my car being driven, and the first time I've heard it blasting WOT.

WOW did it sound mean! Immediate thought in my head was "I need to own that car!". It sounded like a raw 911 race car, and was louder than I expected (likely because I'm so used to the in-car sound which is much less). Having this ruthless exhaust blast you in the face when driving in front of you WOT on the highway, made me fall for it all over again.

Regardless of exhaust brand, if you haven't experienced what your own aftermarket exhaust sounds like WOT when driving behind it, I really encourage you to do so. The sound difference between in cabin (even with windows down) and listening in a chase car behind it might blow you away too. Incredibly fun.
Ah yes the fly-by; this is why I frequently mentioned an exhaust at full blast is a bucket list item. Clear the eardrum, clear all inner aggression, clear all anger. Very Zen like .

I too think the fly-by, for sheer excitement, is number one on the list; problem is, it requires another driver to drive our baby. In case you miss this in the future, may I also suggest the tunnel test? This is number 2 on the list :-). Very simple: nice long tunnel, windows down, sunroof out, I prefer 2nd or 3rd gear, from 2000 rpm. This is as close to ALMS/Rolex GT3 as I've heard in my life LOL.

BTW, when I drove F430 and Lambo Gallardo, the inside sound is not nearly as muffled as the Turbo for a couple of reasons: the engine is right next to driver's ears, and the insulation is much less. Outside sound is *still* better even with these cars, but you do hear a lot more inside cabin, as opposed to our Turbo, which for me with the stock exhaust sounds as exciting as a mausoleum.

From outside sound vs. inside sound perspective (where inside sound of our Turbo is devoid of high and low frequency components and therefore doesn't sound nearly as nice), the Turbo has got to be one of the "worst" world-class sports cars on the market. This is only for those who want to hear more of course; if you prefer less sound inside cabin, then it's great.

Last edited by cannga; 07-14-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 AM
^^^Congrats on this very very rare exhaust. How long does it take them to do it?
You have to send them a core, takes 2-4 weeks, more TF.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 PM
FasPilot is infamous around these partsFasPilot is infamous around these partsFasPilot is infamous around these partsFasPilot is infamous around these parts
This is only for those who want to hear more of course; if you prefer less sound inside cabin, then it's great.
Like many TT owners, Can's last sentence is where I am in my life. I suspect I always was. While I savor the almost violent performance of the car which is not my DD, my personal tastes, the example I try to set for my children, my social surroundings (e.g. pulling up to a board meeting or the bag drop at my golf club), my career status, none of these jibe with having a car so loud that I have to shift at 3000 rpms to avoid bad looks in traffic as one indefatigable exhaust boaster admitted about his EP. The need to argue incessantly I have the best is an unfortunate characteristic of the Internet. It's exhibited seemingly without end in various threads on this forum about exhaust systems. I've seen it elsewhere, notably on a forum for my make aircraft, owners of twins vs owners of singles drawing those battle lines. Boasting aside, loving louder exhausts is a 100% terrific choice for those so inclined. There are just plenty of owners who don't. The exhaust note on Sport and Sport Plus settings suits us fine and demonstrates Porsche striking the correct balance.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:21 PM
The beauty of ruf, adds power, only slightly louder than stock, perfect for the doctors parking lot!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by FasPilot
Like many TT owners, Can's last sentence is where I am in my life. I suspect I always was. While I savor the almost violent performance of the car which is not my DD, my personal tastes, the example I try to set for my children, my social surroundings (e.g. pulling up to a board meeting or the bag drop at my golf club), my career status, none of these jibe with having a car so loud that I have to shift at 3000 rpms to avoid bad looks in traffic as one indefatigable exhaust boaster admitted about his ***. The need to argue incessantly I have the best is an unfortunate characteristic of the Internet. It's exhibited seemingly without end in various threads on this forum about exhaust systems. I've seen it elsewhere, notably on a forum for my make aircraft, owners of twins vs owners of singles drawing those battle lines...
All very good points and yes of course, it's a personal preference and there is no right or wrong. You just have to ask yourself, would you like to maintain grand-touring status for conversation (quiet), or would you want to sound like a GT3 with a deep throaty roar (loud). It's a trade-off and you can never have both.

The internet will always be full of arguments & exaggerations; kinda fun and doesn't bother me because I ignore poor-quality posters. I have a list of what I ignore - they are actually pretty funny, just not truthful 99% of the times:
1. Ours exhaust sounds more like a Porsche (vendor's BS, which Porsche and how?).
2. This quiet exhaust is for drivers who wear skirt (from fanatic loud exhaust owner).
3. This exhaust sounds like a truck/tractor/diesel (from fanatic quiet exhaust owner).
I have had 5 exhausts and this one sounds best, is best, works best, best reliability, best workmanship, best power, best blah blah (typical crazy internet stuffs).
I listened to exhaust A and it sounds like shiit, my exhaust nudge nudge wink wink is much better (mind already made-up, audition made solely to justify "mine is best").
While there are exceptions, 99% of the times any of the above when said would cause me to ignore poster. Look for them, it's pretty funny how often they are repeated across all forums.

Lastly socially the medium and quiet exhausts are not what the internet exaggerations seemingly have led you to believe (pardon me if I misunderstood your writing). No you won't set a bad example for your children with these exhausts! In fact even thumbs up from your son & his friends. Outside of the cold start, once warm these exhausts are not going to call attention to themselves unless you rev (the key to loudness is the gas pedal control); it's the loud race version of exhausts that could be socially intrusive regardless of pedal input. The key for me is always to look for reputable product, and ask myself, could any of these be true of the company has lasted 10 plus years?

That said, I am not an exhaust company shill (although I have to say 3850 from Vivid Racing for the Cargraphic is an absolute steal :-); I paid 5000 4 years ago), and am not here to change or impose on anyone's taste. Simply the message is this: I have a blast with mine, and here are the reasons; take a listen for yourself, you may hate it, or you may be in for a big surprise.

Last edited by cannga; 07-14-2013 at 03:21 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Review of Cargraphic Loud exhaust & an audiophile's guide :-) to exhaust auditioning.