997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Clear bra recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bbywu
When I last checked, XPel did not have the length to fit the entire hood in once piece. Is that not the case?

- bob
We have film widths up to 60 inches. The Porsche will only need 54.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Received a response from the body shop regarding the 30 day wait.

Q:From what I understand, clear bras should NOT be applied for at least 30 days after a fresh paint. What do your installers have to say about this?

A: I regularly have film installed a couple days after painting. We have an advantage in that we use Porsche’s – Water Based Paint. When it is pulled out of the booth – you can do almost anything you want to it.

Thoughts on this??

Old 05-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
If they will guarantee it, you are in business. Otherwise I would wait a bit.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:52 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
What exactly is the concern with applying a bra before the paint cures?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor
If the paint is still outgassing, putting film over the top of it will seal in the solvents that are still present in the fresh paint. This can cause paint lifting and sometimes discoloration. It is also not particularly good for the paint protection film, since the solvents usually contain Xylene and/or Toluene which are very harmful to polyurethane film.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Has anyone here ever removed a clear bra from a repainted car?

Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM
caly is on a distinguished road
thx for the tips yall plan to get my clear bra done

Old 05-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Getting a new bumper installed and will be getting it sanded and repainted. Will then need to clear bra it or it'll look like crap by the time I get it out of the shop.
Wish Premier had a satellite in Phoenix, but since they don't, I have to go with what's available here.

The body shop uses 3M film. Any big problems with this brand as opposed to Venture, Llumar, etc.? Are there different types of 3M film or is there just one 3M PPF? Spending a crap load on this, so I want to be sure to get it right the first time. Thanks.
Both 3M and Venture would be a good way to go. Venture would require more maintenance than 3M, but the product is clearer. Most importantly the installer. Be sure to find someone with references and take a look at the finished product. Oh, and do not forget about waiting 30 days for the paint to cure. Good luck!

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 05-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Premier Films
Both 3M and Venture would be a good way to go. Venture would require more maintenance than 3M, but the product is clearer. Most importantly the installer. Be sure to find someone with references and take a look at the finished product. Oh, and do not forget about waiting 30 days for the paint to cure. Good luck!
Thanks for the input!
As for the 30 day wait. What do your customers typically do that just geta respray. A LOT of damage can occur in a month. Fortunately, this is not my DD, but I would like to drive it a few times and not let it sit for an entire month. Short of 'smurfing' it up with painter's tape, is there anything else I can do to protect the front end until the paint cures?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:35 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Has anyone here ever removed a clear bra from a repainted car?
Yup. Took the paint right off with it... Had to repaint it again. This time I made sure we gave it plenty of time to cure and made sure we used a lot of promoter with the paint to make it stick to the bumper better. Haven't tried removing it since, so we shall see when it's time to re-apply the clear bra.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Thanks for the input!
As for the 30 day wait. What do your customers typically do that just geta respray. A LOT of damage can occur in a month. Fortunately, this is not my DD, but I would like to drive it a few times and not let it sit for an entire month. Short of 'smurfing' it up with painter's tape, is there anything else I can do to protect the front end until the paint cures?
Aftermarket paint can be quite soft immediately after it leaves the shop. It is always recommended to minimize freeway driving...if that is not an option, then be careful not to get too close to vehicles ahead. Or one other option as you've mentioned is to tape up the front end, but that can be quite noticeable and bothersome. Some of our clients just leave the car outdoors to allow the painted portions to see as much sunlight as possible.

As for aftermarket paint, it is a hit or miss, when it comes to having the paint come up with the film. What is most important here is the quality of the paint work. The entire process of painting is crucial here as any missteps here can equate to paint coming off with the film. That is why we recommend all of our clients looking at repainting their car to source out a quality / high-end bodyshop. We work closely with several here in the Bay Area and very often, we can apply the film within one week. As Xpel mentioned earlier, if the bodyshop stands by their paint work, then you can go on their recommended cure period....especially if it is under 30 days.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 05-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Noble57 can only hope to improve
Instead of taping up the front, this stuff works well. I used it over my bra at the track and on a trip. Works great. Also works if you don't have a clear bra.

Last edited by Noble57; 11-25-2010 at 08:57 PM.