997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Ice Blue Metalic paint for your Turbo S.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:09 PM
wyo997 is infamous around these partswyo997 is infamous around these parts
Last night I met an oil executive in Laramie who's now based in Paris and he was sure that IBM is not only available across Europe, but is being held-back from the American market to make it more exclusive to European and Russian buyers! I'd believe this: I know one Ferrari dealer that in 2009 had its entire allotment of scheduled 430 builds for the season diverted to China. America is becoming like post war UK as far as globalization is concerned. Get used to being second class. You notice there still is no U.S. Grand Prix. Formula One and its sponsors couldn't care less.

To try and "be nice" to Porsche: Right, "the only thing I can imagine" is that there is a paint formulation and environmental issue at stake. It happened to Ferrari with a metallic red they were showing on the 599 during pre-order (around 2007 or 2008, whenever it came out). Ferrari couldn't deliver that red for months because the paint wasn't stable. If an excuse like that is NOT the issue, then I don't have much respect for Porsche, showing Ice Blue Metallic in photos of the Turbo S for almost a year (ever since a photo shoot in Norway last summer) and not being able to deliver the color (along with the exquisite 2-tone interior) until five months after product launch in the US is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen any company do! Not only was IBM not available when I finalized my order in February (for a May 26 build) but neither were the RS wheels! So, instead of waiting for an August/ September 2010 build with what I wanted (I always liked the Turbo II wheels better and they're 500g lighter in a set/4) I bought Arctic Silver and got the car July 1- rather than sit on a brand new car all winter long and drive it in 2011. The Arctic Silver color is not available for Turbo S after July. Gee, I feel exclusive. It's beautiful too!
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ed-driven.html

Last edited by wyo997; 08-08-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mhh
A US dealer on another site says the IBM has been delayed another year. I hope that's not right.

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/997-...-ice-blue.html

I sure hope this is wrong. That maybe my last straw. Will have to switch to F458.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:59 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Gj325
I sure hope this is wrong. That maybe my last straw. Will have to switch to F458.
Don't change brands based on color... change colors! If the Ice blue is played out, (or not being made) do a paint to sample color. I think that's very exciting. You could literally have one of only one.

There's probably some issue they're having right now, who know's what... but it's not because they enjoy pissing people off. Give em a break.

Get your F458 in one of 3 colors?

Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 AM
mhh
mhh is infamous around these partsmhh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Give em a break.
I don't think Porsche deserve a break on this. They used a new color to build interest in the S and then let people down after taking deposits. I ordered IBM and thought I was getting it for a month, and then got told of the delay. Porsche redeemed themselves only slightly by offering a special color (GT Silver in my case) at no cost - even this gesture was a sign that they had done the wrong thing. Seeing a VW today in what is apparently virtually the same color was a reminder.

As it happens, I'm now happy with what I'm getting - and that it will be here soon - but I'm pissed off for the guys who decided to wait for the color they were sold.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:31 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mhh
I don't think Porsche deserve a break on this. They used a new color to build interest in the S and then let people down after taking deposits. I ordered IBM and thought I was getting it for a month, and then got told of the delay. Porsche redeemed themselves only slightly by offering a special color (GT Silver in my case) at no cost - even this gesture was a sign that they had done the wrong thing. Seeing a VW today in what is apparently virtually the same color was a reminder.

As it happens, I'm now happy with what I'm getting - and that it will be here soon - but I'm pissed off for the guys who decided to wait for the color they were sold.
But is it worth buying a Ferrari over? I mean... I can't imagine Porsche is doing it on purpose.. obviously they're having some sort of issue.

So quickly people are willing to jump brands over what I consider a simple mishap... marketing didn't talk to production... who knows.

I agree it's an f-up... but I'd rather have something like this vs something that could endanger my life.

The color is amazing... those who end up taking delivery after all the BS will enjoy their cars. Your special GT Silver is probably amazing as well... and rare. I'd feel pretty good about it.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
We produced our Door and Bumper Plugs in this color recently, after having the code for about a year. My post (cross referenced above) on the other board gives you a hint of what it looks like. From 20' it's a dead ringer for VW Speed Blue. Up close it's a bit deeper blue, but only a bit.

Stunning color. Hope they roll it out soon. But Porsche's decision process on color is impossible to understand (there are many other new colors that we have the codes for, but which have not been released or discussed anywhere).

Time will tell.....

Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Don't change brands based on color... change colors! If the Ice blue is played out, (or not being made) do a paint to sample color. I think that's very exciting. You could literally have one of only one.

There's probably some issue they're having right now, who know's what... but it's not because they enjoy pissing people off. Give em a break.

Get your F458 in one of 3 colors?
Hoping IBM comes thru waited too long to switch to any other color.
F Car dealer too far away just blowing steam.I Like Ruby Red but may have to go PTM.

Gets to be a longer wait when every month there is another delay. The way it is going they may quit making them before I get mine.