997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

More effective: mod VGT exducer or inducer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:12 PM
fastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Webtool1
I've been out of the loop here for months and need to catch up. Who has the turbo mod that minimizes lag, has huge power gains and is offering a great price deal to boot. I guess I need IC's too?
that's what im trying to find too, the Holy Grail

Old 08-22-2010, 03:18 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
From 6speedonline list :-

6.55 - Acicchelli / 997TT AWD TIP <-Fastest tip car ( on racegas ) by Switzer

6.60 - Adam Bowles / AWD / 1-shift
6.66 - 996ttalot / AWD / Tiptronic
6.69 - Shotcaller / 997TT AWD/ 1-shift <-- Fastest 6peed car ( on pumpgas ) by Protomotive
Thanks. Looks like the next fastest time to yours for a 997TT 6speed with vtgs is Eclou at 6.99.

6.69 - Shotcaller / 997TT AWD / 1-shift
6.99 - Eclou / 997TT AWD / 1-shift
7.18 - Madsex323 / 997TT AWD / 1-shift
7.32 - TTdude / 997TT AWD / 0-shifts

Don't know what all the other upgrades are, fuel, conditions, etc...(too lazy to search for them all).

Old 08-22-2010, 07:49 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
If I'm not mistaken, the TPC turbos offer the most power for a vtg turbo upgrade. I could be wrong though.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 PM
fastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by The Bogg
If I'm not mistaken, the TPC turbos offer the most power for a vtg turbo upgrade. I could be wrong though.
do TPC and Protomotive sell the same ones?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:34 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fastlaw
do TPC and Protomotive sell the same ones?
I think yes

Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Former Vendor
Louis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud of
There are other advantages to clipping the turbine. With VTG, you can very quickly run out of vane frequency range. When you make big power, but want the VTG to still reliably control boost and follow the requested target, clipping is a way to achieve this. There are other VTG mods that are done to the turbine, but as others have pointed out, we as well as other tuners keep this information propriatary.

Champion also offers the Billet compressor housing which matches the increased flow of the larger compressor wheel to a resized housing. Something that cannot be done without compromise on a machined cast OEM housing.

Don't get me wrong, we have enjoyed astounding results out of machined out standard cast housings with unmodified turbines.. But as time and development has progressed, we have moved forward and produced better results.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Webtool1 is infamous around these partsWebtool1 is infamous around these parts
My priority would be reduced lag over ultimate power. I'm guessing the larger IC's while ultimately necessary for best power gains, slightly increase lag.
Anyone care to comment on overall drive-ability with these mods?
Thanks, Bob

Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
I have Champion Gen 1 VTG turbo which do not have the clipped turbine.

With Protomotive tune the lag is reduced from OEM VTG turbo, boost comes on
earlier/stronger in RPM range.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor
Louis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud ofLouis@Champion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
I have Champion Gen 1 VTG turbo which do not have the clipped turbine.

With Protomotive tune the lag is reduced from OEM VTG turbo, boost comes on
earlier/stronger in RPM range.
What you have right there is a lot of value for your money. We have successfully delivered many of these conversions, and the results are serious !!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
fastlaw

Champion has a promo on the Gen 1 VTG now for $1300 under the vendors thread.

That is an amazing price these used to be $4500 a year ago other vendors still charge that for them

Last edited by venkatreddytx; 08-28-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:57 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
this is my office carpet !!!!

Originally Posted by bbywu
On another note, several tuners have billet wheels that have significantly larger inducer/exducer diameters compared to the GT2, producing massive power. However, the A/R (area/radius) ratio is still limited on the turbine housing side. This is still the rate limiting step to big power on the VTGs.

Turbine housing 997TT v GT2

The A/R on the turbine housing has a greater impact on velocity and flow of exhaust gases (ie a smaller A/R will increase the exhaust gas velocity into the turbine wheel, resulting in a quicker boost rise but with a reduced flow capacity...conversely, bigger A/R = more flow at the expense of more lag and larger boost threshold.)

I do not believe GT2 turbine housing and wheels are available separately. If they were, you could assemble (for a significantly lower cost) a larger turbine housing - hence improved A/R ratio on the turbine side - and produce a turbocharger that had significantly greater flow capacity...which is why the GT2 turbos are still very desirable for big power...but it comes at a financial price as well as greater lag.

So to the OP...it's not a simple matter comparing inducer/exducers. Most tuners here are changing the compressor wheel (altering the inducer and exducer sizes) and clipping the turbine wheel to improve outflow to the exhaust. By keeping the turbine housing smaller (ie 997TT size) you improve boost response but limit maximum flow. If you modify a GT2 turbo (which has a larger turbine housing) you potentially get improved flow and power, but may sacrifice boost response.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
this is my office carpet !!!!

And a very nice carpet it is!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:37 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
so who can deliver best VTG turbo modification, any datas?

here from unknown german tuner:

- "Extended Tip" Verdichterrad
- neuste Verdichterradgeometrie
- Verdichtereintritt (Gehäuse): 49,2mm
- Verdichterradeintritt (Rad): 48,5mm
- Verdichteraustritt (Rad): 63mm
Das Verdichterrad ist eine Sonderanfertigung, einzigartig in ihrer Form, Geometrie und Größe.

- 5-Achs CNC geänderte Verdichtergehäuse & Rückwände um die optimale Strömung im Ansaug- und Austrittsbereich zu erzielen

- Spaltmaßoptimierung

- verstärktes Axiallager

- Einzelteil- Feinwuchtung, sowie Rumpfgruppen- Feinwuchtung

Old 08-28-2010, 02:56 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi Louis, what is vane frequency range please? TIA.
BTW I always enjoy reading your posts for the information provided.

Originally Posted by Louis@Champion
There are other advantages to clipping the turbine. With VTG, you can very quickly run out of vane frequency range. When you make big power, but want the VTG to still reliably control boost and follow the requested target, clipping is a way to achieve this. There are other VTG mods that are done to the turbine, but as others have pointed out, we as well as other tuners keep this information propriatary.

Champion also offers the Billet compressor housing which matches the increased flow of the larger compressor wheel to a resized housing. Something that cannot be done without compromise on a machined cast OEM housing.

Don't get me wrong, we have enjoyed astounding results out of machined out standard cast housings with unmodified turbines.. But as time and development has progressed, we have moved forward and produced better results.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:00 PM
so who can deliver biggest vtg's?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More effective: mod VGT exducer or inducer?