997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

911TT Rear Child Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:20 PM
higb987 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
it is not that easy, it is how strong the spine are, and it need to develop further.

Sweden has recommendations for parents (based on science) and it is being updated continuously. They acctually change the recommendations from 4 to 5y for traveling backwards. The fact that it get's uncomfortable with the legs are deemed unimportant compared to safety in case of an accident.

But the Op had a 3y so there isnt any question however the child should be turned around in the car.
A well intended suggestion from you i'm sure, but really outside the scope of the application we are talking about. Simply put, a rear-facing seat for anything but an infant in our vehicles will not work.

I'm sure the Swedish scientists are decent at what they do, but I can point you to current studies that provide evidence that children are 30-40% more likely to survive a car accident when they are in the back seat as opposed to the front seat-- So as a parent of a larger 3yo --(who wants to keep his legs intact) in the back seat he goes in his forward facing seat. It's not a matter of comfort, it's a matter of what actually works.

Name:  IMG_7831.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  83.6 KB

Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Zero Cool has a spectacular aura aboutZero Cool has a spectacular aura aboutZero Cool has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
it is not that easy, it is how strong the spine are, and it need to develop further.

Sweden has recommendations for parents (based on science) and it is being updated continuously. They acctually change the recommendations from 4 to 5y for traveling backwards. The fact that it get's uncomfortable with the legs are deemed unimportant compared to safety in case of an accident.

But the Op had a 3y so there isnt any question however the child should be turned around in the car.
Well in the U.S. the recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics (also based on science) is the following:

"The AAP advises parents to keep their toddlers in rear-facing car seats until age 2, or until they reach the maximum height and weight for their seat."

They went on to say...“The ‘age 2’ recommendation is not a deadline, but rather a guideline to help parents decide when to make the transition,” Dr. Durbin said. “Smaller children will benefit from remaining rear-facing longer, while other children may reach the maximum height or weight before 2 years of age.”

So at least here in the US, it is more based on height/weight

Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 AM
Frizz is on a distinguished road
Hello Guys,

i`ve been searching for a while until I found a seat which is just right!

Kiddy Guardian Pro is perfect for the rear seats. My daughter loves it. It has the same design like the Porsche seat. I guess it should be the other way around: Porsche adopted the design. And, it`s half of the price.

Kiddy is a german built seat, which wins all crash tests year by year, so the safest you can buy.

Here a picture:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Frizz; 10-31-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:41 AM
voodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to beholdvoodoojar is a splendid one to behold
Graco comfortsport will fit exactly perfect rear facing in the back seat. I did remove the seats when I switched to front facing to make a bit more room.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 AM
DOOBEE will become famous soon enoughDOOBEE will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by voodoojar
Graco comfortsport will fit exactly perfect rear facing in the back seat. I did remove the seats when I switched to front facing to make a bit more room.
Any pics? My little girl would live to ride in my car and my wife has been hounding me to find a solution.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 PM
vinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by voodoojar
Thank you for the info. Can you post a pic of it installed if possible?

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by higb987
A well intended suggestion from you i'm sure, but really outside the scope of the application we are talking about. Simply put, a rear-facing seat for anything but an infant in our vehicles will not work.

I'm sure the Swedish scientists are decent at what they do, but I can point you to current studies that provide evidence that children are 30-40% more likely to survive a car accident when they are in the back seat as opposed to the front seat-- So as a parent of a larger 3yo --(who wants to keep his legs intact) in the back seat he goes in his forward facing seat. It's not a matter of comfort, it's a matter of what actually works.

Agree rear seat is safer not sure if its true for our p-cars though since engine is in the back. But I assume for most head on collisions having the little ones in the back is preferable.

I assume most of us have an alternative car for kid transports and we just rather drive the p-car to daycare and school

http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/ba...gt_8086940.svd

(assume google translate can help)

Sorry about the language in the link but its basically latest findings regarding kids in car seat. In Sweden ppl start putting kids in forward facing seats around age of 4y and they are more likely to get hurt in accidents then 3y olds traveling backwards.

NTF (national traffic safety advisory in Sweden) says traveling in a proper backwards facing chair is 5 times safer for the 4y old kids.

I would love to have a child seat in the back for my 4y so I dont have to drive the horrible Santa Fe to daycare

Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zero Cool
Well in the U.S. the recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics (also based on science) is the following:

"The AAP advises parents to keep their toddlers in rear-facing car seats until age 2, or until they reach the maximum height and weight for their seat."

They went on to say...“The ‘age 2’ recommendation is not a deadline, but rather a guideline to help parents decide when to make the transition,” Dr. Durbin said. “Smaller children will benefit from remaining rear-facing longer, while other children may reach the maximum height or weight before 2 years of age.”

So at least here in the US, it is more based on height/weight
Well Sweden is/has been the leading car-safatey country for quite some time

Recommendations here is rear facing seats until 4-5y due to statistics in actual accidents. But in a p-car it is hard to have a rear-mounted rear facing seat, I am hoping to find a iso-fix mountable rear facing seat for my front passenger seats. There is no cahnce as I see it for a proper rear facing seat in the back, its too cramped...