6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Mezger vs Newer (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/221803-mezger-vs-newer.html)

96redLT4 08-29-2010 04:39 PM

Mezger vs Newer

Does anyone have any info on the durability, reliability etc of the classic Mezger turbo block vs the newer DFI 3.8 L. Is the latter just too new for any reasonable comparison? I would think P would test/ and run these pretty hard before signing off on them. I am not really interested in which could be more easily modified, but which is better from the factory.
Jim

k_ddsl 08-29-2010 05:45 PM

Hey Jim,

I asked the Training Manager at the dealership here in Kuwait about this specifically and here is what he said in general:
1- The two engines have the same basic engine block
2- The two engines' components are built from the same materials, alloys, etc...
3- The oiling system of the DFI engine is claimed to be more efficient than the 3.6L engine in that oil is micro-sprayed on top of the pistons which is claimed to greatly enhance lubrication.
4- The two engines will handle the same type of abuse, etc...
5- Compression ratio on the new engine is higher while boost on the new turbo is lower.

By and large, he said that the new engine should be at least as good as the old one in terms of reliability and longevity, etc...

Hope this helps,

Karim

imcarnuts 08-29-2010 05:50 PM

If the new engine is as good or better then why is it not being used in any of the GT models? Not trying to be controversial but seriously want to know. Also why have the tuners not gone ahead with high HP kits for the new engine?

k_ddsl 08-29-2010 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by imcarnuts (Post 2960133)
If the new engine is as good or better then why is it not being used in any of the GT models? Not trying to be controversial but seriously want to know. Also why have the tuners not gone ahead with high HP kits for the new engine?

Engine is still very new for tuners to already explore its limits.

Cannot answer the first question though.

I am not taking sides on which engine is better.

I am merely relaying the information given to me.

Cheers

bbywu 08-29-2010 06:46 PM

Karim, unfortunately, I believe your training manager is incorrect. Ask him what exactly is shared...with the exception for a few bolts, the two engines share no part numbers. Crankshaft. Connecting rods. Pistons. Cylinder housing. Valve drive. Tappets. Oil supply design. Camshaft bearing design. All different.

k_ddsl 08-29-2010 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by bbywu (Post 2960195)
Karim, unfortunately, please ask your training manager exactly what is shared between the two engines.

I think he will find it difficult to explain how two engines with no shared parts have "the same basic block."

There are no shared part numbers. Crankshaft. Connecting rods. Pistons. Cylinder housing. Valve drive. Tappets. Oil supply design. Camshaft bearing design. All different.

Unfortunately, the man is out of town until the 4th.
When he gets back, I will relay your question and comments and revert back to you with his answer.

This is about to get interesting: Bob with his encyclopaedic P car knowledge and the Kuwait P dealership Training Manager... :D

96redLT4 08-29-2010 07:55 PM

Hi. I would like to know as well. I had heard from someone who sounded quite knowledgeable, I think named Cam on a different thread that the Mezger engines cost a great deal more to make and are widely regarded as the best/strongest that P made, which may make the 08-09s a great value relative to the price of the new ones. I would think this would be a big issue on this forum.
Jim

TT Gasman 08-29-2010 08:43 PM

Yes the GT1 engine costs about twice as much as the wet sump DFI, that should tell you something. The tech is dead wrong, the two engines share nothing other than both being a flat 6 design, they couldn't be more different.

bbywu 08-29-2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 96redLT4 (Post 2960275)
Hi. I would like to know as well. I had heard from someone who sounded quite knowledgeable, I think named Cam on a different thread that the Mezger engines cost a great deal more to make and are widely regarded as the best/strongest that P made, which may make the 08-09s a great value relative to the price of the new ones. I would think this would be a big issue on this forum.
Jim

That would be cannga. :)

bonehead 08-29-2010 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 96redLT4 (Post 2960275)
Jim

'07's have the same engine....just sayin'....;)

TTdude 08-29-2010 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by k_ddsl (Post 2960206)
This is about to get interesting: Bob with his encyclopaedic P car knowledge and the Kuwait P dealership Training Manager... :D

No contest hilarious

TT Surgeon 08-29-2010 10:43 PM

One engine they race, the other they don't.

cannga 08-29-2010 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by k_ddsl http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...s/viewpost.gif

Originally Posted by TTdude (Post 2960368)
No contest hilarious

:D :D Bada... boom! Too funny and thanks for the good laugh.

skandalis447 08-30-2010 03:06 AM

There is simply no comparison between mezger and 3,8lt engines...Neither from outside nor from inside view...As for durability...just forget it...when tuning begins internal parts of the new engine are way too weak for increased torque and hp...
However new car with flash and exhaust is extremely fast and has no problem in handling hp/lbft...above these levels internal modification is required...Keep in mind that raised compression ratio (due to dfi) is good for a stock engine giving more torque at low rpm byt is bad for bigger turbos where lower cr is needed...
Porsche again created an exceptional car with no contester in 500hp range...But for high hp tuning...major changes are needed...

TXTurbo 08-30-2010 04:19 AM

Has anyone blown up the new "weaker" 3.8?

hilarious