997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Front Differential Fluid Leak Again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Message Removed

Message Removed

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 07-02-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Sounds like the front shaft seals are leaking. That means the carrier race bearings have lost correct adjustment allowing movement of the shafts in the seals. Replace front diff.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:26 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I have to concur with my friend from down under. Surprised that got past the ppi.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have a friend who had a front differential leak on an 07 C4S when he bought it new . He told me that they replaced the entire front differential . His car had less than 300 miles on it if I recall correctly. He didn't keep the car long (traded for a Turbo) but said he never had the problem again after it was repaired .

In short .. it can be fixed.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
Thanks for the comments. When I wrote "drip", I should have been more clear. After a week of sitting in my garage, there are 3 drops on the floor.

What I really want to know is if it is relatively simple to remove the car's plastic underbody. Any comments on that?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
If you've got a hoist and a set of torx its no big deal. 3 drops of oil on the floor is 3 drops too many. The front diff holds very little oil. You really need a hoist so you can have a proper look around the seals as the light color of the oil makes it very difficult to see where its actually coming from. The other thing you should look at first is the clutch master cylinder. It may well be overflowing causing the drip. To access, pop the hood and remove battery cover. To remove the adjoining vented cover you will need to pull/pop up the long plastic strip running along the outer side of the hood seal...to release the vented cover. It sits on a bit of velcro. I'd check the clutch master first.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I found my clutch master a little damp....

Old 03-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I found my clutch master a little damp....
Really? I thought you'd had yours replaced? Is it overfull?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
No, never replaced
Looks like it leaked, top Is loose, barely tightens

Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 AM
It looks like a little plastic jar.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
Ahh! Well I did see that and recognized it as related to the clutch by the "pentosin" text. No leaks there. Clean and dry around it.
I assume you checked the pentosin level is not higher than the max level marker on the plastic reservoir? If the level is fine then its back to the front diff.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Mine was overflowing, I assume it's the clutch accumulator.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Mine was overflowing, I assume it's the clutch accumulator.
Thats a pity although they are very common to fail. Your assumption is correct...the clutch slave and accumulator. Both need to be done at the same time and make sure whatever they fit is of 09 manufacture or later. The dates are on the boxes. Its the earlier pre 09 parts they had an issue with. When they did mine they just did the accumulator first and then had the car back a week later to do the slave....a bit inconvenient. Typical warranty dept looking to save time and money.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Felt the clutch pedal going gritty, popped the hood and the clutch reservoir was starting to overflow. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the slave only not the accumulator, asked and was told accumulator was fine. This was done under warranty.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
What a great catch. The simplest thing -- the devil really is in the details. THAT shop earned some repeat business! It's great to have someone you can trust. GLAD that you got this fixed with the least amount of expense & hassle.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 PM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by speed21
Thats a pity although they are very common to fail. Your assumption is correct...the clutch slave and accumulator. Both need to be done at the same time and make sure whatever they fit is of 09 manufacture or later. The dates are on the boxes. Its the earlier pre 09 parts they had an issue with. When they did mine they just did the accumulator first and then had the car back a week later to do the slave....a bit inconvenient. Typical warranty dept looking to save time and money.

Exact same thing happened to my 2007 TT. I have had quite a few clutch issues with the car. Finally, at around 22k miles Porsche deceided to completely replace the entire clutch (which was only 20% worn) and they covered it at no cost to me. They told me they used newer updated parts and now it feels fine. The only issue is the smell eminating from the car if you ride the clutch even slightly. Thats not hard going up and down the hills of SF. The original clutch never smelled but that didn't do me any good with all the issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front Differential Fluid Leak Again