997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo - can blinkers be made into running lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
997 Turbo - can blinkers be made into running lights?

I know this is a crazy thought and I hope I am not the only one that has had it, but, is there a way (easy way?) to make the LED amber turning signals up front, made into running lights?

So, basically have them on at all times, yet when the turn signal is activated, that they simply flash like a normal signal?

With as many newer cars having the LED running lights, I thought this would be interesting as some cars have amber running lights, but I have yet to see a car with amber LED running lights.

Be nice please...this is just a thought. I am not very good with electronics (have fried a few things in the past) so I am just wondering if there would be a way to make this happen...

Thanks!!

Last edited by TAILWAG; 03-26-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added a couple of things...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Come on guys...I didn't think this idea was that far fetched...?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Yes they can. I think GMP sells a kit from SpeedArt that does it.

A customer of ours installed them on his 997 Turbo...looked pretty cool actually.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Yes they can. I think GMP sells a kit from SpeedArt that does it.

A customer of ours installed them on his 997 Turbo...looked pretty cool actually.
I just saw the kit they offer online - thanks.

This has the LEDs in white and it changes them to amber/yellow as soon as blinkers are activated - This involves having them to open the housings and replace all the LEDs and probably add some sort of resistor to them. This sounds super complicated, hence the hefty charge.

I was thinking it would be easier if there was a way that the running lights would be kept amber...and then simply would flash once the signal is activated, therefore "hopefully" not require the housings to be messed up with.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen several members brave enough to have their local shop open the housing to do their own conversion. I am starting to like your idea of running amber color DRL since it wouldn't involve extensive modificaitons to the housing. Perhpas someone who knows Durametric can program these turn lights to stay on all times as do the city lights? OR perhaps, splice wires with city light so that it stays on when they are on...