997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Software options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 AM
valex is on a distinguished road
Software options

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I think it gets derailed every time.

I have an 08 997tt (997.1) WITH a tubi exhaust.

I'd like a 'tune'. I realize that the 'best' tune would be sticking it on a dyno, adjusting per my car, yada yada, I get that. But I'm just looking for a 'bang for the buck' little performance mod. What's the best option? Softronic? Does packaged software account for modifications such as exhaust? (Or will it even matter...)

Help me out here guys, and lets try to keep it simple.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:30 AM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
I honestly would go with Evo or Proto...I know Evo holds the record for 1/4 mile time for 997tt with a tip, tune and exhaust....Car ran in the 10sec range...

Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 AM
valex is on a distinguished road
does evoms require me to go to an installation center? I'm not really close to one. (Michigan)

Old 03-26-2011, 09:43 AM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by valex
does evoms require me to go to an installation center? I'm not really close to one. (Michigan)
Yes or you would have to send in your ECU...

Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
It's super easy to remove the ecu and we have folks send them into us all the time:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...2-and-gt3.html

Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
It sounds like you want to just keep it simple and not drill down into the minucia of how one tune might be better than the other. The tunes will account for your exhaust. There are basically two methods of installing a tune--bench flash or OBDII flash. With bench flash you remove the ECU (easy DIY). The other, you hook your computer into the OBDII port and upload the tune file (also easy DIY). The advantage of the latter allows you to easily switch back and forth between stock and flashed tunes without having to remove your ECU each time. That said, convenience is just one consideration. Customer support, future development, etc...are more important factors, imo, and should all be considered when going down the road of mods.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
OBD port flashing carries some risks if you do not do it correctly - any interruption in the flashing can brick your ECU. Antivirus software, screen savers, background programs need to be turned off. No internet disruptions, power supply to the vehicle and the computer, etc.

If you brick your ECU, you'll need to send it to the tuner to bench flash.

bob

Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
OBD port flashing carries some risks if you do not do it correctly - any interruption in the flashing can brick your ECU. Antivirus software, screen savers, background programs need to be turned off. No internet disruptions, power supply to the vehicle and the computer, etc.

If you brick your ECU, you'll need to send it to the tuner to bench flash.

bob
Good point. If you brick your ECU (and it has happened to several folks), you will be sending it in. It also may depend on your operating system too. I'm using Windows XP with antivirus software running and so far, no problems. I don't think internet is an issue as long as you have the intact file safely loaded on your computer since it's just a direct upload from your computer to the ECU. Power interruptions is a definite problem.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:38 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Good point. If you brick your ECU (and it has happened to several folks), you will be sending it in. It also may depend on your operating system too. I'm using Windows XP with antivirus software running and so far, no problems. I don't think internet is an issue as long as you have the intact file safely loaded on your computer since it's just a direct upload from your computer to the ECU. Power interruptions is a definite problem.
Exactly...shouldn't be any different than flashing the BIOS on your motherboard, or camera, or any electronics. No interruptions and you should be fine. But again, something to consider.

bob

Old 03-26-2011, 01:07 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
cant go wrong with all the common flashes owners have installed but I would highly suggest mailing it in for a quick turnaround.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Roadie will become famous soon enoughRoadie will become famous soon enough
Isn't there a huge advantage to the modifications that allow one to change their tune without taking the ECU out of the car?
I see the valet program and the 91, 93, 100 octane programs as a real benefit. When I do this to my car I am leaning to a solution that can provide this feature. Is there any reason not to go that way???

Old 03-26-2011, 05:49 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I never valet and they dont need to speed to do damage anyways.

91,93 programs not a necessity with EVOMS, takes advantage of whatevers in the tank higher than pump.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:23 PM
simbame is on a distinguished road
Call Austin at GIAC, he can answer all your questions. Helped me with my decision and I never looked back!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Roadie
Isn't there a huge advantage to the modifications that allow one to change their tune without taking the ECU out of the car?
I see the valet program and the 91, 93, 100 octane programs as a real benefit. When I do this to my car I am leaning to a solution that can provide this feature. Is there any reason not to go that way???
The Bosch Motronic is able to select/run certain ignition maps based upon a whole bunch of parameters like temps, gas etc... and adjusts. All the switcher does (which btw has no memory inside) is force it to run higher, lower boost/timing maps... Might as well let the ECU decide instead of forcing the issue. If you want a real 91 and an additional 100 tune you'd need to do two real ECU's.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Even if you send an ecu in by courier you're going to be unable to drive your car for at least a couple of days. I prefer the obdII programming and it gets you a durametric cable too so you can learn things about your car and reset some cels. I've never turned off antivirus etc... and have had no problems but as always ymmv

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Software options