997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Own 997.1 TT- Thoughts on 997.2 TT or 997.2 TT S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Own 997.1 TT- Thoughts on 997.2 TT or 997.2 TT S

I have had a 997.1 TT since Jan of 2008 and I have the opportunity to get either a 2011 non S or a 2011 S- the pricing is completely different and I know the S beats its weaker brother in performance. So I pose my question(s) with the following information.

My current turbo is modded (medium Id say and its a Tip) with:

Exhaust
Headers
82mm TB
Plenum
Y pipe
ECU
and a few other minor tweaks

So its not slow but would it would hold a candle to either of these cars? If I went with the Non S are there simple ECU update(s) that will get me to the S level of performance?

The non S (White on Black) is stickered at 149k with the following options:

840 - PDK 3-SpokeSportSW w/ShftPdls
686 - XM© Radio
640 - SportChrPkgTurbo-w/DynEngMount
603 - Dynamic Cornering Light
220 - Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
342 - Heated Seats - Front
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
541 - Seat Ventilation Front

The S (GT Silver on black) has not arrived yet and I dont have the sticker but have to guess low to mid 170's with the following:

XAF - Aerokit Turbo
XDA - Wheels Painted in Black
P77 - Leather Sport Seats
XXG - Rear Lights in Clear Glass
342 - Heated Seats - Front
XMP - Sun Visors in Leather
686 - XM© Radio
XSC - Porsche Crest on Headrests

So I could keep my current 997 although it has older technology and a 5 speed slushbox or get the non S and negotiate the price down and do an ECU mod or get the S (not sure if they will deal). Pricing is not a huge factor but is the S worth that much more money? I wont be tracking the car.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:55 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
At this stage in the game I would consider waiting for the next Turbo and enjoy your 07 a few more years.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:57 PM
M5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura aboutM5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura about
ECU flash should definitely get you S levels of performance. The S seems like it should cost under $170 if it is a coupe, and will have the ceramic brakes which are an expensive option, and will be a little more exclusive.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the quick responses... I was guessing on the S because it has the aero kit and its definitely a coupe...

Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
M5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura aboutM5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, you're right looking again. My bad, the aerokit adds more than I thought.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I'd go for the "S" Vic, PCCB is a plus, aero kit is nice and it holds its value better too.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
Try driving the new car, either way it's a much nicer car. I went from an 09 TT cab to a new coupe, wanted the 6 speed, so went the non s route but IMO a much nicer car.
Big improvement, plus you could be dead or to sick to drive in a year so why wait.
Drive one, you'll want one!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
A non-s turbo has the same power potential as a tuned S.
You can bring it up to 600hp just on a tune.

If I was going for PDK I would get the S.
I wanted 6-speed so I went with the non-S.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
You could spend 20k in aftermarket options on the non-S before even getting to the S price

Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
So nice to have choices like this....how about this...

Keep the red turbo, which looks sweet! (A properly modded tip is no cupcake and can hang with the best of em, track or street.)

Trade in the Lexus and GTR for 997.2 GT3RS...I know the .2 turbos are definitely a cut above the .1...nobody denies this, but (IMO) it's still not so far ahead that I'd move to it from what you have.

IMO...The newer GT2s and GT3RS have a certain style and finess about them that you don't get with a .1 or .2 turbo.

Just a thought anyway, I'm sure you the like diversity in cars but still something to think about.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
I'd recommend the same, keep it for a few more years and wait for the new gen when it comes available. The 997.2 Turbo S PDK is blisteringly fast though! Quite a few have claimed 0 to 62 times of 2.9 secs... that's almost Bugatti Veyron times! ...which I have driven BTW

Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
next turbo with PDK will surely match the current turbo S in power all while being lighter - 0-60 surely to be in the high 2's with perhaps imroved handling etc. Im holding out for that one.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:57 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
You're too bored with yourself, Vic. LOL

Just keep the car you have now. The Turbo PDK/S cars are brilliant, though I don't think it's enough to justify dumping your gorgeous 997 since it's already modded nicely and the 997 models are on their way out. A cool change for you might be the GT3RS or something. Otherwise, I am not sure if you can completely justify swapping your car for the 997.2

Either way, you always have the greatest taste in cars. Congrats on whatever you do!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:33 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
If you must change it now, then do the non S and spend the money you would have spent on the S into mods.

Otherwise, I would wait until the new model comes out. Dam Vic, don't you have enough other toys to keep you occupied until then?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:51 PM
airmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to all
If you get either PDK car, make sure that it has the paddle shifters, or you'll be sorely disappointed.

Also remember that you can reflash the standard TT to get it to the S power level, but if you ever fry your engine, you may have warranty issues that you won't have with the stock S.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Own 997.1 TT- Thoughts on 997.2 TT or 997.2 TT S